Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 03:11   #16

@zazer: check this link. This is where i got the figure of 5.5L from!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ash-flood.html
Old 25th August 2010, 06:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvineet View Post
The water was about 1.5ft high. Our car Honda Civic 2006 model stopped. He then tried to restart (big mistake... already had a big word with him on that ) After 10-15 mins the car started and he just drove home. It was about a 15 mins drive from where the car was stuck.

Water had entered inside the car. The battery light on the panel also started glowing and didnt go off once the car started.
once home, they tried to dry the car inside, though its still wet. The dealer has further terrified my dad saying 'have to check how much damage is there' ..
From what you have described(1.5ft water , car restarting and moving home),I think there isn't too much to worry about,except the battery light glowing.

I have been a victim of the 1998 & 2006 floods here and have restored 2 cars all by myself,so have never had to deal with insurers.

From what I have seen with others, any Insurance Company will allow change of
  • alternator ,ECU with a minor cut by way of depreciation.
  • lights - this will get you only 50% because they're plastic.
Honda,I believe,even changes the wiring harness if they feel it has seen water.

In your case,I don't think you'll have an issue with the ECU.The harness and the alternator would be changed.

Don't worry .Everything will be settled.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:45   #18

Just to update, we are still waiting for the mechanic to turn up. Due to heavy water logging on roads, hes stuck somewhere :(
Old 25th August 2010, 15:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

you don't necessarily need to replace the alternator. As i told before, dry it.

Your car was working perfectly even after your father waded through, isn't it?
Old 25th August 2010, 15:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

Maximum damage happens when water enters the engine, and hydrostatic lock happens. Such an engine will be heavily damaged, and will not start.
Since the car is running fine, there is not water inside the engine, however a couple of sensors may have gone kaput.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:54   #21

Finally the mechanic turned up. Hes tested a few things and here is what he said:

1. Engine seems to be fine as movement is there
2. Air filter and some other parts have had water
3. Car needs to be towed to the Service station to dry all the parts and then refit and check
4. Some internal wiring might have melted due to water causing the engine check light

Over all he feels the damage is not much, but would be able to confirm only once they have the car in the showroom and dried everything up and tested. He asked if we wanted to start and check. Left the choice to him and he advised against it. So now more wait till tomorrow once the car is towed to their showroom (approx 40 kms from our place)

Will keep you all updated!
Old 25th August 2010, 23:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Engine seems to be fine as movement is there
2. Air filter and some other parts have had water
3. Car needs to be towed to the Service station to dry all the parts and then refit and check
4. Some internal wiring might have melted due to water causing the engine check light

Glad to know that you're engine is fine. Although do keep us updated about the procedures at the A.S.S.

Quote:
He asked if we wanted to start and check. Left the choice to him and he advised against it.
What kind of a mechanic would ask an ignorant/nervous customer an important question like this?. It should be the mech who should make critical decisions like this.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Glad to know that you're engine is fine. Although do keep us updated about the procedures at the A.S.S.

Will do for sure. Dad is planning to take to A.S.S on Friday as hes busy tomorrow (hes a doctor so a number of appointments which he cant reschedule). And we have decided that he goes there. as this dealership though good recently has changed hands.. and i dont trust the new owner. the previous owner is a sort of friend, so if this A.S.S. (at Karnal, Haryana) quotes a high amount, Dad is gonna take the car back. I will then call the previous owner who still owns dealerships in Punjab to send someone to have a look.

What kind of a mechanic would ask an ignorant/nervous customer an important question like this?. It should be the mech who should make critical decisions like this.
I totally understand. My dad was also furious when he asked this question and so was I when he told me. Thats why we have decided the above (re taking car and bringing back in case of a high quote)
Old 26th August 2010, 16:53   #24
BHPian

mvineet: Please chose the words carefully when applying for insurance. If the insurance guys come to know that you have started the car after it stalled in water, they will refuse to honor the claim.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
mvineet: Please chose the words carefully when applying for insurance. If the insurance guys come to know that you have started the car after it stalled in water, they will refuse to honor the claim.
Thanks Lord. Already told my dad the same
Old 26th August 2010, 18:40   #26

Update

Guys, a quick update. My dad contacted the taxi company to arrange for a taxi to tow the car to the showroom. the owner respects my dad a lot, so this morning he came with his own mechanic to check the car. Didnt start but just checked the engine. He said it only requires an air filter and oil filter change.. Rest seemed good to him. He spoent quite a bit of time to check and the taxi company owner said the mechanic is quite reliable as he only works on all the cars (including city, optra etc) of his firm..
So now the onus on Honda as to what they say about it tomorrow. If they say anything else, not sure what to do. I want to call my friend in Jalandhar. Need your advise.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

Is it possible for your dad to be present when Honda inspects the car? Flood damage is a big cash cow to dealerships, and sometimes they can try to fleece the customer thinking insurance will pay.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is it possible for your dad to be present when Honda inspects the car? Flood damage is a big cash cow to dealerships, and sometimes they can try to fleece the customer thinking insurance will pay.
Yes my Dad is going to be there. The car left our home around 10.30 this morning and dad left about 20 mins after that. I am waiting for his call to confirm what Honda said.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:52   #29

Update

Not sure if this happens at all Honda A.S.S or only at this one.. Nothing is clear as of now. They are changing the engine oil and air filter and say after that only would be able to advise on the engine condition and damage if any. Additionally have to dry the floor by taking the carpet and foam underneath off. Also said there are the ECU for ABS below the floor and if they are damaged its about 15K per unit. Nothing sure at this moment though. Just keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 28th August 2010, 08:33   #30

Update

Quick Update. Honda A.S.S. Manager called last evening. The engine is fine. They have run it for quite a long time now.. Next thing is the ABS units under the carpet floor.. These would be checked today and confirmed. As of now the estimate provided is 10700/- which includes 3700/- for drying and dryclean of the seats, floor and the roof.. Plus there is Oil Filter, Air Filter and Oil which has been changed...
I am off for 3 days now, so would provide more updates once I am back.

Thanks to everyone who provided me with info and updates.. Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks