Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 07:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Painting a car on a rainy day

My 800 had some denting work done after it had a accident a couple of weeks ago.The only thing remaining is the painting of the panels.Now the guy to whom i gave the car for repairs was not able to finish the paint job as he says he can't get the same done as it was raining and the weather is not formidable to get the paint job done.

Is this because he may have a open air type paint booth or is it that it's just not possible to paint a car even if one has a proper enclosed paint booth/workshop when it rains.

I am considering taking the car to MASS to get it painted considering it's been a couple of weeks and i am tired of hearing the "rain" excuse from my garage guy.I know this might be expensive then the garage but i want to get the job done.I just hope MASS does not turn me away saying that it's 'raining' and the car painting cannot be done as the rains have no signs of stopping.

So tell me guys can't a car be painted in a workshop on a rainy day ?

thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 08:14   #2
BANNED

Hi,
You can paint a car at any time of the year as long as you have the correct set up in this case a paint booth. As the primer and paint are cured via a heated chamber the job besides being done faster is also more perfect as almost no moisture remains.

Viper
Old 8th September 2010, 08:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,
You can paint a car at any time of the year as long as you have the correct set up in this case a paint booth. As the primer and paint are cured via a heated chamber the job besides being done faster is also more perfect as almost no moisture remains.

Viper
My garage guy said he used heaters but it still did not help. Does this mean he's taking me for a ride or he simply has a open air workshop for a paint booth.

I know the garage where i left the car is not enclosed and he said that he had to take the car to some place else for the paint work which i do not know whether is a properly sheltered shop.
Old 8th September 2010, 08:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am considering taking the car to MASS to get it painted considering it's been a couple of weeks and i am tired of hearing the "rain" excuse from my garage guy.
Pls do; MASS will be able to get the job done, rains are mere excuse. I got both my bumpers painted & fixed on a single day & no one depends on Sun light to dry paint these days; even if they do, pollution will help to turn away the original color. As viper says, everyone is using heater. Either your local garage doesn't have heater or he's simply buying time. See my experience on bumpers here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-change.html

Quote:
I know this might be expensive then the garage but i want to get the job done.
Yes little expensive; also note that, if you give the painting job to MASS, they HAVE to match the color. What I mean by matching is that, say the right side bottom of your door is dented & they carry out tinkering at the bottom. After completing the work, the entire right side should look uniform in color, or atleast the entire door should look uniform. I've been told by MASS that this is the procedure to follow & hence its expensive. The local garage guys only paint the bottom leaving alone the door, making it look little odd.

Quote:
I just hope MASS does not turn me away saying that it's 'raining' and the car painting cannot be done as the rains have no signs of stopping.
See if MASS will simply accept the paint job alone. You may want to find out a small time MASS player in your locality & avoid bigger ones as they've their own schedule & may not accept small jobs.

Quote:
So tell me guys can't a car be painted in a workshop on a rainy day ?
Very much possible & hope you're convinced by now.

Last edited by aargee : 8th September 2010 at 08:29.
Old 8th September 2010, 08:47   #5
BANNED

Quote:
My garage guy said he used heaters but it still did not help. Does this mean he's taking me for a ride or he simply has a open air workshop for a paint booth.

I know the garage where i left the car is not enclosed and he said that he had to take the car to some place else for the paint work which i do not know whether is a properly sheltered shop.
Hi,

He is probably using light/halogen bulbs to try and dry the paint as was done in the past when paint booths were not existent in India.

If a garage is using is using a proper booth then there is no reason why the process should be delayed. It is also dust free.

Viper
Old 8th September 2010, 09:22   #6
BHPian

Most probably he does not have a paint booth. Not only drying but during the painting process too, its better if its on a non-rainy day, to avoid moisture in the air, interfering with the paint adhering to the surface. The after effects might not show up immediately but much later
Old 8th September 2010, 09:44   #7
BHPian

To be honest not many workshops can afford a paint booth. It is the best place to paint a car.

Now since its evident that he doesn't have a paint booth then its your call as to how early you want the car to be painted.

The reason for not painting during the monsoon is that the moisture in the air will get caught up on the primer/base coat and this might induce bubbles. Also if the paint is completely stripped down to bare metal then the moisture in the air will cause corrosion later (viper please correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 8th September 2010, 10:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all of you guys for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pls do; MASS will be able to get the job done, rains are mere excuse......
Very much possible & hope you're convinced by now.
Hi,
i have booked with sai service MASS for sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
The reason for not painting during the monsoon is that the moisture in the air will get caught up on the primer/base coat and this might induce bubbles. Also if the paint is completely stripped down to bare metal then the moisture in the air will cause corrosion later (viper please correct me if i'm wrong).
Have attached picture of the unfinished work.I am worried the rain will cause corrosion and also can't bear to see the car this way.

Can i claim insurance just for the paint, i decided not to go with same as the original quote by my garage was 2800 inlcuing paint and dent. I have already paid 2k as he finished the denting work which included work to the door and a little to the rear fender.It also included fitting of bonnet hinges(i had already purchased the same)

Now i had calle a SA at MASS whose mob no i had and he quoted 2600 for just painting. Seems like if i were to go in for MASS i am going to have to pay almost twice my original quote.I didn't wanted to claim insurance for i thought i might lose out on NCB.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a car on a rainy day-photo0164.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 10:26   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
To be honest not many workshops can afford a paint booth. It is the best place to paint a car.

Hi,

That used to be the reason till paint booths came in. Even today small garages who do not own a paint booth finish all the prep work at their place and then take the car to a rented booth and spray it. That is not the correct way but then they cannot afford the charges and hence they charge less to the customer as well.

A correct job would be to first take the car into a booth and pressure wash it in there to remove any dirt that might be stuck, then use pressurised air to remove the loose water droplets , heat the car to a preset temp for a couple of hours so that all moisture in the base coat is evaporated and then paint the car. Ideally the car should not leave the booth during this entire process till the paint is cured.

Viper

@Sumeet - Go ahead andpay that 2.6k at least it will be reliable

Last edited by viper : 8th September 2010 at 10:28.
Old 1st November 2012, 20:34   #10
BHPian

Re: Painting a car on a rainy day

Hi,

I gave my Alto for dent removal and painting of right fender and both right doors on Monday to Kalyani Motors, Avalahalli. I have claimed insurance for the same. When I called the service advisor on Wednesday afternoon, he said that only painting is pending and I told him that if the painting quality has to be compromised because of the current bad weather (rain and chillness), he can delay the painting as I am very particular about getting a perfect finish, for which he said he will wait until Friday, Thursday being a holiday.

Now, my question to the experts is:
1. As it still continues to rain here in Bangalore, should I ask them to wait until the weather condition improves?
OR
2. Should I go ahead and get the painting done not bothering about the weather as they do have a paint booth? - Since they have a paint booth, are all the drawbacks of painting in bad weather eliminated?

Awaiting quick responses as I need to take a decision by tomorrow morning! I don't want to compromise on quality at any cost!
Old 1st November 2012, 21:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Painting a car on a rainy day

Unless the booth is proper and all drying is done in the booth, it is better to wait. Moisture in the air when painting or drying will cause bubbles later on and possibly even rust. If the booth is dust proof and has heating inside, and the car can stay in till the paint is dry, then paint. Check with the MASS and decide accordingly

Most Viewed