Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 19:04   #1
BHPian

PICS : Car scrubbed by vandals. Will polishing help?

Today afternoon, while having a casual look at the car after parking, to my horror, I found some massive and deliberate scrubbing done on the bonnet and front sides. The shine of the car has totally gone and it's looking very ugly. I have attached the pics below.

Some maniac had his day of fun(!) at my expense, it seems. But this being my first car, that too bought only recently without borrowing a single penny from my parents or anybody else, I am emotionally quite attached to her, and am feeling like somebody has scrubbed my heart. Havent been able to get it out of my head since then. So thought of putting a query to you guys - what you would have done in such a case? will car polishing work? or will I have to go for a paint job?

The car is a 2008 model, and the paint was quite fresh on this 2year old beauty, when I got her couple of months back. Suddenly because of this defacing it's looking ugly, to say the least.

Also, does teflon (or any other) coating help prevent such deliberate scrubbing incidents?

I tried searching briefly, but didnt come across a deliberate scrubbing thread here. Hence this new one.

Looking forward to your help. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Car scrubbed by vandals. Will polishing help?-left.jpg  

PICS : Car scrubbed by vandals. Will polishing help?-right.jpg  

Old 10th October 2010, 19:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats really sad to see, some maniac doing such an intended scrubbing.

You may try scratch remover and polishing which may help tone down the glare of this to some level, however there seems to be no other alternative than get it repainted.

It seems its impact is on front bonnet and right side fender, so try claiming insurance on it as well.
Old 10th October 2010, 19:38   #3
BHPian

I would suggest you getting it repainted. Please check with the local garage for the cost of repaint.

IMO, getting a buffing or the so called teflon coating wouldnt help the cause.
Old 10th October 2010, 19:44   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have been a victim of scrubbing multiple times on all my cars. It is very painful to see some (stupid person) damage your car for fun. Now i just try to keep a watch on my car wherever i am and i keep pressing the lock button on remote periodically to flash the blinkers, hoping it will scare the (stupid person).
Old 10th October 2010, 19:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to right section.

You have only one choice and that is painting the bonnet and the fender. I wouldn't suggest for insurance claim as you'll lose your NCB for a small job like this.

Try to park your car in place from where you can actually keep an eye. This looks like a sadist's job.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:15   #6
BHPian

I guess its repairable. Had similar scratches on my car too (black lancer) difference being that my watchman used a cloth which had a lot of rough mud like particles. I got the car polished from a painter who used a 1000 grit paper to sand the entire body and later used rubbing compound followed by wax polish. I was charged something around 800 bux for the job. Try getting this done once before considering a paintjob, would save you some cash.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Holy smokes,that's bad.really bad.I know how much it pains to see some jerk scratch up your car for fun.The best bet would be to repaint it since you cannot get back the original finish by polishing or coating.Also i can see the white underside,which means that you have lost the paint in those places along with the clear coat.

To reduce the damage,use Formula 1 scratch out.Its a mild rubbing compound available at super markets and auto accessories shop.Apply it as mentioned for 3-4 times allowing 2 hours gap in between for it to cure.Make sure you wash and dry the surface before you do this.

This method will only help you reduce the visual damage to some extent .And moreover since your car is black the scratches stand out even more.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:43   #8
BHPian

!!!

Dont think twice about anything. Just get the bonnet and the fender painted.

Dont waste time and money in rubbing and waxing. These hardly helps. You never get the finish like repaint & waxed. These are only consolation jobs, nothing more.

By the way, where do you park your car ?
Old 10th October 2010, 20:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
..Try getting this done once before considering a paintjob, would save you some cash.
Don't think this process is going to help. white surface can be seen here and there. In your case it was fine scratches from sand and dust. This is a case of vandalism.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:05   #10
BHPian

To my knowledge the waxing, polishing or coating will not give you permanent solution, this looks like a work of pure Car Vandalism. Get you bonnet repainted, claim on insurance.

Invest in a car cover
Old 10th October 2010, 21:16   #11
BHPian

Just try this before repainting. Buy rubbing compound ( Rs 40/-only). After cleaning the bonnet, apply it with a soft cloth and then rub in round about motions. If the scratches fade away, polish the surface with wax polish. If the scratches remain, well, you have to repaint, but trying is worthwhile since the cost for the same is nominal.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

Its a Black Palio 1.6.
This is when you get it painted in some super cool racing design.
After all this is a car that can really carry them off.

As for the low life who did this to the car, may he/she rot in the darkest and hottest corner of hell.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:19   #13
BANNED

no other way, dont try to wax or teflon coat or touch up job, just paint an coat, its only solution. sorry me too an victim of those act, but with slight damage.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
I have been a victim of scrubbing multiple times on all my cars. It is very painful to see some (stupid person) damage your car for fun. Now i just try to keep a watch on my car wherever i am and i keep pressing the lock button on remote periodically to flash the blinkers, hoping it will scare the (stupid person).
i think I will probably need a security kit which will start blowing a siren when somebody touches my car. Wonder whether Autocop/similar has something that will cater to this requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Try to park your car in place from where you can actually keep an eye. This looks like a sadist's job.
I stay on the first floor, and I park my car such that I can see it from my wide window. This was probably done during night, and I only came to know in the afternoon after parking the car in an open space in daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Dont think twice about anything. Just get the bonnet and the fender painted.

Dont waste time and money in rubbing and waxing. These hardly helps. You never get the finish like repaint & waxed. These are only consolation jobs, nothing more.
I did try calling some autocare/car-care shops (listed in sulekha and google) frantically after I saw this scrubbing, but probably because of sunday, all of them were unreachable.

About repainting, few queries -
1. Any rough idea, how much will it cost me to repaint the bonnet and both the fenders? the scrubbing is on both the fenders.
2. any recommendations for shops/garages in Pune? or only Pandit/BUB will have a matching colour??
3. after repainting, is there any chance that the bonnet and fenders will stand-out from rest of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This is a case of vandalism.
precisely. i was thinking of launching a police complaint. but since i am not sure who could have possibly done this, i am hesitating in order to avoid any additional headache from police.
Old 10th October 2010, 22:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Could this be caused by some animal tyring to climb on car from front side on bonnet or by sides. Humans trying to scratch would typically scratch in circles or long lines from some point till end of surface; don't think anyone would create small lines very close to each other unless someone is really sadist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
1. Any rough idea, how much will it cost me to repaint the bonnet and both the fenders? the scrubbing is on both the fenders.
2. any recommendations for shops/garages in Pune? or only Pandit/BUB will have a matching colour??
3. after repainting, is there any chance that the bonnet and fenders will stand-out from rest of the car?
1. No idea about cost, but cost at TASS would be different(more) than outside.
2. Check with Tune-up plus on baner road, search for thread 'accessories shops in pune' to know about them.
3. No, painted parts will not stand out if colour code has been matched.

Quote:
i was thinking of launching a police complaint.
Don't bother them, they would be least interested in even registering a case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks