Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 10:14   #1
BHPian

"Sucking" sound after Throttle Body and Injector Cleaning

Guys
I am not sure as to whether this problem started to happen just after or a few days after I got the Throttle Body and Injectors cleaned in my Maruti Zen (2000) that has clocked 115000Kms till date.

During the test drive that I had after the above job was done, the music was playing and I couldn't "hear" much of the engine noise. It was perceivable silent and very responsive than before.
Actually, my Zen is now capable of going upto 40-45 Kmph in first gear and 85Kmph in second gear until the limiter spoils the fun.
There is no performance drop, only gain.
The problem is this noise that is like a "sucking" noise that I can make out comes from the air filter side of the hood when I am in the driver's seat.
This sound is present just when you start the engine and increases in intensity and volume as the engine gains revs.
What do I make out of this?
What to check?
Old 24th September 2010, 13:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check for any gap/crack in the intake unit. Ask the mech to also have a look at the vacuum hoses while he's at it.

Shan2nu
Old 24th September 2010, 14:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

As said by Shan2nu above it must be definitely a leak somewhere in the air intake system.

Spike
Old 24th September 2010, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Open the air filter box and check if an air filter is present
Old 24th September 2010, 19:46   #5
BHPian

Sixth Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Open the air filter box and check if an air filter is present
Pranav, you know what, this is probably what I had been thinking all this while. Even before I noticed this sound, I had these pictures in my mind wherein the MASS mechanic has accidentally forgotten to take back the Air Filter from the guy whom he asked to clean it with compressed air. But, I thought they do this everyday so it's silly to think like this.
I am seriously going to check it first hand when my sister brings back the car.
What do I do if there really isn't an air filter in there?
Old 24th September 2010, 20:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you can spare time, go to MASS and fight for an air filter. Else, buy a new one. The stock one is quite cheap anyways, so it depends on how valuable your time and peace is.
Old 24th September 2010, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Arrey, damn!
The air filter IS there!
What else could be wrong?
Old 25th September 2010, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey abhi,

I had faced a similar problem, wherein I had removed the air filter & the cover for adjusting the timing of the car. When I fixed everything back, I started noticing this sound (it appeared similar to a turbo's swoosh sound).

I checked this by taking a big piece of cloth & covering in parts the entire length of the air intake system, right from the raidiator to the box & to the throttle body. The connection at the throttle body was loose, the metal ring to hold the pipe in place had a bad screw or something & it was loose. One replaced, it got solved.

Maybe it is the same problem in your case.

Drive safe.
Old 25th September 2010, 18:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
right from the radiator to the box & to the throttle body.
I didn't understand this, any pics?
Old 25th September 2010, 21:58   #10
BHPian

Guys, I am now feeling very frustrated.
Just a couple of minutes back I opened by car's hood and quite surprisingly I could make out that the lower half of the air filter box has an inlet from the fender. The seal joining the two as well as the pipes were dislocated. I opened it up and fitted the inlet pipe from the fender back to the air filter box.
Surprisingly, there is still no decline in the sound. All other connections appear to be tight.

Could it be the fan belt or timing belt?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 25th September 2010 at 22:04. Reason: Added a question at footer
Old 25th September 2010, 22:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I had faced a similar problem, wherein I had removed the air filter & the cover for adjusting the timing of the car. The connection at the throttle body was loose, the metal ring to hold the pipe in place had a bad screw or something & it was loose. One replaced, it got solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys, I am now feeling very frustrated. Surprisingly, there is still no decline in the sound. All other connections appear to be tight.
I think blackfire_9 meant this connection, the jubilee clip under the number '2' in the pic.

Name:  TB_Alto_1.PNG
Views: 12186
Size:  907.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Could it be the fan belt or timing belt?
Unlikely, even if you had a problem with the timing belt, it wouldn't be anything like the sound you're hearing. The fan runs off the battery, so you don't have a fan belt - you do have a couple that run the alternator, water-pump, & A/C though. It sure sounds like just an air leak somewhere - you just have to listen & isolate it. Better yet, take it your regular M.A.S.S, but for something like this, even a road-side mechanic should do...

Last edited by im_srini : 25th September 2010 at 22:34.
Old 25th September 2010, 22:39   #12
BHPian

The jubilee clips are tight.
Do we need to have a jubilee clip at the fender-air filter box joint as well?
Old 26th September 2010, 09:19   #13
BHPian

Okay guys, I just returned from the MASS which is a block away from my place, they say that the "Adjuster Pulley Bearings" need to be changed and the cost would be close to 250 to 300 ti fix it. Could this be the problem?
The noise as heard after opening the bonnet does seem to be originating somewhere from the bottom and it "dies" down the moment the car is switched off.
Is this adjuster pulley for the fan belt/timing belt? Shall I go ahead with this repair?

The noise is exactly like this-

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 26th September 2010 at 09:38.
Old 26th September 2010, 19:11   #14
BHPian

Okay guys, the MASS fixed the issue in no time. They changed the Adjuster Pulley bearings and the engine is now eerily silent. I can now appreciate the 900 rupees I spent on getting the Throttle Body and Injector cleaned alongwith Tappet adjustment.
It sounds so cool now.
But, I have another query.
If I rev the car to a high RPM and then give two-to three more revs thereafter, I hear a sound like an intake when I step off gas. The sound is very brief and very hard to make out and is heard for a duration of maybe 1/4 of a second. Definitely sounds like air and comes somewhere from the fender. All this when the car is in neutral and I am standing outside. Is it normal?

By the way the bill read-
Rs. 259 for Adjuster Pulley Bearings
Rs. 100 Labour
Old 26th September 2010, 20:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey abhi, good to know that the sound has been fixed now. In my case, it was the same jubilee clip that srini identified correctly.

Drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks