Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 22:57   #1
BHPian

New white Swift colour turning pale

I am not sure if there is a similar question for this, moderators kindly move it to right forum if necessary.

I have a 3 months (NEW) swift and it has already started giving yellow tint on some parts like left fender and left door. I had first observed this within 2 months of purchase, I dont like the car washers in my area as they wash 3-4 cars with 1 bucket of water. I usually wash car myself on sundays (though not regularly) with Turtle wax car shampoo and get it completely washed through service station once a month.

I did ask a local painter about this and he said "peeli ho rahi hai toh, COMPOUND karva lo, sirf Rs.500 mein ho jaayega". I didnt get very convinced by what he was saying as he didnt give me a convincing answer when I asked him what kind of chemical is COMPOUND?

BTW I have got year old fiesta (platinum colour) and it has been waxoyled and it shines like new always, should I go ahead with waxoyl and will this paleness go away with waxoyl?

Experts please advise as to how can I get rid of this?
Old 27th September 2010, 02:33   #2
BHPian

White colour is very adaptive and looks different under white light and yellow light. What surprises me is the yellow tint only on the left door and fender? Have to tried asking someone else if he/she notices the shade difference? or is it just your eyes playing tricks?

If there is a clear consensus about the problem then I suspect a bad QC by Maruti. With the delivery periods for Swifts going above 4 months, it is most likely that MUL did a hasty job.

The "COMPOUND" is nothing but "Rubbing Compound". For Example the "TurtleWax Rubbing Compound".

New white Swift colour turning pale-turtlewax_rc.jpg

The local painter uses a locally made RC that is usually orange in colour and is much more abrasive than branded RC. The chemicals in the RC dissolves road grime and dirt, smoothens minor scratches and makes the paint lustrous. I DO NOT recommend doing this on a new car unless you want to get rid of minor scratches. The TurtleWax RC is available for Rs. 200/-. You can check if the RC makes any difference by testing it on an inconspicuous area on the door or fender.

BTW, Waxoyl is a just a rust-preventative fluid used primarily to prolong the life of car chassis and bodywork. I don't see how Waxoyl can remove paleness.
---------------------
Chewbacca
Old 27th September 2010, 07:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Take the car to the same dealer from whom you have purchased it and it has to be rectified under warranty and if the dealer is not receptive contact MZIL.

It would also be possible that the fender and door would have been repainted before delivery to you due to any mishandling by the dealer's personnel.

I myself has seen undelivered Ritz with fender removed lying at a deler's service centre in Kochi. For what???. Yes, You guessed it right.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
I am not sure if there is a similar question for this, moderators kindly move it to right forum if necessary.

I have a 3 months (NEW) swift and it has already started giving yellow tint on some parts like left fender and left door. I had first observed this within 2 months of purchase, I dont like the car washers in my area as they wash 3-4 cars with 1 bucket of water. I usually wash car myself on sundays (though not regularly) with Turtle wax car shampoo and get it completely washed through service station once a month.

I did ask a local painter about this and he said "peeli ho rahi hai toh, COMPOUND karva lo, sirf Rs.500 mein ho jaayega". I didnt get very convinced by what he was saying as he didnt give me a convincing answer when I asked him what kind of chemical is COMPOUND?

BTW I have got year old fiesta (platinum colour) and it has been waxoyled and it shines like new always, should I go ahead with waxoyl and will this paleness go away with waxoyl?

Experts please advise as to how can I get rid of this?
That's so sad for a brand new baby. I know how it will feel like. A picture would've been very informative. Is the color difference noticeable in the first look itself or does it need some detailed checks to be visible? The best method to do should be to contact A.S.S as and ask them to check the vehicle in direct sunlight. Inspection inside their service area may not come out correct since white paint depends on the ambient light also. Chances are there that it may be minor oxidation also. So get this to the notice of A.S.S as soon as possible, if they are ignoring contact Maruti regional service head directly. A ticket in "Anytime Maruti" will also help. I am telling from my experience. Sometimes they may say like they have sent pictures to Maruti and awaiting response and all those usual things. If they tell something like that, do contact Maruti directly. These A.S.S guys tend to lie a lot. In my case, they told they're awaiting reply and when I checked with Maruti, they told no complain has come to their side. Best of luck and update once the issue is resolved.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I suspect left door and fender MAY have been repainted due to some damage before delivering the car to you. There's no reason why the paint should change shades, that too so soon !
Old 27th September 2010, 14:07   #6
BHPian

Before you try anything, I would suggest you to bring this to the notice of dealer. A brand new car fading sounds something suspicious, get it inspected and rectified only with the dealer.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:16   #7
BHPian

Is your swift a diesel variant? Since you are talking about the left rear, is it near the tank? This is common on white diesel cars as the attendants remove the hose with few drops still tricling out. This leaves a stain on the car and is more apparent on white ones. A rubbing will solve this problem if it is diesel stain.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:24   #8
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I suspect left door and fender MAY have been repainted due to some damage before delivering the car to you. There's no reason why the paint should change shades, that too so soon !
+1

This should be the reason for the fading. For white and pastel coloured cars, the top coat has to be extremely light & heat fast. May be the dealer used some cheap top coats after painting the specific components. It is best to get it checked with the dealer and ask him for a replacement/repainting.

Click photos of the components which have the faded yellow tone before taking it to the dealer and write an email to MSIL
Old 27th September 2010, 16:26   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the response guys, well the yellow tint is not directly visible but shows up more when car is just washed and dried.
As suggested I would get this checked at the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Is your swift a diesel variant? Since you are talking about the left rear, is it near the tank? This is common on white diesel cars as the attendants remove the hose with few drops still tricling out. This leaves a stain on the car and is more apparent on white ones. A rubbing will solve this problem if it is diesel stain.
It is diesel but the yellow tint is not near the fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
That's so sad for a brand new baby. I know how it will feel like. A picture would've been very informative. Is the color difference noticeable in the first look itself or does it need some detailed checks to be visible? The best method to do should be to contact A.S.S as and ask them to check the vehicle in direct sunlight. Inspection inside their service area may not come out correct since white paint depends on the ambient light also. Chances are there that it may be minor oxidation also. So get this to the notice of A.S.S as soon as possible, if they are ignoring contact Maruti regional service head directly. A ticket in "Anytime Maruti" will also help. I am telling from my experience. Sometimes they may say like they have sent pictures to Maruti and awaiting response and all those usual things. If they tell something like that, do contact Maruti directly. These A.S.S guys tend to lie a lot. In my case, they told they're awaiting reply and when I checked with Maruti, they told no complain has come to their side. Best of luck and update once the issue is resolved.
Firstly, thanks everyone for the response.

Yellow tint is not directly visible but gets highlighted more when car is just washed and dried.

As suggested I would get this checked at dealership and let me hear what they have to say, if response is not satisfactory I would take the way you have suggested.

I wish it is not the repainted parts or a bad QC.

Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2010 at 09:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 28th September 2010, 11:47   #10
mgh
BHPian

the pigment used for white color is either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Cheaper paints use zinc oxide, which when exposed to pollution, tends to turn yellowish. Car paints afaik use titanium dioxide so that they do not yellow. The large number of white indica taxis is a proof of that.
If the tint is visible all the time, then clearly a cheap paint has been used on the car some time. Since you mention that it is visible just after washing when the body reflects more, try washing it once in a different place once, to rule out the possibility of the colors of the surroundings being reflected.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:46   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
Yellow tint is not directly visible but gets highlighted more when car is just washed and dried.
Water is a heck of a story-teller. A wet car (whether in the rains, or right after a wash) makes its repainted panels more obvious than a dry one. I'm inclined to believe that the yellow tint is a sign of repainting. Get an answer from the dealership, and also take an opinion from an independent body shop. If any panel has been repainted, your dealer should be taken to task. He's cheated you. When you buy a new car, you should be delivered a perfect brand new car, not a repaired one.

Once you have an expert assessment, make sure to bring Maruti into the picture.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yellow tint on selective white panels suggest that the paint is getting affected by UV light. Only way this can happen is in a repainted panel without UV safe clear coat on top. Catch your dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks