Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 18:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cracked Belt Cover

I opened the hood to notice today that the (timing?) belt cover seems to be cracked. Hadnt noticed it till now. Not planning to drive any more except to take it for service. Just curious if this has any impact on the belt life etc
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked Belt Cover-engine.jpg  

Old 10th December 2010, 19:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cracked Belt Cover

if the belt cover is fouling with the timing belt then that is not good news. if not then it can safely be driven to the work shop.

what were your friends doing when they were driving your car to BBSR?
Old 10th December 2010, 19:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

there are some weird noises and clatter at some speeds, and the Check Engine light now almost a regular feature. but the car is very driveable, and I wouldn't have even noticed.
They said they were trailing lorries at night due to the abysmal high beam, and consequently fell into almost every pothole along the way. The internals seem to have taken a good beating :|
Old 11th December 2010, 11:46   #4
BHPian

Having same type problem in my dads indigo dicor

Hi my dads indigo dicor belt suddenly makes a squeaking noise and the engine rpm drops to 400 instead of the regular 800 - 1000 rpm. I dont know which belt makes the noise will have to give car for service soon as possible as it scary to drive like this.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

thats probably the alternator belt. happens all the time, if the squeaking doesnt go away after some time, you might need to have it tightened.
Old 11th December 2010, 14:02   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
there are some weird noises and clatter at some speeds, and the Check Engine light now almost a regular feature. but the car is very driveable, and I wouldn't have even noticed.
Check engine light coming on frequently is not a good sign. Just call the service center and ask them to come and have a look before starting the engine. Hope you know what you mean when you say it is the timing belt cover.

On second thought, is not the timing belt inside the engine? Can such a critical part be put in an easily openable enclosure?
Old 11th December 2010, 14:31   #7
jav
BHPian

That is definitely the timing belt cover and it has "warped" due to heat i guess, the gap in my car is so wide i can see the timing belt clearly, had to stick tape over it to close the gap
Old 11th December 2010, 15:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

they asked me to not drive it much, and gave me a date on the 15th. I found this when i opened the hood to check for any loose connections which might be causing the CEL . its broken, if you notice the top part of it has broken and come loose from the place where it was fixed.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well they are right. You know what, while rebuilding engines, this is one are that takes lot of time to re-calibrate.

Get it changed asap. How much has the car run BTW?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks