Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 15:52   #1
BHPian

Electrical Maintenance

Hi,

My car is a 1.5 vtec which now crossed 9 years of life. I have noticing electrical failures recently. Some of things like

- Central locking works only for drivers door, wont lock or unlock other doors . This is like compromising security.
- While operating the windows, the headlights are fading.
- Remote key does not function even after pressing it several times.
- there doesnt seem to be enough power to light the headlamps fully
- the cabin light doesnt come up.
- wires are dangling below the dash
- headunit doesnot work sometimes. but if it does it gets heatedup. some of the FM channels are not playing althought they are tuned

On the whole i feel the electrical system is gone for a toss and needs major attention. But the rest of the car is very good. the engine is butter smooth.

Could you tell me what kind of maintenance I can do?
Iam also planning for a new HeadUnit and quality speakers. Is Infinity (oval) speaker good for my car?
Any custom electrical wiring suggestions here is welcomed

Please advise..
Old 24th November 2010, 17:02   #2
BHPian

It may be absolutely unrelated, but in my 9+ year old Maruti vehicle, I experienced few similar problems. The problem was traced to alternator. Once I got it overhauled, everything was back in place. What's the voltage across battery terminals with the vehicle ON?
Old 24th November 2010, 18:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
It may be absolutely unrelated, but in my 9+ year old Maruti vehicle, I experienced few similar problems. The problem was traced to alternator. Once I got it overhauled, everything was back in place. What's the voltage across battery terminals with the vehicle ON?

I dont know I havent checked it. Will let you know. Thanks anyway for narrowing down to something
Old 24th November 2010, 19:03   #4
BHPian

My answers in bold

- Central locking works only for drivers door, wont lock or unlock other doors . This is like compromising security.

Check for rat chewed wires, as central locking wires go from cabin to door, they are prone to rat menace more. If not rat then its simply loose connection from either door side or central locking device.

- While operating the windows, the headlights are fading.

Your car battery needs to be checked, it may have lost its strength. If battery is ok then spray silicone lubricant in glass channels. Hard channels may be straining power window motor and hence dimming of light.

- Remote key does not function even after pressing it several times.

Loose battery in remote or weak battery. Change the battery, if still no good then get a replacement remote. If replacement remote is not available then jugaad can be made in button membrane to make it work like new.

- there doesnt seem to be enough power to light the headlamps fully

Again car battery needs to be checked.

- the cabin light doesnt come up.

When you open the door? Its bad contact in door switch, get it replaced.
- wires are dangling below the dash

Buy some single core thin aluminium shielded wire, cut them in required length and tie those hanging wires.

- headunit doesnot work sometimes. but if it does it gets heatedup. some of the FM channels are not playing althought they are tuned

Loose fuse or something wrong with the head-unit itself, nothing to do with car wiring. Remove the head unit and send it for servicing at any reliable electronic repair store.
Old 24th November 2010, 20:23   #5
BHPian

Hashim, Your answers make sense. I have had rat problems earlier with speaker wires. I will check them and the battery
Old 24th November 2010, 20:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guess the 2 main reasons are poor battery charge and loose connectivity in the wires.

Headlights fading while operating windows is a classic example of the battery losing charge..

The remote key not working problem could be due to the weak car battery as well as the remote cell itself being drained.. have a look at that too..

The cabin lamp not turning up : check the button near the door which when depressed turns on the cabin lamp.. this button often has loose connection problems.

Your car is 9yrs old, how many times have you changed the battery. I think the battery would solve most of the issues.

About the wires, get them checked for loose connections. Probably they have been tampered with.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:14   #7
BHPian

libran, I had installed a new battery 2 years back. When I check the status the green light is seen. but I used to find some white powder like deposits on the battery recently.

My question is should get new set of wiring done for the car and with new battery. And what better grade of battery should i choose. because Iam already using 90/100 headlamps and will go in for a new Headunit with good speakers.

Thank you !
Old 24th November 2010, 23:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
libran, I had installed a new battery 2 years back. When I check the status the green light is seen. but I used to find some white powder like deposits on the battery recently.

My question is should get new set of wiring done for the car and with new battery. And what better grade of battery should i choose. because Iam already using 90/100 headlamps and will go in for a new Headunit with good speakers.

Thank you !
Oh, probably then there could be something wrong with the wiring. The white deposits is the lead that is coming out. This could mostly happen when the terminals are not properly connected.

I think its best you get the battery checked by a mechanic in a battery shop. If you happen to buy a new battery, buy one of those Zero-Maintenance ones.

About the wiring, I'd suggest you consult Honda A.S.S and only think about changing it. I have quite a feeling that will cost a bomb.
Old 25th November 2010, 01:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Oh, probably then there could be something wrong with the wiring. The white deposits is the lead that is coming out. This could mostly happen when the terminals are not properly connected.

I think its best you get the battery checked by a mechanic in a battery shop. If you happen to buy a new battery, buy one of those Zero-Maintenance ones.

About the wiring, I'd suggest you consult Honda A.S.S and only think about changing it. I have quite a feeling that will cost a bomb.
I second the above opinion but would strongly encourage you to first visit the battery dealer, ask them to take the battery out, wipe the terminals on battery using sandpaper etc, then check terminals ( the +ve and -ve wires) and clean or replace them, once done, check water level and re-fit the existing battery and then you can drive for a day or two, if the issues are resolved, you don't actually need to check anything else with A.S.S.

I am sure above job would be under Rs.50 at battery shop while A.S.S. can charge you anything from Rs.1k to 5K depending upon their goodwill.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:41   #10
BHPian

ghpk and libran, certainly good points here. I tightened the battery terminal clamps which were loose. I know the honda A.s.s will be expensive to go after. Any custom option which can save the rats from getting at the wires?

I see there are many electrical glitches in my car. I am pretty sure this battery is almost dead like. Which battery are good in market. I am also looking for adding additional foglamps of lights because the honda headlights are not sufficent in highways.. I can hardly see the light on the road when iam driving in nights. And I get blinded by cars coming opposite direction..
Old 26th November 2010, 17:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Which battery are good in market.
I am using Amaron and its great, many tbhp members will also suggest you same. I use 130/100 philips rally bulbs, music system with woofer, I have disconnected central locking though due to repeated chewing of door wires by rat
Old 26th November 2010, 22:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tightened the battery terminal clamps which were loose.
That explains the white deposits around the terminals.

Quote:
Any custom option which can save the rats from getting at the wires?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html

Quote:
I am also looking for adding additional foglamps of lights because the honda headlights are not sufficent in highways..
You are already using 90/100 headlamps and still lack adequate lighting?. I think, by solving your battery issues, the lighting issue will also be solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I am using Amaron and its great, many tbhp members will also suggest you same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I use 130/100 philips rally bulbs
Yes, Amaron is great, and Hashim, I think Honda's wont be able to cope up with the heat generated by 130/100 philips rally bulbs. Not sure.
Old 27th November 2010, 19:45   #13
BHPian

Yes the problem of central locking got solved today. The electrician found a broken wire between the driver door and the dash. he said its normal to find such broken wires here.

They checked the battery. its fine and adequate volt is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Yes, Amaron is great, and Hashim, I think Honda's wont be able to cope up with the heat generated by 130/100 philips rally bulbs. Not sure.
Yes you are right 130/100 created the problem. why the Headlights although they are 130/100 dont work is because the reflector in the headlight assembly is slightly burnt and the electrician said not to use 130/100 and 100/90 is sufficient. Now I will have to change headlight assembly.

Can I still get a custom headlight assembly which can bear the 130/100???
Old 27th November 2010, 23:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I still get a custom headlight assembly which can bear the 130/100???

Well, accommodating 130/100 in OHC's might be difficult, but then, I guess a 100/90 in a new HL Assembly would be sufficient to light up the road.

Also, please make sure you have a matching relay,ceramic holder set installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks