Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Loud engine buzz in NHC beyond 2.5k RPM

Guys,

I hear a very loud engine buzz in my 2004 NHC idsi beyond 2.5k RPM. The other symptoms are as follows-
  • Louder engine hum even at idle
  • Higher than normal tyre noise
  • Noise becomes unbearable beyond 3k RPM
  • Jerking at lower gears and speeds

I have got my car repainted (engine bay untouched) about a year ago. The car was fine until about a month or so ago. Do you see this as any reason for the above? I am going to visit the Garage, but just wanted to do some initial diagnosis before the Honda service guys start attempting to rip me off.

help
Old 14th October 2010, 11:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked the silencer box, is it leaking also the pipes, right from manifold to the tail end?
Old 14th October 2010, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Hello friends,

I have a NHC 2006 and i also noticed around a month ago while driving to delhi that engine becomes really loud all of a sudden around 2.5k - 3k RPM. It was fine when i last went on a highway in August. In town i shift under 2.5k so never feel anything wrong there. Just to test i reached those speeds in town and the same issue was there.

I am not feeling any of the other listed abnormalities like loud idle noise or Jerking.
Its almost like all of a sudden around 2.5k the clutch disengages and the engine goes into neutral.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you checked the silencer box, is it leaking also the pipes, right from manifold to the tail end?
Thanks Jaggu! will do as advised. anything else that you notice as a problem? Could be worn out door beadings etc? I didn't feel it that loud at idle when I opened the bonet. it felt fairly normal.

Anyway, will get it checked and let you know
Old 14th October 2010, 17:29   #5
BHPian

my comments in bold below. BTW you have not mentioned the mileage on your car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by battada View Post
Guys,

I hear a very loud engine buzz in my 2004 NHC idsi beyond 2.5k RPM. The other symptoms are as follows-
  • Louder engine hum even at idle --->the idler bearing might be kaput...get it checked...new one costs around 1400 INR.
  • Higher than normal tyre noise
  • Noise becomes unbearable beyond 3k RPM --->Could also be coming from either of the wheel bearings. They are expensive if bought from Honda dealer.
  • Jerking at lower gears and speeds
I have got my car repainted (engine bay untouched) about a year ago. The car was fine until about a month or so ago. Do you see this as any reason for the above? I am going to visit the Garage, but just wanted to do some initial diagnosis before the Honda service guys start attempting to rip me off.

help
Old 14th October 2010, 19:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Tyre noise can be either due to old (rubber becomes hard) or worn out tyres or the above ^^
Old 15th October 2010, 14:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
my comments in bold below. BTW you have not mentioned the mileage on your car..
Thanks for your inputs! Mileage is around 55k. The idler was replaced during the 50k service. My feeling is that the engine noise somehow is seeping significantly into the cabin. Yeah, bearings could be loud at speeds if they are faulty, but when I tried to rev it up during idle with windows rolled up, I found it very annoying. Could it be the faulty door beadings or something like that? I am beginnin to beleive that the noise has become higher after I got the car repainted.

@Jaggu
Yes. Two tyres are due for a change. Went Kaput under 15k KMs (Thanks to a service center name Auto 1 in Bangalore and is now out of business for me even to think of a claim)

Last edited by battada : 15th October 2010 at 14:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks