Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 17:00   #1

Engine shudders after water wash

Hi Folks,
Our Hyundai Verna Petrol (2007) had a water wash 2 days back, hope the service center people didn't use water to clean the engine bay. After the water wash my engine started to shudder at lower rpm's, I could able to feel the vibration from the driver's seat, with a big thud-thud noise coming from engine and the noise and vibration subsidize's at higher rpm's. The problem is more while in 1st gear or trying to revers. I could also smell petrol from my exhaust and the exhaust is also not continuous. I am planning to visit A.S.S tomorrow, before which I would like to hear from you folks, as I am pretty sure the water wash was the culprit, before which the vehcle was running in top condition.
Old 17th October 2010, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

A cold engine would tend to shudder a vee bit, but if it shuddering even after let's say 2 minutes of idle, then certainly water has entered either the air intake or a fuel line, spark plug lead. A loose plug lead would also cause it to miss...hence the smell of petrol from the tailpipe.

Does the temp needle indicate operating temp as normal (near half mark) ?? It may be wise to take it to the workshop if the shuddering continues after a couple of minutes.

Cheers
Old 17th October 2010, 17:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

What you outline sounds like water has got into one of the spark plug holes.

Remove the lead / wire.

Spray compressed air into each of the 4 holes one by one so as to push out / evaporate any wetness. 30+ sec each hole.

Spray the inside (connector) of the spark plug leads as well - ie the part that makes contact with the spark plug itself.

This can be done at any petrol pump that has a proper compressed air spray / nozzle.

I think this should fix it.
cya
R

EDIT: See similar thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...iring-ohc.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th October 2010 at 17:49.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2010, 19:16   #4
BHPian

Had similar thing happened to my santro after excessive wash, and was solved by the method Rehaan suggested.

however once that shudder effect was solved only after replacing the wire for plug No:4
Old 18th October 2010, 00:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Open and dry the air filter.
Old 18th October 2010, 00:12   #6
BANNED

Water wash to the engine bay is dangerous.

What you should do is:

1) Get the sparkplugs and plug leads cleaned of water content- Blow dry air

2) Open all your spark plugs, crank the engine for over 10 seconds.

3) Clean your Air filter.

But, Get all this done at the A.S.C if the car is under extended warranty.
Old 18th October 2010, 11:58   #7
BHPian

mhawk, I had a similar problem with my car after a wash, similar symptoms. There is a small rubber pipe that feeds the air fuel mixture to the engine (which was cracked, in my case). It was a 10sec job, literally & cost Rs.5 which my mechanic did not charge :o)
Old 21st October 2010, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Mhawk, any luck with solving the issue?
Old 21st October 2010, 20:29   #9

It worked like a champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Mhawk, any luck with solving the issue?
Rehaan's tip worked like a champ, explained the issue to my dad and he was able to fix it with a local mechanic's help. Thank you all folks for your valuable inputs, regret for the delay in replying.
Old 26th October 2010, 03:41   #10
BHPian

My thanks to Rehaan too, he made me remember my last problem and action, I was able to solve the shudders of low RPM, by removing, cleaning and re-placing the plug wire.

I think i drove with this problem for a week, and now my car is running very very smooth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks