Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 17:47   #16

Re: Optra Magnum AC switching off during hard driving

I have a Jan, 2008 Optra Magnum LS, suddenly one fine morning the AC started not to be very effective and within couple of hours all cooling was gone. The compressor clutch was clicking and radiator fans were coming on. I suspected it was a gas leak, assumed the repairs will not cost more that the couple of thousands and was not feeling very bad.
Yesterday, took it to the local mechanic, on inspection he says the gas pressure is adequate and when the AC is switched on the pressure should drop on LP side, however the pressure is not reducing. He concluded that the compressor is not doing any pumping and must be replaced. This is terrifying, the compressor will cost a bomb.
I have decided to take it to the ASC. Will have to take it to one of the ASC's in South Mumbai being close to my office.
Any guidance what could be bad/must be checked. Your advice might help me not being taken for a ride by the ASC, also kindly suggest which ASC might be better.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:19   #17
BHPian

^^ I suggest you visit the ASC and also get additional opinions. The closest ASC to you should be National Garage. For additional opinion I know that Four Seasons at Tardeo would do this as well. Even though Ive never got anything done from them, but others have recommended them.

I also have the contact of another person given to me from deutscheafrikar. That AC mechanic is at Santacruz. If you want I can mail it to you.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Metal,

Take a second opinion at another ASC if possible. Both the Optra and Aveo suffer from AC-related issues and some service advisers are keen to suggest complete replacement of parts rather than trying to address the known issues with the cut-off valve etc.

I have faced this with my Aveo but got it fixed for far less than what the SA initially stated.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
^^
I also have the contact of another person given to me from deutscheafrikar. That AC mechanic is at Santacruz. If you want I can mail it to you.
Thanks for the advice, can you please the contact details
Old 31st May 2011, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Thanks for the advice, can you please the contact details
You can't sent/receive PMs until you make 25 posts. I shall however post the details here.

Quote:
Contact person: Bosco Gomes
Gomes Auto Airconditioner (or something like that)
Right opposite the Khira Nagar (colony) Gate on Sv Road near the milan talkies (now a mall) lane.
His main mechanic name is Ashley. 02226129464
Old 9th June 2011, 22:45   #21

I took the car to National Garage, on turning on the AC, the mechanic suggested "there is some noise from the compressor, possibly the compressor has lived its life. The repairs and replacement shall cost 50K." When I said, such an expense is out of question, the mechanic says they'll have to check may be its just the control valve. The service adviser told me the optra magnum compressor costs 60K . Wonder how the mechanic could have replaced the thing in 50K.

Finally the valve was replaced along with some other small items. The cost of spares was was 5K, labor extra. Add to that an AC service, total cost came to 10K. much better than the 50K.

My car pulled to the left side, I had asked them to do a wheel alignment, now the steering feels lighter but the car still pulls to left . If they have done the alignment right, what could be wrong?
Old 30th June 2011, 12:19   #22
BHPian

@ Metal, often times the wheel alignment done at the A$$ does nt seem to work. Suggest you get it done outside with some reputed guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks