Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Clutch usage in Manual transmission - Exercise to leg or wear and tear?
Exercise to leg 8 18.60%
Wear and Tear to leg 29 67.44%
Don't know 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clutch usage in Manual transmission - Exercise to leg or wear and tear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I beg to differ. It's the seating position and driver seat comfort that matters the most.
I agree completely, it is the seating position and its comfort that matter the most. I arrived at my most comfortable position over a period of time by trial and error.

Improper sitting posture does cause knee, back and neck pain. I am telling this after being part of a 6 hour long jam in Lonavala and thanks to my seating position, I did not hurt my legs except for the fatigue! If i were to do the same in an improper posture I would have had to replace my knees may be
Old 20th December 2010, 13:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Adjust the seat so that your foot rests comfortably at the clutch engaged position.

I keep two seat settings: 1. city - which is primarily comfortable for the clutch pedal (but not the accelerator)
2. highway - which is primarily comfy for accelerator pedal, but the clutch pedal becomes a stretch.
Same here.
For my Tucson, I have struggled to find a perfect driving postion.
To avoid severe strain and pain on my left knee, finally I have found one seat position that suits in city traffic (offers least under thigh support) and another one for highway (offers the most under thigh support).
Old 20th December 2010, 14:44   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i sit straight up with my back firmly against the seat back while driving in city.
this gives me max visibility and max under-thigh support in the daily drag of the commute in bangalore. first gear, second gear most of the time in stop start traffic.

on highways I adopt a far more relaxed driving position.

so far no problem but there are days when my left hamstring tendon hurts on account of this start-stop irritation.

maybe the solution is an automatic electric reva for the city commute and the Scorpio for everything else!

lets see!
Old 20th December 2010, 14:55   #19
BANNED

I just discovered a new posture for driving today, by using the steering as a prop to push my self back into the seat and holding the steering at mid/ diameter line rather than 10O'clock position. I am loving it and it seemed to ease the strain on my clutch leg as well.

Cheers
Old 20th December 2010, 18:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Just cause
Ankle Support
Thanks for the info, I have a few more questions

Do you use them on both feet to maintain the level or do you remove them after driving?

Silicone insoles are currently very popular in the custom orthotics department, some are already in your stated link.

While I was at work, I toyed with the idea of buying a walking stick and using it to press the clutch atleast while up-shifting.

I second what Daewood mentions, the accelerator is a place your feet rest on most of the time, so it should be mounted upside down as seen on the Civic and TATA trucks. But the Civic has an electronic throttle and a hydraulic clutch, which behave much differently than the 'cable types' of economy hatchbacks.

I don't know if modern day ATs can remedy the problem as the clutch stress can again resurface due to the ergonomics, or lack thereof, of the ACC and brake pedals.
Old 21st December 2010, 08:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you use them on both feet to maintain the level or do you remove them after driving?
I use it on both feet some times but on left feet always while driving. After about 1/2 hour after driving I remove them. Has helped me a lot to prevent the frequent ankle pains which I used to experience.

Quote:
I don't know if modern day ATs can remedy the problem as the clutch stress can again resurface due to the ergonomics, or lack thereof, of the ACC and brake pedals
I dont think having an AT would solve the issue since you still would be using both the feet to control the brakes and accelerator.
Old 21st December 2010, 10:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think having an AT would solve the issue since you still would be using both the feet to control the brakes and accelerator.

You do NOT use both feet to drive an AT! You use ONLY the right foot! (Yes, even in a LHD vehicle) The left foot is free to do as it pleases except touch the brake or the accelerator.

Last edited by Neilguy : 21st December 2010 at 10:27.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Just bought the ankle supports today and it feels way better now. No more awkward bending of the feet, and most importantly, No knee pain. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:36   #24
BHPian

@ghodlur, kindly specify exactly which one of the ankle supports seen in the link you have sent should be used. thank you
Old 25th December 2010, 21:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I was just thinking of a new post on left knee pain. Excessive clutch usage caused the arch to fall in my left foot(a condition called flat foot) & I have been in unbearable knee pain since the past two days.

I have observed that tall drivers(am 6'1) get very less thigh support in low slung hatchbacks, and our long body makes us push the seat back farther and farther, making the leg almost straight when we depress the clutch. It is useful to note that the knee should go down, and the clutch should be pressed in going down motion, not like straightening knee motion.

The repeated straightening and bending of legs is similar to doing squats. But as the force and the angle is awkward, it leads to pain in ankle->knee->hip etc.

@ ghodlur,

do you use pads on both feet?
Were the pads custom made or were of silicone?
Auto manufactureres pay a lot attention on the driving position. You should put your seat in a position where your knee stays slightly bent when the the clutch is pressed. When you move your left leg to press the clutch it should move from the hip as well and not only from the ankle or the knee. When they teach driving in the west (e.g. England) they tell you not to hinge your foot movement from the ankle to prevent this kind of predicament later. In most cars the biting pint on the clutch is about halfway, you do not have to floor the clutch to change gear. So press the clutch to the point necessary. If the biting point is near the floor, ask your mechanic to adjust it so that it is about midway. Use your ankle to rest your foot on the floor and not to flip the foot to press the paddles.

BTW, as you rightly say, driving in India increasingly needs you to be fit.

Rgds
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:40   #26
BHPian

A friend says that his wife's long term both knees pain has changed dramatically since she started driving. Apparently her left knee does not hurt anymore - and they attribute it to, hold your breath, usage of the clutch. Any thoughts on this one?
Old 13th December 2011, 11:25   #27

I don't know about you guys, there's no exercise in this. There is only pain. And a city of it. I am currently nursing a very very sore left foot because of the clutch movements. I'm heading to the dealer to either get the clutch disc repaired or replaced. Something's wrong.

I found these tips for those wanting to learn to drive better: 25 Tips for Pain Free YogaBack Driving

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks