Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 11:41   #1
BHPian

How do front wheel drives and Rear wheel drives behave in a skid

Hello friends and experts I want to know if the rear wheel driven vehicles and front wheel driven vehicles behave differently when we try to recover from a skid. (i.e. when we steer into the skid and floor the accelarator.)
Old 18th August 2010, 12:13   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hello friends and experts I want to know if the rear wheel driven vehicles and front wheel driven vehicles behave differently when we try to recover from a skid. (i.e. when we steer into the skid and floor the accelarator.)
In rear wheel drive:
While starting the car, the mass passes to the back resulting in wheel skidding less.

Whereas in Front wheel drive its the opposite. At immediate start the mass passes to the back but resulting in wheel skidding more.

According to the me, both the versions have their pros and cons. But Front wheel drive cars are cheaper in production compared to the ones with rear wheel drive.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Aarman - I think you got the question wrong

Adrian - What kind of skid are we talking off? Understeer, Oversteer or a 4wheel skid? My basic understanding is that FWD and RWD have opposite results. A RWD car if you floor the accelerator would have the same effect as a FWD if you lifted off the accelerator - Of course we are talking about abrupt actions here!

In a 4wheel skid, is there really much you can do? (Depending on the speeds obviously)

Things like Mass, Power Rations, Engine Layout all affect the outcome of the skid and how to tackle them differently.

I guess one important point is always steer into the skid, not against it.

Don't we have a topic somewhere RWD Vs Fwd?
Old 19th August 2010, 13:57   #4
BHPian

Hi Samir Taheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
My basic understanding is that FWD and RWD have opposite results. A RWD car if you floor the accelerator would have the same effect as a FWD if you lifted off the accelerator - Of course we are talking about abrupt actions here!
This is what I want to know about in details. Lets talk about how they will react to the evasive action on every type of skid. Skids are being the part of basic driving now a days with people racing into the main roads from side alleys without warning and of course the autorickshaws doing their infamous u-turns.

Last edited by adrian : 19th August 2010 at 14:00. Reason: Just found an unwanted sentence in the quote.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In an extreme situation, front wheel drive and rear wheel drive behave very differently.

I guess you are talking about skidding while turning. In this situation a RWD oversteers and a FWD understeers. For a beginner the chances of loosing control of vehicle is more in RWD than in FWD, but then if you know your car well and understand exactly what the tyres are doing at any moment, a RWD skid should be a more controllable (and FUN).

While taking off RWD's provide better grip.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

not only does FR and FF layout matter. Many other factor matters in such situation. Type of suspension, tyre sizes, brakes, Body type, laden weight.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:54   #7
BHPian

I am getting the impression that I should not floor the accelarator of a FWD car when it fish tails ! Am I right?
Old 29th June 2011, 15:09   #8
BHPian

Re: How do front wheel drives and Rear wheel drives behave in a skid

Hey fellas, this may be slightly OT but I request your advice on something.

Until now, I've always driven FWD cars (hatchbacks & sedan) on highways and hills in a spirited manner. Meaning, taking those hilly curves at good speeds. Now am taking a RWD SUV into the hills. What I wanted to check was; what difference(s) would I need to make in my driving style, especially in the hills?

MODS: Please move this post to an appropriate thread if this posting is inappropriate in this one.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Now am taking a RWD SUV into the hills. What I wanted to check was; what difference(s) would I need to make in my driving style, especially in the hills?
Spirited driving is not advisable in an SUV. However, in a rear wheel drive car: Accelerating hard out of a curve with very less traction, might catch you by surprise, and send the vehicle to a spin.

Other than that, it should be fine. btw, which SUV?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 17:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Other than that, it should be fine. btw, which SUV?
The SUV is a Safari 4x4.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The SUV is a Safari 4x4.
I dont think you have to worry much in a Safari. You can notice the body roll much before the vehicle goes into a spin (you accelerate out of the corner).

Drive safe, and have a great trip!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks