Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 21:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aftermarket Engine Thread.

Well I started this thread to discuss various aftermarket engine options available.

In west they have many professional tuning and engine company. We had none, many members buy (except GTO who bought a brand new XDP from Mahindra itself) salvaged engine from accidental cars from Garages, Insurance company or Kabadi or even foreign scrap importer.

Many company like Cooper (not to be confused with John Cooper Works) and Cosworth are in india officially and many of our members are working in automotive field as engineers and tuners.

Can we discuss the cost, feasibility, compatibility, dealers, availability factor of those engine in this thread.

We can also discuss which manufacturer sells engine directly and easily without any haggling.

--kenden

Some manufacturer that i came across.
Cooper Foundry
Cosworth India
Old 29th July 2010, 22:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

J&J (Jitu and Jiggy) have put B16s in their Citys.

We've got couple of MIVEC/V6 Lancers.

Of course, we have E-Zens
Old 29th July 2010, 23:01   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
J&J (Jitu and Jiggy) have put B16s in their Citys.

We've got couple of MIVEC/V6 Lancers.

Of course, we have E-Zens
Nice thread Alec.!

We are not fortunate enough compared to west when it comes to engines and gearboxes.

I am searching around for a simple , small 3 pot engine other than Maruti and an Auto gearbox. 1 year ON, and not found one.

Coimbatore guys must help us here, heard you get lot of good engines and gearboxes there. Wonder how?
Old 29th July 2010, 23:13   #4
BHPian

A wonderful initiative!

Ive been contemplating a diesel engine swap for a saloon ideally in the 140-150bhp mark. Apart from the current model launches , its proving nigh impossible to find an aftermarket option . Here's hoping this thread would pour more light on viable purchase options.
Old 29th July 2010, 23:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Back in 90s diesel engine swaps were v popular among non-enthusiasts. Toyota, Isuzu and Mitsu most popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I am searching around for a simple , small 3 pot engine other than Maruti and an Auto gearbox. 1 year ON, and not found one.
Daihatsu is the only one I can think of. I think they are popular in Malaysia as Perodua. If you can fit a 4 pot in there why not just go for that?
Old 29th September 2010, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Changing engines of cars in India

I was seeing a show on Discovery Turbo and there they have shown cars can be re-engined. They scrap the old engine and fit in a new engine with gearbox et al.
Is this done in India ? Also w.r.t buying a new car how much does this cost. For instance say can a Honda non Vtec be made a VTec using the existing shell , gear box ? Views , thoughts ?
If yes then , do companies who make cars sell their engines outside ?
Old 29th September 2010, 17:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its illegal and yes the engines are available but the cost of the new engine is almost the 50% value of the car so its not feasible
Old 29th September 2010, 17:59   #8
BANNED

Though it is possible in india, but it is not much worth, since mostly car companies wont sell engines in market, though we can get engines for replacement of faulty or accident crushed engine, but it will take much time to get delivered to us and the cost of that engine will not be worth changing compared with depreciation of vehicle.

Also it will lead to RTO scuffles and follow ups, re-sale value of car once changed engine etc. But it is possible. at the cost of our hole in our pocket, which is not worth in many cases.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 29th September 2010 at 18:01.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

This engine swap is not anything new, but only has increased complexity with the time. Remember the good old Ambassador's 1.5D engine used to be replaced with scrapped Isuzu diesel engine from Japan & Matador's gear box from the mid 80's?

I guess even now there's some mods possible. Another classic example is replacing old 3 cylinder Alto's (LXi) engine with WagonR's 4 cylinder engine.

As far as I remember there used to be a company called Jayam auto in Coimbatore that used to make Diesel engine which were perfect fit for Fiat, again in 90's. As of now, I don't think any company manufactures engines & supplies it in the market.
Old 30th September 2010, 10:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Its illegal and yes the engines are available but the cost of the new engine is almost the 50% value of the car so its not feasible
I agree about the value but why is it illegal ? If I replace the engine with similar cubic capacity without modifying anything else (hypothetically) then why should RTA/RTO object ?
Old 30th September 2010, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

yes the engine number of the new engine will not match the engine no. on the R/C
Old 30th September 2010, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I was seeing a show on Discovery Turbo and there they have shown cars can be re-engined. They scrap the old engine and fit in a new engine with gearbox et al. Is this done in India ? Also w.r.t buying a new car how much does this cost. For instance say can a Honda non Vtec be made a VTec using the existing shell, gearbox ? Views , thoughts ? If yes then , do companies who make cars sell their engines outside ?
Some manufacturers, like Maruti, offer what they call "half-engines" - basically a new block, crankshaft, pistons, & con-rods. They propose it as an alternative to the usual "lathe-work" that is done to overhaul a high-mileage engine. In Maruti's case, to order one you have to send in your existing engine number (which is stamped on to the new block).

I read somewhere that any modification to a car that makes it different from what was originally homologated is illegal. So, technically speaking, swapping in parts from a higher-spec'd model to a lower one (VTEC parts into a non-VTEC engine) should be OK since both versions have been homologated here.

Last edited by im_srini : 30th September 2010 at 12:30.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I agree about the value but why is it illegal ? If I replace the engine with similar cubic capacity without modifying anything else (hypothetically) then why should RTA/RTO object ?

Engine number change is not done at RTOs now.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Another classic example is replacing old 3 cylinder Alto's (LXi) engine with WagonR's 4 cylinder engine.
Is this engine still available and is there any particular workshop specializing in this job here in Chennai? I may be interested a few years down the line.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2010, 15:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Engine swap is a common thing now. There are so many Zens running esteem, baleno and vtec engines.

OHC's with H22, B16 (some even turbocharged, with insane power output).

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks