Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I agree about the value but why is it illegal ? If I replace the engine with similar cubic capacity without modifying anything else (hypothetically) then why should RTA/RTO object ?
In India the right way to identify a vehicle (Govt approved method) is the combination of Engine number + Chassis number until it gets to RTO. One the vehicle is registered with RTO, the same vehicle is identified by Engine number + Chassis number + Registration number + color. Having this as base, lets look out the other options as what can be changed w.r.t this discussion
1. Changing engine and/or chassis number is considered as changing the foundation of identification.
2. Also changing the engine (even the old method of swapping Amby's with Isuzu engine) is against the law because according to the RC book the engine details are like XX cc with YY HP while the swapped engine might be more or less than what is specified on the RC book.
3. Now doing step #2 is also violating the norms with insurance. Reason being that, the insurance company charges the premium for the said spec according to RC & when it changes they don't have method (atleast now) to recalculate based on the new spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is this engine still available and is there any particular workshop specializing in this job here in Chennai? I may be interested a few years down the line.
C'mon sir, in a few years down the lane, you may want to consider Innova/Outlander/Endeavour/Fortuner. Donate the Alto liberally to your Son
Old 1st October 2010, 10:19   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Can we discuss the cost, feasibility, compatibility, dealers, availability factor of those engine in this thread.
Having been through a positive as well as a negative engine swap experience, here's my two cents:

- If possible, try to make do with your existing engine itself. If your engine is busted, rebuild it. If you want more power, tune it. In case of a rebuild, use only OEM parts and the best mechanic you can find (authorised preferred). In case of tuning, go step by step (start with bolt-on mods). There's several advantages in sticking with the original engine (no need to look out for compatible gearboxes, bell housing, engine mounts, cooling solutions etc.).

- If you are getting a swap, NEVER do so with an untested used engine. It's very very difficult to find a good used engine, especially a diesel. If you are a perfectionist, get a brand new engine + a factory-like fitment (from an expert or authorised service station). My Jeep has gone off-roading about 50 times in the last 2 years on the new engine. Not a single breakdown. In the event that you end up with a used engine, refurb it completely before install.

- Remember, with engine mods or swaps, cheap generally equates to an unreliable end product. Don't cut corners on the engine, parts or quality of labour.

- If your vehicle is over 7 - 8 years old, its book value will be really low. It could be financially more feasible to lateral upgrade. Example, say you have a 7 year old OHC. Instead of spending a lakh on modifying it, sell her off for 3.0 lakhs, put in another 1.5 and get yourself a Skoda RS.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2010 at 10:20.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:38   #18

Re: Changing engines of cars in India

Hi, Saw this post on browsing. been 10 years since you guys started this post, what do you think about the engine swap science in India at the moment? Because i'm running a 2.0 litre OM 616 version made by Gurkha and its not good. Not saying it lacks power but saying force as a company cannot be trusted to make decent engines

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th November 2020 at 12:52. Reason: Typos and grammar.
Yogi Arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 18:56   #19
BHPian

Re: Changing engines of cars in India

I have a similar question.

Trying to find (wish me luck!) dad's old Ambassador and restore. It is a 1982 model and it had the stock diesel engine when we sold the car almost 20 years back.

(If we can find the car) - Is changing the engine an option? Budget is not a constraint at the moment.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks