Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 10:04   #1
BHPian

Punto loses some weight, It's now lighter.

Hi all

My friend is looking towards buying a Fiat Punto and is doing his bit of research.

He says there is a weight reduction of 60 kgs in the new Punto when compared to that of the old one.

Does anyone know how was this weight reduction achieved and what are the repercussions?

Rgds

Rajesh

Last edited by captrajesh : 21st November 2010 at 10:06.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

60 kilos is stuff of serious dieting and I highly doubt it. Fiat India wouldn't re-engineer the GP and if it's true (which, again, I highly doubt), the same would only have been achieved by using lighter / thinner metal.

Would be a good thing though : The lighter a car weighs, the better its performance & fuel efficiency.

P.S. : The Fiat India website shows the same kerb weight as earlier.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:53   #3
BHPian

I am not sure how was this weight reduction achieved and what are the repercussions. The fiat india website now has 1130kg as kerb weight for Punto 1.3 multijet. For Linea it's 1210. I am not sure about Punto but I beleive Linea earlier used to be at 1290. I beleive the information about weight reduction is true.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Punto 1.3 MJD was earlier listed as 1190 kgs! And the 1.2 was listed as 1140 Kgs, now its 1090. This can be verified by checking specs on other websites like gaadiDOTcom, etc which have the older Specs of the Punto.

Fiat India website has shaved off 50-60 kgs from their cars. Don't know if this is for real or just a marketing gimmick by Fiat.

If this is for real, then I guess Fiat is very quick in learning and implementing stuff in their cars now a days. This should make the cars a bit quicker too.

Last edited by praful : 22nd November 2010 at 15:13.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The cars are the same as before and there is absolutely no weight reduction.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

If the reduction is actual... 60 kg means is some serious weight loss!... almost 5%..

Peformance gains should be evident..
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The cars are the same as before and there is absolutely no weight reduction.
That means Fiat measured them wrong earlier?

Or now is Fiat upto something else by changing the specs?
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Websites are known to have incorrect information.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:51   #9
BHPian

I am sure that when i bought 1.4 GP July 2009 the weight was 1145 KG. Now the same car is specked as 1115 KG. How come there is a weight reduction of 30 KG?. I checked autocar magazine also it says the weight is 1145 KG. Even i remember the july 2009 brochure.. the weight of 1.3 D was 1190 Kgs not it has become 1130 Kgs. I have checked GTO's official review(dated 20 june 2009) also he tells that it is 1190 KG. Does FIAT reduced the weight??
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Websites are known to have incorrect information.
Not only in website, but in their detailed PDF also the weight was given as 1190Kg for the MJD FGT.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the definition of "kerb weight"? Does that include the spare wheel, toolkit and (though not applicable in this case) factory-installed optional equipment ?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd November 2010 at 21:49.
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
60 kilos is stuff of serious dieting and I highly doubt it. Fiat India wouldn't re-engineer the GP and if it's true (which, again, I highly doubt), the same would only have been achieved by using lighter / thinner metal.

Would be a good thing though : The lighter a car weighs, the better its performance & fuel efficiency.

Lighter the metal, more prone to pass the impact to cabin, don't you think a thinner metal would get torn on lesser force in case of a mishap ?

plus if this is due to fuel efficiency, doesn't that sound like they failed somewhere in research earlier and now have learned from their mistakes.

Lastly is it only because of cost cutting, I've heard about delicate dashboard earlier in Punto, now comes the Delicate Body
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:

But the below posts and some posts ( A & B ) in another thread confirm that weight reduction is indeed true. What is the actual position? Can someone tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
The Punto 1.3 MJD was earlier listed as 1190 kgs! And the 1.2 was listed as 1140 Kgs, now its 1090. This can be verified by checking specs on other websites like gaadiDOTcom, etc which have the older Specs of the Punto.

Fiat India website has shaved off 50-60 kgs from their cars. Don't know if this is for real or just a marketing gimmick by Fiat.

If this is for real, then I guess Fiat is very quick in learning and implementing stuff in their cars now a days. This should make the cars a bit quicker too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
I am sure that when i bought 1.4 GP July 2009 the weight was 1145 KG. Now the same car is specked as 1115 KG. How come there is a weight reduction of 30 KG?. I checked autocar magazine also it says the weight is 1145 KG. Even i remember the july 2009 brochure.. the weight of 1.3 D was 1190 Kgs not it has become 1130 Kgs. I have checked GTO's official review(dated 20 june 2009) also he tells that it is 1190 KG. Does FIAT reduced the weight??
Old 24th November 2010, 09:29   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This news is indeed true! Thanks guys for sharing kerb weight stats from 2009. Think of it this way : With time, the localisation level in cars always increases. As part of the process, perhaps Fiat has also started using thinner / light weight metal.

It's most definitely good news. Lesser the weight, the better the cars performance & fuel efficiency. Would be fun to do a 0 - 100 runs now. One of the main reasons behind the lethargic performance of all Fiats has been their excessive fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the definition of "kerb weight"? Does that include the spare wheel, toolkit and (though not applicable in this case) factory-installed optional equipment ?
Kerb weight includes the car as-is delivered from factory (including spare wheel etc.) and all fluids topped up (including fuel). Dry kerb weight is the rating without fluids.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This news is indeed true! Thanks guys for sharing kerb weight stats from 2009. Think of it this way : With time, the localisation level in cars always increases. As part of the process, perhaps Fiat has also started using thinner / light weight metal.

It's most definitely good news. Lesser the weight, the better the cars performance & fuel efficiency. Would be fun to do a 0 - 100 runs now. One of the main reasons behind the lethargic performance of all Fiats has been their excessive fat.

Kerb weight includes the car as-is delivered from factory (including spare wheel etc.) and all fluids topped up (including fuel). Dry kerb weight is the rating without fluids.
@GTO: Can we be sure that Fiat has reduced just the sheet metal thickness? It could also be possible that some of the weight loss has happened due to other parts within the engine and transmission as well?

Can someone try mailing Fiat to get this info accurately!
Old 24th November 2010, 10:53   #15
BHPian

My friend is one persistent bloke and wants to get to the bottom of this issue.

He says that he heard that the weight reduction is on account of usage of what he calls 'high strength steel'. Is this true?

P.S. I asked him to become a member of Team BHP but he says, getting membership is very cumbersome. I disagreed and egged on him to become a member.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks