Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hand slipping over the steering wheel

Its winter time and I have this problem of sweating palms. So when I am driving I am finding it a bit tough to hold on to steering wheel as it gives me a weird feeling when I hold on to the wheel.

Things go from bad to worse when a moron does some unecessary acrobatics rising my BP and hence my sweating rate.

As of now I carry a napkin and try and wipe one hand at a time while slowing down and then get back on road again. But this does not seem to be a good idea, any one with a similar problem has a good solution?

The problem sounds silly but it is taking the fun out of my driving, my steering does not have any cover and I drive a Figo!

help
Old 21st December 2010, 11:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Hand slipping over the steering wheel

How about a nice steering knob spinner?
Not sure if it will eliminate the issue completly, but for sure it will help you.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

A nice steering cover with some good gripping material is an ideal option.

An offbeat alternative would be to keep a good towel on the lap and keep wiping your sweaty palms from time to time.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Get a nice leather steering wheel cover. The leather will become grippy after it comes in contact with the sweat. From my personal experience in the Palio 1.6, the leather steering cover does help in gripping since I also sometimes get sweaty palms.

You can also get a steering cover with those "finger markings" which will enhance the grip - something like the one below.

Otherwise the steering rotator also works well.

Image courtesy - google.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Attached Thumbnails
Hand slipping over the steering wheel-steeringwheelcover38011.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get a good quality stich type steering cover.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Hey Anil, as members mentioned, get a leather steering cover. The stitched one, not the put-on one.

When I was in Pune, I got it from Carax accessories shop (near Pune-Mum Expressway).

Just make sure that he puts on the right sized one. I bought 'Wheelskins' for some 550 bucks two years back.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of the case when I saw the bus driver driving on ghat sections, with coir fibers in both hands to grasp the steering better.

Get a cover with lot of beads on surface. And preferentially of softer material.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Anil: As said earlier by other members go for a good quality Leather steering cover as leather becomes grippier when damp.
Secondly, till the time you get the leather cover; dont/never apply dashboard cleaner to steering wheel plastic/rubber (if at all you apply it??), that makes it super slippery.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anil,

By any chance are you looking at reducing the sweating of the palms too apart from looking at the steering wheel cover. Any medications you are aware of? Just for my knowledge, thats all.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

A leather cover with those designs will help you get a better grip.

You can get good ones at Bafna (near Dnyaneshwar Paduka Chowk) or Modern Car Accessories (on JM rd).

Seen this with Volvo drivers in Bangalore : they keep a towel on their laps so wipe their palms.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hey Anil,

By any chance are you looking at reducing the sweating of the palms too apart from looking at the steering wheel cover. Any medications you are aware of? Just for my knowledge, thats all.
Mine is not an eternal case of palm sweating (happens only if my palms/feet tend to get hotter) so doctor said nothing to worry.

@everyone: Thanks for the sugestions. So it is unanimously leather steering grips. Though I had this in mind, I wanted to confirm if there is anyone with a similar issue and whose solution is tried and tested- looks like the steering cover does solve the problem!!

The sweating generally happens if I drive over a period of time and as someone mention it also may be due to the dashboard polish applied to steering wheel. Carnation applied dashboard polish to steering wheel, any idea how to get rid of that?
Old 21st December 2010, 14:02   #12
BHPian

Hi Anil, even I have similar sweating issues but it does not affect my grip on the wheel. Ford's steering is too slippery especially if your are hands are oily/sweating. I had noticed it in my fiesta and didnt have a problem after I got a leather hand-stiched cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hey Anil,
Any medications you are aware of? Just for my knowledge, thats all.
I had never been to a doc to consult this. Would like to know if there is a medication.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:04   #13
BHPian

Hi anil, i would suggest you to try magnesium carbonate power-
"Magnesium carbonate is a naturally available chemical that is very popular for its water absorbent capacity. This unique property is used to remove the dampness of those hands of the climbers that is created by sweat."
you can get this powder at any adventure clubs or outdoor sports shops.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:54   #14
BHPian

Hi Anil,

I would suggest soft cotton gloves rather than a towel to wipe your palms / steering wheel as even if you take your eyes of the road for a few seconds anything can happen.

I feel it is safer to use gloves as you will not have any slippage.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 21st December 2010, 15:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Mine is not an eternal case of palm sweating (happens only if my palms/feet tend to get hotter) so doctor said nothing to worry.

The sweating generally happens if I drive over a period of time and as someone mention it also may be due to the dashboard polish applied to steering wheel. Carnation applied dashboard polish to steering wheel, any idea how to get rid of that?
Hey Anil, I have the same issue, sweaty palms during the winter season. I usually rub a powder on my palms before a long drive (forgot the name, will give it to u tomorrow). It works for me, hopefully it will for you too.
Wipe down your steering wheel with a damp towel to get rid of the polish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks