Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 08:53   #1
BHPian

Punto console indicating "check glow plugs".

Hello Guys,

Pardon me if this seems like a stupid question. My Punto E+ MJD (17K kms on the odo) is giving an indication saying "check glow plugs". An icon at the right most corner of the console (resembling a horizontal spring) keeps blinking once I give the starter.

Any pointers here will be helpful. Hoping it's not a serious problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th December 2010, 09:57   #2
BHPian

re: Punto console indicating "check glow plugs".

take it to TASC. They can rectify it.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Hello Guys,

Pardon me if this seems like a stupid question. My Punto E+ MJD (17K kms on the odo) is giving an indication saying "check glow plugs". An icon at the right most corner of the console (resembling a horizontal spring) keeps blinking once I give the starter.

Any pointers here will be helpful. Hoping it's not a serious problem.

Thanks in advance.

it is a coil used in diesel cars to start the engine.. I guess it needs a replacement.. Though it is weird as my swift vdi has been driven for almost 65k kms and I never had to bother with it..

Though whenever there is a problem you should always take the car to an ASC. I don't how serious the problem is but it is just a component that I guess warms the engine or a part of the engine.. Not sure..
Old 13th December 2010, 11:05   #4
BHPian

Hi,

This happened in my Punto as well. When I took it to the service station, they fixed it in a jiffy - turned out to be some loose connection somewhere.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Punto console indicating "check glow plugs".

Glowplugs are present to warm the engine before starting the engine.
Especially in mornings when the engine is cold, this problem surfaces.
In general it must switch off after some time when the engine is sufficiently warm. You should wait for that light to switch off before you crank your engine.

Take it to the A.S.S if the glow plug light doesn't switch off after some time. Its not a big problem...They will be able to fix it.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 13th December 2010 at 12:09. Reason: *** was starred....changed it to A.S.S
Old 1st July 2018, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Bumping old thread. Can you live without working glow plugs in places where ambient temperature never really goes low like South Indian cities. My friend's Punto ( 75 HP MJD ) has the "check glow plugs" light on. He is wondering if he can live with it since the minimum temperature where he drives around never goes below 14 degrees. He has no problem cranking the car even with the "check glow plugs" light on.
Old 1st July 2018, 11:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Bumping old thread. Can you live without working glow plugs in places where ambient temperature never really goes low like South Indian cities.
He can drive temporarily till the next service - but I would advice it is better to get the whole set changed, for the sake of convenience - or atleast to get the defective piece changed.

Costs around 1k per piece, IIRC.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 12:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
He can drive temporarily till the next service - but I would advice it is better to get the whole set changed, for the sake of convenience - or atleast to get the defective piece changed.

Costs around 1k per piece, IIRC.
Wondering why to change the glow plugs at all? Since your environment does not need them, just live with faulty ones forever. Unless of-course if there is some technical reason for not doing so.
Old 1st July 2018, 12:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Wondering why to change the glow plugs at all? Since your environment does not need them, just live with faulty ones forever. Unless of-course if there is some technical reason for not doing so.
Even in Bangalore I haven't seen the glow plug warning lamp.remain lit beyond the initial warning sequence. So defenitely not essential for starting the vehicle in our climate conditions.

But I've read that they also play a role with the initial emissions - as the cylinder takes longer to achieve normal operating temperatures without them. So over the long term, they might have effects on the cat con, EGR etc. Not something worth risking for just a 1k part replacement job.

Experts can add more here.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 14:06   #10
BHPian

If the glow plugs in Multijet(Fiat)/Quadrajet(Tata) get jammed then the head needs to be opened. I learnt it the hard way & had to spend 15K for the same.

Better changing all 4 once in 4/6 years or after covering specified kilometres as mentioned in the owners manual.
Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks