Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 22:50   #16
BHPian

The car became dirty after all these adventures.

So the wash was basically pointless.

Interior detailing (wash) is $50 minimum. You can get coin operated vaccum machines like $1 per hour or something, but have to do it myself.

Now have to wash the car again.
Old 1st September 2010, 22:58   #17
BHPian

Jomz, when you are in US its always better to get your part from Napa and ask the guy to replace the parts. Also we should insists that the old part be returned. this I learned the hard way. Man this is going to be interesting. I am glued to this thread now.
Old 1st September 2010, 23:18   #18
BHPian

NAPA's horror story is will be coming soon.
Old 1st September 2010, 23:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Something like that happened to my car.
A battery terminal was loose [which i didn't know at the time].
Was driving around & clutched while going over a bump.
Shortly after i depressed the clutch, all electricals failed [headlights, ignition, stereo].
But as soon as i released the clutch everything came back to life.
Was on a bad patch of road, so i drove for a couple of minutes.
Stopped on the side and shut off everything.
All electricals failed again and the car refused to start. [Not like a weak battery, but no battery.]

Popped the hood and the battery terminal was completely off the battery.
It wasn't even touching the terminal. [don't remember which one though]

Reconnected it and everything came back to life again.

This happened over a year ago, no problems / after effects yet.

Lucky me i guess.
Experienced the EXACT same thing with my Mazda.

@Jomz - Bring 'em on man!
Old 1st September 2010, 23:38   #20
BHPian

So, I called up a lawyer and he asked me to contact the better business bureau. So before doing that I thought I'll drop by the garage Friday morning and ask what is he upto.

Aug 13th 8am 2010.

I drive it to the garage and say that the work is not upto my satisfaction. The car is not safe for 10 miles, forget 300 miles. Asked him to fix everything.

Theere were arguments and then the guy told he'll look into everything for free. I told him He better , Or I'm going drive it out, let a car rear end me and both of us and both of our insurance companies are going to sue him - because he neglected to look at the brake lights.

Well then things started moving in the earnest, the HVAC panel was replaced for FREE!! A junkyard panel though- but it works. The HVAC panel replacement somehow fixed the radiator fans. the brake light wiring was checked and reaplced again for FREE!!

So finally by 3pm I have a supposedly safe car as asked in the work request. Airbag light is still on. And a window does not roll down.

Meanwhile all the parts used were NAPA parts , bought by the garage guy. Parts were not returned because most of the parts have a "core charge"

Took the car for a test drive. After 3000rpm all the warning lghts come on!!! Again.

took the car back - the guy told all his techs have left. Dang I'm back to square 1 again.

Took the car to an autozone, the NAPA alternator is giving an output of 17V above 3000rpm.

I got fed up will all these freaks and decided to drive to Indianapolis. I drove keeping the rpm's below 3000 and made it all the 300 miles. I could see the headlights brighten when rpms reach around 2800 and the warning lights come up by 3000rpm. Somehow made it back to indianapolis.
Old 1st September 2010, 23:50   #21
BHPian

Aug 16th

Drove it to local Honda dealer.
dealer says - He is very busy will lok it only on Aug 23rd.

took appointment for 23rd and came back - making sure that rpm's are below 3000.

Aug 23rd.

Honda dealer fixes the window motor issue ( It was the switch) and the airbag light (Needed a reset). He is not sure what are causing the lights to come up. He suspects the Napa alternator , but since the alternator is new he says that should not cause the problem. Anyway i ask him to replace the alternator with OEM Honda.

Aug 24-Aug 30

Alternator in Transit!!!!!!!! I thought in US dealers gets parts fast. A 1999 Honda is one of the most common cars here- like an 800 in India or so. And an alternator not in stock???

Aug 30

Alternator replaced. No more warning lights. holding 14V steady throughout rpm range.

And I drove the car off from the dealer, with a smile.
the most expensive carwash ever.

1100 at chicago cheats and 700 at HASS.

The honda lives to see another day.

Now talks are going on to return the defective NAPA alternator.

The end.

Lessons learned -

1, If a Honda runs, let it run till something breaks down.
2, Trust your Gut feeling about the car.
3, If you don't have a clue what is broken, authorized service is the best option.
Old 2nd September 2010, 01:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Jomz, Mann, this is one of the best stories I'v recently seen in t-bhp. Very well written!.

One more lesson learnt by me - Never Disconnect your battery while the engine is running.

Glad that your car is fine now, and btw, did you go on with the legal proceedings?. Is that another gluey story just like the previous ones?.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd September 2010 at 01:54.
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:00   #23
BHPian

Hmm no, Since they fulfilled my original request ( A safe running car ) , i had no grounds to push them legally.
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hmm no, Since they fulfilled my original request ( A safe running car ) , i had no grounds to push them legally.
Man that's a tiresome experience you had with car, and a JOB Joining the next day.

However I would advice you to get the car serviced or properly examined if there are still issues with it, this time you were alone but as I read in you earlier post, wife is coming so you better keep the wheels in good shape, it would be very odd situation with stranded on middle of no-where and wife along.

Lastly, I am sure there's a long long do's and don'ts on some honda forum, so you can revise it, so those hefty bills are kept away.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:05   #25
BHPian

That was another reason why I went to HASS, they give warantee on their work for 10,000 miles/ 1 year.

My insurance has free 100mile towing, So I'm not much worried about getting stranded.
Wifey is going to be picked up in a rental car, maybe the camaro?? She is coming to chicago airport.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:50   #26
BHPian

Just to finish it up.

Update Sept 3rd.

HASS charges $50 extra to return the defective NAPA alternator.
NAPA refunds $140 for the defective alternator - They say that was the price they sold it to the chicago garage.

THe garage in Chicago charged me $210 earlier as the part cost for alternator., including their markup.

I miss the stuff which used to come with the sticker in India, MRP not to exceed...
Old 4th September 2010, 02:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Just to finish it up.

I miss the stuff which used to come with the sticker in India, MRP not to exceed...
Doesn't every thing in US markets comes with bar coding which can let you check the pricing and details of the products ?

I always assumed bar codes are the things which can decode the pricing set by manufacturers.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Doesn't every thing in US markets comes with bar coding which can let you check the pricing and details of the products ?

I always assumed bar codes are the things which can decode the pricing set by manufacturers.
The bar code has the UPC EAN number. That is linked to SKU (stock keeping Unit) number, which in turn has a price linked to it. Its all in the retailer's retail chain system. Most of the foodstuff, clothes (non brandname) in US does not have a price tag explicitly written on it. It varies from retailer to retailer. Anyone can retail anything at any price - its upto you to match every retailer and save. Walmart can sell you a box of choc for $5, target may sell it at $5.50.
Only place where I have seen price tags on clothes is in discount stores like tjmax, ross, marshalls etc or in brand name clothing stores.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2010 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks