Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 09:37   #1
BHPian

Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

My Ikon is now close to 6 yrs old and i think the front shock absorbers need to be changed and the silencer too is making noise and something may need to be done here too. Mody Ford folks are quoting 15k for silencer replacement and 2500/- per front shock absorber.

I think this is daylight robbery given that the spare price cost mentioned in other threads are much lower. Can anyone please suggest the best way forward -- is there a way to get ford folks to come down on the price, or is there a trusted local shop that you can point me to get stuff like this done (i stay near Madhapur in HYD).

Will really appreciate a quick response as i am planning to have the service done on this Friday.

**Mods if this is not the right section for this thread, please move this appropriately
Old 24th November 2010, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Xbox,
You don't you take a second opinion from the Fortune Ford, Tolichowki service centre. I bought my car from Fortune ford and have been getting the car serviced from their Tolichowki Service centre.
IMO they seem to be fair on the pricing front. Call up and enquire about the prices and then decide.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:29   #3
BHPian

Best way to go and look for a trusted FNG. your car is 6 years old , so why bother with the authorized service center.
The quote for silencer replacement is too high and I remember getting my ikon's silencer replacement done in tune of 6.5 K last year.

Edit : Please check the Team Bhp directory for Hyd and you will get a reference for New Mars garage, have read good reviews about this garage on some threads, the owner seems very knowledgeable (check the 4*4 vehicle section and you can see a thread for his Rubicon replica jeep). Also I believe some of the HYD bhpians are associated with this garage and they can be of help in your case.

Last edited by pankaj_sachdeva : 24th November 2010 at 11:34.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:32   #4
BHPian

Thanks Guys, i will talk to both the Fortune folks and the Mars workshop and pick the one which is reasonable.
Old 24th November 2010, 22:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

I just had a complete front suspension replacement/overhaul of my 6+ year old Ikon. You can check my thread about the exact parts replaced and cost involved.
Old 25th November 2010, 07:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I just had a complete front suspension replacement/overhaul of my 6+ year old Ikon. You can check my thread about the exact parts replaced and cost involved.
Sorry i could not make out from your posts whether you took your vehicle to a Ford service center or regular garage.
Old 25th November 2010, 08:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

The price for parts quoted by your service station are not wrong. Its spot on infact. I got my exhaust and suspension over haul done 6 months ago and it cost me Rs. 2500 per suspension strut and Rs. 15000 was quoted for the exhaust. The strange thing is when I finally got the bill the charges for the exhaust was Rs. 11000.

Don't bother going to a FNG as the parts for this car are on the higher side. An FNG cannot get it any cheaper as they have to source the parts from Ford.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Sorry i could not make out from your posts whether you took your vehicle to a Ford service center or regular garage.
I took it Bhavna Ford the authorized dealer in these parts. The thread is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uestion-2.html
Old 25th November 2010, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

15k for the silencer? He is quoting along with Cat con. That is expensive. IF the cat can is fine i think you can just change the muffler. Normally these are bolted together.

For shocks use Gabriel. They are cheap an does the work well.

If you can post the images of Silencer. ? If the hole is small it can be patched with gas weilding for about Rs.250.

If cat con is gone, you are doomed. If you are not environment friendly and PUC not strict in your city just by pass it, any good wielder can do it.
Old 25th November 2010, 23:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

It comes as a single unit at dealers, the exhaust unit, hence the price. Small holes can be welded but will not last long in a ford, that metal is so thin that welding itself is a big exercise. Try after market bits after the cat con, should come in 6-7k max.

Suspension go with genuine stuff either OE or from manufacturer like gabriel. But 2.5 is not a big price to pay for a shockie.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Don't bother going to a FNG as the parts for this car are on the higher side. An FNG cannot get it any cheaper as they have to source the parts from Ford.
Nope, not entirely correct. FNG's can and do source parts aftermarket parts. In-fact I have a 1.6 from last 7 years and the car went to Ford A.S.S till it was in warranty i.e. 2 years. it is been 5 years the car is going to FNG and they get the parts from trusted sources.

Also to mention there are many parts which are same as the authorized ones in-terms of parts manufacturer and specifications, only difference is that ford logo is not stamped on them. Experienced the same while getting the ignition coil and I do recollect reading sammyboy's or benny's ownership thread and it confirms the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It comes as a single unit at dealers, the exhaust unit, hence the price. Small holes can be welded but will not last long in a ford, that metal is so thin that welding itself is a big exercise. Try after market bits after the cat con, should come in 6-7k max.
Spot on sir, i got the silencer assembly after the cat con from Bosch Car Service and it was 6.4K.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Also to mention there are many parts which are same as the authorized ones in-terms of parts manufacturer and specifications, only difference is that ford logo is not stamped on them. Experienced the same while getting the ignition coil and I do recollect reading sammyboy's or benny's ownership thread and it confirms the same.
That was my ownership thread you were referring to. Sammy's vehicle hasnt had to replace the ignition coil.

As for the silencer assembly, i will need to check with the spare parts shop i go to, about their price. Not sure if it also includes the cost of the catcon.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:07   #13
BHPian

Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Guys another question (this is regarding mileage):- Now a days this vehicle is being used for an avg of 8 kms/day and the drive varies from of 4 to 30Km runs . I have been tracking the fuel efficiency, and in the last few runs the mileage has been ~8kms/litre. The service center people simply cleaned the air filter when i called this out in the last service.

Question -- Whatever be the usage, should it be this low? If not, how to go about debugging this?
Old 6th June 2011, 17:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys another question (this is regarding mileage):- Now a days this vehicle is being used for an avg of 8 kms/day and the drive varies from of 4 to 30Km runs . I have been tracking the fuel efficiency, and in the last few runs the mileage has been ~8kms/litre. The service center people simply cleaned the air filter when i called this out in the last service.

Question -- Whatever be the usage, should it be this low? If not, how to go about debugging this?
you cannot ignore usage.
your 4km to 8km runs will be the ones bringing down the everage, the most.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys another question (this is regarding mileage):- Now a days this vehicle is being used for an avg of 8 kms/day and the drive varies from of 4 to 30Km runs . I have been tracking the fuel efficiency, and in the last few runs the mileage has been ~8kms/litre.
Last whole month , I drove nowhere except home-office-home and when I refilled the tank 3 days back, my mileage also stood at 8kmpl.
It's the lowest I have got in 2.5 years now.
The home-office-home run is around 9kms only.
So that's okay for you also I guess, plus I also warm up the engine for around 1 minutes daily, which might have also helped in lowering FE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks