Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:24   #1
BHPian

PUC? Why every six months?

Hi all,
I am not sure whether this topic has been discussed before. Searched a bit. I couldn't find it.

Do we actually need to take a PUC test and get a certificate for our vehicles every 6 months? Can't it be once in a year, especially considering the fact that fuel is supplied by Govt?
No doubt, dealers will be mixing kerosene and other spurious stuff?

Shouldn't the Govt do a check on dealers too to make sure that fuel they fill in our tanks is not spurious and?

But I am not in anyway saying vehicles shouldn't undergo PUC test. My point is , if the fuel is pure from the source itself, can't we have the test done every year? (similar to insurance renewal)

MODs,
If this topic already exists or is not worth discussing, please remove it.

Warm regards,
BR
Old 1st December 2010, 11:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's every three months in delhi although the Union government does give it as six months. The primary reason for this is that the normal frequency of car service is six monthly. This is when there will be changes to the tune of the car. Thus, the interval.

Having said that, there is a report by the Mashelkar committee (set up for PUC) which recommends the adoption of the SIAM computerised PUC model and a sliding timescale for the PUC tests based on the vehicles emissions readings:

1. If the registered emissions readings are less than 50% of the corresponding standard for that vehicle, the following PUC test would be after 6 months.
2. If the registered emissions readings are less than 80% of the corresponding standard for that vehicle, the following PUC test would be after 4 months.
3. If the registered emissions readings are less than, but above 80% of, the corresponding standard for that vehicle, the following PUC test would be after 3 months.

I'm uploading a very good pdf document regarding PUC policies of India. Worth a read for greenheads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf articles-35247_recurso_1.pdf (1.08 MB, 16756 views)
Old 1st December 2010, 11:52   #3
BHPian

Hi Tejas,
Thanks for the info,
But my point was that, shouldn't the onus of making sure that vehicles are polluting the air be shared by dealers too? Shouldn't the dealers also have some kind of certification/responsibility to show that they are not pumping spurious stuff into our tanks?

Regards,
BR
Old 1st December 2010, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another question related to this topic: For a new vehicle, what is the rule for starting PUC checks? Is it after the vehicle completes 10000 kms or 1 year?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 1st December 2010, 12:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Hi Tejas,
Thanks for the info,
But my point was that, shouldn't the onus of making sure that vehicles are polluting the air be shared by dealers too? Shouldn't the dealers also have some kind of certification/responsibility to show that they are not pumping spurious stuff into our tanks?

Regards,
BR
Every pump has to give a certain quality of fuel as prescribed by the government of india. You can ask for a test at any reputed pump. Infact HP has a full campaign on it. Avoid filling at spurious stations and try to always fill up at company owned pumps.

It's not only the quality of fuel that leads to pollution. A badly tuned car, clogged filter, removal of catcon, etc also contribute. It's a full package.

The "ideal way" for PUC is to get the emission test done just before a major service and then immediately after. If the readings differ by a great margin, it will give a very slight indication of the essentiality of the said service.

EDIT: @ comfortablynumb: 1 year.
Check this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-new-car.html

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st December 2010 at 12:05. Reason: see edit
Old 1st December 2010, 15:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Hi all,
I am not sure whether this topic has been discussed before. Searched a bit. I couldn't find it.

Do we actually need to take a PUC test and get a certificate for our vehicles every 6 months? Can't it be once in a year, especially considering the fact that fuel is supplied by Govt?
No doubt, dealers will be mixing kerosene and other spurious stuff?

Shouldn't the Govt do a check on dealers too to make sure that fuel they fill in our tanks is not spurious and?

But I am not in anyway saying vehicles shouldn't undergo PUC test. My point is , if the fuel is pure from the source itself, can't we have the test done every year? (similar to insurance renewal)

MODs,
If this topic already exists or is not worth discussing, please remove it.

Warm regards,
BR
PUC is to be done every 3months in NCR (national capital region) and 6 months elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Another question related to this topic: For a new vehicle, what is the rule for starting PUC checks? Is it after the vehicle completes 10000 kms or 1 year?

Cheers,
Vikram
For a new vehicle, PUC checks start after 1 yr of manufacturing.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
PUC is to be done every 3months in NCR (national capital region) and 6 months elsewhere.
Is there some document which can support this claim? Who can decide that the PUC checks for a new vehcile should start after one year? Kindly enlighten.

Last time When I checked with the RTO guys and the traffic people they clearly told that any vehicle should have a PUC done every 6 months irrespective of new or old purchase.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even I thought that the PUC certificate I got along with delivery of my car is valid for 1 year and after that the same to be renewed after every 6 months. But the MH RTO sitting between GA - MH border told me that for new car too PUC is valid for 6 months!!
Old 1st December 2010, 16:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Even I thought that the PUC certificate I got along with delivery of my car is valid for 1 year and after that the same to be renewed after every 6 months. But the MH RTO sitting between GA - MH border told me that for new car too PUC is valid for 6 months!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is there some document which can support this claim? Who can decide that the PUC checks for a new vehcile should start after one year? Kindly enlighten.

Last time When I checked with the RTO guys and the traffic people they clearly told that any vehicle should have a PUC done every 6 months irrespective of new or old purchase.
From what I remember, the dealers of the cars we have purchased said it is valid for 1 yr.

I am trying to search, some forums say the interval is 6months, even for new cars; but I can't find such a rule on any RTO website.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This is a huge misconception that most new car owners generally have/ are fed by the car dealerships

The non-polluting vehicle (green) sticker has no value whatsoever with regards to your pollution being under limits. Though cops don't check new cars for RC etc. but one cannot get away with not having a PUC. The sticker has no sign of government and neither(in my case) had the chassis no. .Unless you explicitly get documents ascertaining that your vehicle emissions are in the limit during delivery, you should get a PUC done just for the heck of it as soon as you get to the pump for your first tankfill.

I have seen many car owners arguing with police regarding PUC in the recent surprise checking going on in the capital.

So, I urge all BHPians to spend an extra 45 Rs. at the petrol station and avoid unnecessary fine of 100Rs.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
So, I urge all BHPians to spend an extra 45 Rs. at the petrol station and avoid unnecessary fine of 100Rs.
Here in Mumbai, the PUC is 80 bucks for 4 wheeler and 40 for bikes. I guess the rates are double because its valid for 6 months.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a huge misconception that most new car owners generally have/ are fed by the car dealerships

The non-polluting vehicle (green) sticker has no value whatsoever with regards to your pollution being under limits. Though cops don't check new cars for RC etc. but one cannot get away with not having a PUC. The sticker has no sign of government and neither(in my case) had the chassis no. .Unless you explicitly get documents ascertaining that your vehicle emissions are in the limit during delivery, you should get a PUC done just for the heck of it as soon as you get to the pump for your first tankfill.

I have seen many car owners arguing with police regarding PUC in the recent surprise checking going on in the capital.

Since I came across this thread, the whole day I have been going through RTO websites of diff. states to search for PUC rules.

There is absolutely no information on if a new car is immune from PUC for 6months/1yr or is not.

So, when cops say it is not valid, there is no such law! Its just that since there is no law to back us either, they being the cops, we have to agree.

I have no problems doing PUC every 3/6/12 months, there has to be uniformity and should be legal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Here in Mumbai, the PUC is 80 bucks for 4 wheeler and 40 for bikes. I guess the rates are double because its valid for 6 months.
In Bangalore, it is 25 for 2-wheelers and 40 for cars.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The non-polluting vehicle (green) sticker has no value whatsoever with regards to your pollution being under limits.
So whats the purpose of that green sticker? I have seen RTO let go a new vehicle (purchase date not crossing 6 months) sporting that sticker!!

There should be some value to that sticker that we don't know about?

Edit:
Found this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-new-car.html

For Delhi:
http://transport.delhigovt.nic.in/Transport/tr2.htm#4

This article clearly says,
Q5. When does a vehicle require a PUC Certificate?
Ans. After the expiry of period of one year from the date of first registration, every motor vehicle is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate & subsequently after every three months.

Last edited by HammerHead : 1st December 2010 at 20:40.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:37   #14
BHPian

Delhi Traffic Police itself is challaning on the basis of not having a printed PUC certificate.

I meant that it can't form the basis for challenging your challan for wrongful prosecution, as it is not a valid document(as it might not have chassis/Engine no.) you can produce as evidence. Sure, if you have RC book at hand, you can prove the age of your vehicle, but before you get that (2-3 months) from the dealer, you can be challaned in the so-called crackdowns Delhi traffic police conducts. I have been stopped for routine checking two times in the 6 month period itself.

Having one at hand simply minimizes the chances of being hassled by the cops. Some new car owners in my Apartment building were troubled due to non availability of a PUC, cops asking original vehicle receipts, not accepting gate pass etc.

Also, in the thread titled PUC for a new car, sgiitk clearly mentions the need for the certificate even before the completion of the one year period.

It might depend from region to region, but, the cops here refuse to accept anything but a printed certificate. So, it is a must if you drive on arterial roads in Delhi.

Last edited by JustCause : 1st December 2010 at 22:40.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:55   #15
BHPian

I'm sure this whole PUC enforcement regime is just another SCAM (at least in Hyderabad).

I've been flagged down multiple times for checking the PUC and every single time the mobile PUC units didn't have a working equipment to check the pollution levels. All they do is take a snapshot of your number plate with a webcam and feed in some fixed set of values which has no correlation to the vehicle under test. A couple of times, they even shown the audacity to connect RPM sensors to the vehicle without any real electrical connection to the measurement unit. Once I even called the RTO directly from the site to report this fraud and was promised action, but I see still the same set of PUC mafia feeding on gullible people. Needless to say I never paid for these fake tests and always got away without paying any fines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks