Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 15:57   #16
BHPian

Not a big issue to worry about mate. Its pretty common with many cars i have driven todate. Especially with the Ford cars i own or have driven extensively. My current one is a Fiesta 1.6.
The solution is to use the clutch as specified in the post above. Another would be to engage the 1st gear and then the reverse incase of a dead start. It works all the time.
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:45   #17
BHPian

Re: My New SX4: gears issues!

Dear All,

Was surprised to know that there was already a thread with gear issues for the SX4 , but for me the issue is a bit different.

Just noticed that since yesterday am unable to engage the First gear when the car is in motion , all the rest of the gears are all good and work perfectly fine .

The funny thing is that I need to get the car to a standstill when I need to engage the FIRST gear and only then the gear engages , but when the whells are turning the gear does not engage ...

Has anyone faced such an issue like this ? do I foresee a major issue with the gearbox ?

Please do share your feedback .

BTW mine is a SX4 Diesel if that means anything
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess thats a synchroniser issue. Though I can slot into first in my SX4 and also the diesel SX4 I test dtove, my wagonr simply refuses to slot into first unless forced into.

However the gearbox problem seems to be quite common. My cousin brought a ZXi four months back and though the current version is of an overall quality better than the older one, he has problems with shifting to reverse. During first service they lubricated the cable and shifter. Still the problem persists. Hence we will get it sorted during the next service.

Touchwood but my sx4 has a perfect slotting action without any resistance or refusal to slot. Just lately some gears are hard to engage which I think is a result of clutch fluid not being bled even once in its five years with me. Am going to get that done shortly and update the change. I just hope my dad hasn't fried the clutch in 26k kms of use.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dear All,

Was surprised to know that there was already a thread with gear issues for the SX4 , but for me the issue is a bit different.

Just noticed that since yesterday am unable to engage the First gear when the car is in motion , all the rest of the gears are all good and work perfectly fine .

The funny thing is that I need to get the car to a standstill when I need to engage the FIRST gear and only then the gear engages , but when the whells are turning the gear does not engage ...

Has anyone faced such an issue like this ? do I foresee a major issue with the gearbox ?

Please do share your feedback .

BTW mine is a SX4 Diesel if that means anything
It's a synchronizer issue most probably. May be a worn out synchronizer ring. MASS can fix this without much worries.
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guess thats a synchroniser issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
It's a synchronizer issue most probably. May be a worn out synchronizer ring. MASS can fix this without much worries.
Thanks Team,

A visit to MASS is on my list ... will post updates shortly ..
Old 1st January 2014, 19:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Team,

A visit to MASS is on my list ... will post updates shortly ..
Team,

For the benefit of all am attaching the part replacement cost involved in solving the gear shifting issue in my SX4 DDIS.

Please note : The clutch set was replaced as found coming of age ... also the engine oil was changed as the car was due for its 60K service.

As far as the synchro rings go .. both the 1st and the 2nd gear syncro rings have been replaced.

Gear shifting is now smooth as before ...

Am assuming that this wear out of rings could be due to bumper to bumper driving ... cant figure out what else could have caused this , anyways it was a huge bill to pay as the labour charges of MASS came to about 5K itself
Attached Thumbnails
My New SX4: gears issues!-synchro-ring.jpg  

My New SX4: gears issues!-bill.jpg  

Old 1st January 2014, 19:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Bleeding the clutch solved the issue of hard gears and hard clutch for my 25k km run SX4. Since the distance driven isnt much, I dont there are any synchroniser issues with my car.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Am assuming that this wear out of rings could be due to bumper to bumper driving
Peter ,

There is a known issue with the gear sychro ring for sx4 diesel .

You can refer the following thread for the details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3311672

Iam so unhappy, that this issue is seen on multiple Sx4 diesel vehicles and the silence of company on this.

I believe and hope that your issue is covered under warranty, if not you need to talk to the TSM /Dealer.

Most of the vehicle that showed this problem exhibited this issue at around 40 to 50 kms .

Hope this helps.

Please spread this message to any of your friends who has a sx4 diesel.
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 22:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Peter ,

There is a known issue with the gear sychro ring for sx4 diesel .

You can refer the following thread for the details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3311672

Iam so unhappy, that this issue is seen on multiple Sx4 diesel vehicles and the silence of company on this.

I believe and hope that your issue is covered under warranty, if not you need to talk to the TSM /Dealer.

Most of the vehicle that showed this problem exhibited this issue at around 40 to 50 kms .

Hope this helps.

Please spread this message to any of your friends who has a sx4 diesel.
HI Sandeep , I had to shell out a total of around 10K for this issue as I do not have extended warranty , also sensing this as a manufacturing defect as there are more members who have already faced this as well ... not to mention that the service advisor also mentioned to me that this was the second SX4 that came to MASS where I got the work done with the same problem , I ignored this previously but now your inputs have got me thinking .

Could you please send me a message with the email address of the senior mgmt at MSIL ?

Cheers
Old 1st January 2014, 22:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please send me a message with the email address of the senior mgmt at MSIL ?
Hi Peter , I had the extended warranty so was on the safer side.

Can you check with your TSM (technical service manager) .The details of the TSM will be present with your dealer. The TSM will be the initial point for escalation and from there on you could go to the country Manager and so on .

Please go through the right process to start with , if failure to acknowledge this as a defect , you could escalate this further high in the chain.

If Maruti requires evidence to prove this to be a manufacturing defect, you could point to the number of people who faced exactly the same issues .
Old 10th August 2015, 12:52   #26
BHPian

My Sx4 (Zdi) have crossed 45K mark, I'm facing acute difficulty in slotting 3rd gear from neutral. For example, in moving car.. I bring the gear in neutral position and then try to put in 3rd gear... it requires great amount of force.

Any suggestions?

Amit
Old 11th August 2015, 18:04   #27
BHPian

Inputs from Gurus pls.

Visited MASS.... even they are not sure about the problem... they mentioned they have been Gearbox problem in engaging 3rd gear from 2nd gear but not from neutral.
Old 11th August 2015, 22:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Inputs from Gurus pls.

Visited MASS.... even they are not sure about the problem... they mentioned they have been Gearbox problem in engaging 3rd gear from 2nd gear but not from neutral.
What MASS did you go to? Try another MASS. If they are clueless how can we common folk solve the issue .
Do you have trouble slotting third gear when not moving? Last year 5th gear in my car became hard to engage, it turned out to be a gear linkage issue and the gear linkage bushes were replaced. Worn bushes could be causing your problems especially if gearshifting at standstill feels rubbery and notchy . This would be the most likely cause of your problem according to me.

Clutch adjustment could also be at fault. It could be that the clutch is not engaging/disengaging properly.

Are there any grinding sounds when shifting into third from second or fourth, if so the high speed sychro assembly(3rd and 4th gear) needs to be looked at. This would require opening the gearbox.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 11th August 2015 at 22:28.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
What MASS did you go to? Try another MASS. If they are clueless how can we common folk solve the issue .
Do you have trouble slotting third gear when not moving? Last year 5th gear in my car became hard to engage, it turned out to be a gear linkage issue and the gear linkage bushes were replaced. Worn bushes could be causing your problems especially if gearshifting at standstill feels rubbery and notchy . This would be the most likely cause of your problem according to me.

Clutch adjustment could also be at fault. It could be that the clutch is not engaging/disengaging properly.

Are there any grinding sounds when shifting into third from second or fourth, if so the high speed sychro assembly(3rd and 4th gear) needs to be looked at. This would require opening the gearbox.
Thanks for your reply!!

I also think it's the issue with linkage bushes, but then why only third gear that too from neutral. Currently there is no grinding noise in engaging any gear (except for some times when clutch is less than half pressed)

Any idea how much linkage bushes cost, considering they won't be covered in warranty due to rubber parts
Old 11th August 2015, 23:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Thanks for your reply!!

I also think it's the issue with linkage bushes, but then why only third gear that too from neutral. Currently there is no grinding noise in engaging any gear (except for some times when clutch is less than half pressed)

Any idea how much linkage bushes cost, considering they won't be covered in warranty due to rubber parts
If there is no grinding then the sychros should be fine. When I had the linkage bush issue only 5th gear was affected. Don't worry linkage bushes are quite inexpensive and easy to replace. This should not cost you much and sometimes a little greasing is all thats required.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 11th August 2015 at 23:39.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks