Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 16:44   #1
BHPian

Warning light issue with my Punto 1.4 Emotion EDIT: Now solved

I have observed that while cold starting the EOBD warning light turn on for a second and then disappear after approx 52 sec from start. This doesn't appear after that. It is observed only in next day morning. I have captured the video of the problem and posted this in my ownership review page: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2142836-post42.html
Vedieo shows the idling. If I move the vehicle when the warning lights blinks with a jerk as if some extra horse has pushed the vehicle. Also note that the rpm needle makes an oscillation at that point. Also the low engine light is also blinking in video which I have noticed in the video. Absolutely no problem after that. Already shown the vehicle to Fiat technitian. They did the computer scaning and it didn't shown any problem.They finally told that since the fuel injection ifs computerised it scans before injection and wait for 30-40 sec idling before taking the vehicle.

Since there is a jerk and the needle moves it can be due to a mechanical problem. It can be uncontrolled injection of fuel, or a faulty exhaust system etc ,knocking , ECU ...?

More details : Model 1.4 Fire E. Milage 850 km. typical temperature while starting in morning is 29-32 deg. There is no problem with FE(16-19 km/l).
Old 21st November 2010, 09:58   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
I have observed that while cold starting the EOBD warning light turn on for a second and then disappear after approx 52 sec from start. This doesn't appear after that. It is observed only in next day morning. I have captured the video of the problem and posted this in my ownership review page: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2142836-post42.html
Vedieo shows the idling. If I move the vehicle when the warning lights blinks with a jerk as if some extra horse has pushed the vehicle. Also note that the rpm needle makes an oscillation at that point. Also the low engine light is also blinking in video which I have noticed in the video. Absolutely no problem after that. Already shown the vehicle to Fiat technitian. They did the computer scaning and it didn't shown any problem.They finally told that since the fuel injection ifs computerised it scans before injection and wait for 30-40 sec idling before taking the vehicle.

Since there is a jerk and the needle moves it can be due to a mechanical problem. It can be uncontrolled injection of fuel, or a faulty exhaust system etc ,knocking , ECU ...?

More details : Model 1.4 Fire E. Milage 850 km. typical temperature while starting in morning is 29-32 deg. There is no problem with FE(16-19 km/l).
This doesn't seem to be normal. There is of course an issue. Do push the A.S.S to fix this or send this video to Fiat. However, their 30 sec idling thing is not at all acceptable. That is just sort of a work around. Not suggested for such a low mileage car.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Could be an issue with your oil circulation system or fuel injection system. This is a serious concern and you must get expert help. Take it to another A.S.S center.
I found this on the internet - may help you :

Are you blowing out oil filters? Joe Adams II reported: “I started having an oil pressure problem last month. The oil filter gaskets would blow out after increasing the rpm's a little bit. I tried many different oil
filters and called many repair shops including the dealership. They all told me that the oil pump was bad. [I got a new pump for $80 and when installing it, noticed that] the spring had broken into about 15 pieces causing my oil pressure to build. I replaced the valve, spring, and new cap into my old pump. The plunger, spring, bolt and gasket are $26 from the dealer (not available from a regular parts shop).” (allpar.com)
Old 21st November 2010, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
This doesn't seem to be normal. There is of course an issue. Do push the A.S.S to fix this or send this video to Fiat. However, their 30 sec idling thing is not at all acceptable. That is just sort of a work around. Not suggested for such a low mileage car.
Thanks! I have already dend the link to video via feedback form at Fiat's website. I should get a call by monday. My office is just 1 km from my home and I will be turning off the engine before the needle reaches the normal temperature range. Then after 4-5 hours when I start this problem is not arising. I assume that after 4 hours the engine will be still cold since i have travelled only one km.

[quote=blackasta;2147768]Could be an issue with your oil circulation system or fuel injection system. This is a serious concern and you must get expert help. Take it to another A.S.S center.
I found this on the internet - may help you :
quote]
Thanks blackasta. I always feel that most of the servicing person's doesn't have neither the trouble shooting skills nor the attitude. They all want to avoid the problem. In goa there is only one service senter for Fiat. Any way vehicle is under 4 years warranty. My vehicle is March 2010 make and I baought it in October. Will lying idle at showroom cause any damage to fuel injection or engine?
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will lying idle at showroom cause any damage to fuel injection or engine?
Should not be the case.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:15   #6
BHPian

While going through various punto forum I came to know that body software update will solve the problem of fault warning lights and engine coolant temperature messages. Any idea how much time it take for the software updation.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
While going through various punto forum I came to know that body software update will solve the problem of fault warning lights and engine coolant temperature messages. Any idea how much time it take for the software updation.
Software update will not take much time to be done. Just take it to A.S.S and ask them to check whether the ECU firmware is of the latest one. If not, ask them to get it updated. As you said, a false positive may also be the case for this. I do believe, some sensors are giving some false readings which causes this issue. Nothing to worry as such, you need to assertively tell the A.S.S that this is not normal and you want it fixed. Or else, if they still say its normal then ask them to demonstrate the same scenario on a different punto. I bet they can't.
Old 4th February 2011, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Re: Warning light issue with my Punto 1.4 Emotion

The Issue got resolved by software updation done at TASS. Thanks for all suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks