Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 06:36   #1
BHPian

Help needed : Toyota Corolla 2004 Random Startup problem

I have been facing this issue in my corolla since some time now, but earler it was very sparse, now it has become a major problem and I cant seem to find a solution to it, so please help guys,

The Problem:
The car fails to start when I turn the key - all i hear is a "tick' sound - the lights go off ( the ones next to the speedo ) when I turn the key - and thats it, no starter motor sound no nothing. The issue is that this happens very very randomly - maybe at a red light - maybe in the middle of the traffic if I turn the car off - and its a major irritant at those moments with all the people honking behind you - I just turnoff and turn on till it starts. I have had everything checked at the service center, the car has been checked a few times now, escalated - visited by the senior toyota service guys twice, but the main issue was that it didnot happen then, I have sent the car for the same problem approximately 3 times, but the issue does not happen there and they fail to detect anything wrong with the car - the battery is new , alternator is serviced, engine is serviced, everything is ok, what do I do apart from selling the car ?

The car is fit in every other sense and I find no reason to sell it apart from this.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:36   #2
BHPian

I have had the same issue in my 2003 Corolla and two issues have helped rectify the problem. The rectifier on the alternator was failing which means the charging volts kept dropping from 14v as the car kept idling with AC and Lights. Relatively cheap fix at Rs.1250 including labour. The other problem was the battery itself. The battery was 4 years old and couldn't hold the charge long enough. And since my running was fairly less I ended up with a dead battery.

Also look at electrical leakages especially if you have an aftermarket audio setup. Good luck with the problem.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:55   #3
jav
BHPian

It could be a faulty ignition switch or the wire connections from the ignition switch might be loose.

Last edited by jav : 7th December 2010 at 09:56.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to get your Starter motor & Solenoid switch verified by an experienced Auto electrician. If needed get the started motor/switch repaired or get a new one. This should mostly solve your issue.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:19   #5

A similar thing was happening with my friends accord, turns out one of the battery terminals was lose! can't explain why it would happen that way but worth a check before you take it to the shop... costs nothing.
mile201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 15:48   #6
BHPian

I think I should add this info :
I got the alternator serviced (500rs or so) from the toyota service center - and the problem went away for 6 months or so, when it started occurring again, I had to get the car serviced, they checked everything and said that there was no problem - and again for 1- 2 months no problem, weird, but I think some wore maybe lose ?

@mile201 - I checked the battery and the connections, they seem fine to me. The service center had also checked them.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:08   #7
BHPian

Do you have a security system installed in your car? There could be a malfunction in that causing this issue. I've experienced a similar situation with my Indica, and after numerous visits to TASS where they checked everything and found nothing, the problem was rectified when we removed the security system on the suggestion of my mechanic (I cursed myself for not going to him straightaway). Now the car starts in one crank.
Old 7th December 2010, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Yes I do, its an AUTOCOP XS, can anyone else confirm this before I actually get it removed from the car ? But I doubt that It monitors the Ignition part of the corolla since that is supposed to be binded with the chip in the key ( correct me if I am wrong), but I am ready to go ahead with this if few others can confirm this !
Old 8th December 2010, 19:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help needed : Toyota Corolla 2004 Random Startup problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.amrit View Post
all i hear is a "tick' sound - the lights go off ( the ones next to the speedo ) when I turn the key - and thats it,

The car is fit in every other sense and I find no reason to sell it apart from this.
The problem can be easily sorted out by a competent electrician-and Iam sure Lucknow has many of them(not necessarily at Toyota,though).

Generally Denso electricals never give problems.
  1. Start the car and check the voltage across the battery-it should read 13.9-14.4V.If yes,then your alternator is fine.
  2. Check that the alternator socket is in its slot.
  3. Check the battery terminals-loose terminals can cause the lights to go out when you turn the key,but then the lights won't come back unless the terminal cable shakes again;do they come back on after you turn the key?
  4. Check the condition of the starter cable-replace if if bad.
Old 9th December 2010, 00:56   #10
BHPian

1 - the voltage is 14 V
2 - No idea what to look for (will go to a mechanic)
3 - Lights do come on and the terminal does not seem lose.
4 - Again, will ask the mechanic.

Is it possible to remove the autocop without too much hassle ? so that I can ask the electrician do disconnect the wires - for me to test the car for a few days .
Old 9th December 2010, 09:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Is it possible to remove the autocop without too much hassle ? so that I can ask the electrician do disconnect the wires - for me to test the car for a few days .
Just disconnect the main power wire to the autocop and the unit will get de-energised.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I would suggest you to get your Starter motor & Solenoid switch verified by an experienced Auto electrician. If needed get the started motor/switch repaired or get a new one. This should mostly solve your issue.
+1 issue sure sounds like an erratic starter solenoid. Time for a service, ie if other electrical problems are ruled out.
Old 9th December 2010, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Just disconnect the main power wire to the autocop and the unit will get de-energised.
Does your Autocop system includes the immobilizer option too? As in, can you start the car without unlocking it by the system's remote? Saying this because I'd disconnected the system wires from the battery in my Indica, but had not removed the black box (and it's wiring). Used to face the problem of car not starting randomly. Got the black box removed, and since then have never faced the problem.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:58   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the help guys, I shall update this thread as soon as I can find time to get the above things done.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

@singh.amrit, so whatz the latest update on this issue?
Did your car's issue got resolved ? if yes, what was the problem ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks