Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 13:17   #31
BHPian

Re: ARAI mileage norms!

Fuel consumption per rev or 1000 revs or some 1M or 1B rev should be good.

LPH may also be misleading if you leave the engine at different RPM.

Also they should mention the consumption at a realistic standard load (vehicle + 2 normal human beings for two wheelers, 4 for four wheelers, some 50% load for pickups and so on).

consumption per (so many) rev can then be multiplied with gear ratio and everything else in the drivetrain to get a "real world"-ish figure

-Just my opinion
Old 24th November 2021, 14:01   #32
BHPian

While thinking of ARAI mileage norms, I am reminded of a conversation with one of my friends who worked in Vehicle Validation Team. The information is that, When a new model car is set for mileage testing in the ARAI mill, they ensure the SOC of the battery is above 95%. They ensure this overnight by charging the battery so that they can eke out a 0.2kmpl extra in the overall mileage figure. The SOC of a daily use car battery would never be close to 95%. No wonder the common public rarely get the ARAI figures quoted by the OEM.
Old 24th November 2021, 15:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Sitting in Mumbai traffic for hours on end I begin to think that the whole ARAI milage determination system for cars is flawed. Should cars in Mumbai and Bangalore get an alternative/additional system of grading milage? Maybe like a tractor does? Litres per hour (LPH) might be a more accurate system to have alongside KMPL.

You are not entirely off the mark.

Generators have fuel consumption indicated in Liters Per Hour, for both Idling as well as under Load.
I think we should have a counter in the MID which shows the amount of fuel that is being used currently, when the vehicle is stationary and is idling.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
You are not entirely off the mark.

Generators have fuel consumption indicated in Liters Per Hour, for both Idling as well as under Load.
I think we should have a counter in the MID which shows the amount of fuel that is being used currently, when the vehicle is stationary and is idling.
I think some VW cars have that info in the MID screen.

I remember in my Jetta, the vehicle mileage would default to litres/hour when the car was idling. Pretty neat way to figure out how much fuel your AC was consuming while you sit in your stationary car.

I am not sure, but I think my S60 also has a litres/hour read out when the car is stationary. Will have to check again.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Sitting in Mumbai traffic for hours on end I begin to think that the whole ARAI milage determination system for cars is flawed. Should cars in Mumbai and Bangalore get an alternative/additional system of grading milage? Maybe like a tractor does? Litres per hour (LPH) might be a more accurate system to have alongside KMPL.

Ps, this is in jest. Lest the perpetually outraged start telling me how it’s not feasible/scientific to arrive at such a determination.
A nice thought!

May I add a metric like "Fuel consumed while idling " to be displayed on the MID along with the trip details? It would at least give a macro perspective of how much we are burning at traffic junctions and idle times.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks