Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2005, 13:21   #1
BHPian

High Octane and Maruti

hi dudes,
its been long time since i posted my stupid questions.
well my query is "whether high ocatne petrol will increase the performance of maruti 800" (i ve heard somewhere that high octane petrol performs well only in high comprssn ratio engines)
and what is the compression ratio of maruti 800?

i ve read in article here, that toluene addition can increase the octane value of petrol, so what is the best octane number for a maruti 800.
in that article it was said that toluene costs about 30rs/ltre, but when i asked a chemical store, they said it costs about 360rs/litre
are there any other methods to increase the octane value of petrol....
please reply
bye,
Pratheesh Prakash

Last edited by pratheesh : 24th December 2005 at 13:23.
Old 24th December 2005, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pratheesh.
A similar thread exists here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ve+performance

I hope you will find your answers in that post.
The search utility at the top is a great little tool...
Old 26th December 2005, 03:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it was said that toluene costs about 30rs/ltre, but when i asked a chemical store, they said it costs about 360rs/litre
Purified toluene can be got for 60 bucks a litre.But, lab grade toluene which is used for research is priced at around 300 bucks a litre. I've had bad experiences with toluene blowing up two yamaha 135 cc engines when i mixed to get 100 octane fuel out of 93 octane fuel about 6 months back. I dont know why. So, i'm not against using toluene but i'm warning u about the risk.
Old 26th December 2005, 03:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

you do get octane boosters.. check with performance dealers or i think even STP makes them..
Old 26th December 2005, 04:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheesh
"whether high ocatne petrol will increase the performance of maruti 800"
No, it generally will not. It will only if
  • You increase the compression or advance the timing
  • If you already have a knocking problem for some other reason
Old 1st January 2006, 17:58   #6
BHPian

cheers to xtra premium, i g0t 21 kmpl using xtra premium on a long trip..... no problems for engine so far...!!!
Old 2nd January 2006, 02:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i g0t 21 kmpl using xtra premium on a long trip.....
WHOAAA! Did u do the maruti 'mileage challenge' or something??

Pls tell us more about ur car. Is it mpfi or carb?? Did u get this figure with ac on/off? How did u check the mileage??
Old 2nd January 2006, 17:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

Pls tell us more about ur car. Is it mpfi or carb?? Did u get this figure with ac on/off? How did u check the mileage??
carburettor.....travelled in between 60-80 kmph, without ac.

fuelled 12.55 litres of xtra premium, and checked the meter it was *414 (before fuelling the tank was almost empty, the pointer was just below the 'E') and just before the next refuel i checked and the reading was *678 (at this time the pointer was exactly at "E")
and the rest is mathematics,.....

infact my engine overheated during the trip (my radiator was empty) , else the mileage would have been more than 22 kmpl......

cheers to high octane

now my goal is to prepare my own high ocatne and nitrous i need your VALUABLE opinion...

yours,

pratheesh prakash

Last edited by pratheesh : 2nd January 2006 at 17:55.
Old 2nd January 2006, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheesh
fuelled 12.55 litres of xtra premium, and checked the meter it was *414 (before fuelling the tank was almost empty, the pointer was just below the 'E') and just before the next refuel i checked and the reading was *678 (at this time the pointer was exactly at "E")
and the rest is mathematics,.....
Did you top up after at the end of the trip ? i.e. when the reading was *678 ?
Old 2nd January 2006, 21:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

normal 87octane petrol is what a maruti 800 is tuned for.
Old 7th January 2006, 18:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Did you top up after at the end of the trip ? i.e. when the reading was *678 ?
oops! i didnt get you (I AM STUPID), if you mean filling the tank i didnt do that, and please tell me the necessity of doing so...
well though M800 is tuned for 87 octane, my car knocked at low speeds. but when i used xtra premium, i was able to travel at low speeds without shifting the gear down. I think that might have helped to achieve this mileage...
and also another guy using the mpfi 5gear version (new one) of M800 got 21kmpl (i dont remember his name, i think it is adit, look for more in the car review section : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...tml#post161642 )...
i dont think the result i got was wrong.... and still i am using Xtra premium....

well nitrous, please tell me what all precautions you should take when mixing our own high octane petrol...

thanks...

Pratheesh Prakash

Last edited by pratheesh : 7th January 2006 at 18:43.
Old 9th January 2006, 16:59   #12
BHPian

But you say your pointer was below E when you filled up (12.55Ltr) and when you calculated mileage your pointer was at 'E'.
How do you know exactly how much fuel difference is there between "below E and E", and if you do did you take this into account ?

Best method to calculate FE (than reading needles from fuel guage) is - say your needle is halfway (can be anywhere!) you fill up tank completely. (Ask the guy filling to stop when the fuel nozzle sensor stops first-time). Take the start reading (x414 in your case) - Next time you go fuel your car (again say halfway needle) and now you top up (full tank like above) again. Say this time 10 ltr fuel went in, you check the odo, now you have final km (- initial km/10 = your mileage)

Sorry if you are aware of above and did your testing correctly and I am being too pedantic , but just that 21 sounds like a figure too high.
Old 9th January 2006, 17:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

yeah the best way to calculate FE is tank up the car fully and then drive till the half tank level and then tank up again...then use mathematics...the one that you have used can have errors ...but still you have got good FE...cheers ...
go to the FE thread and you will see that many of our cars have given better FE
Old 9th January 2006, 17:46   #14
BHPian

21 kmpl is not a big deal for m800 or zen or esteem. I got 18kmpl with AC in my Palio 1.2 (OV) in highway travel (Tambaram to villupuram).
Old 9th January 2006, 19:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

maruti 800 is one of the most FE cars around... i happen to also own a 4 geared MPFI version NON AC, and i get b/w 16 and 18 in city and b/w 21 and 23 on highways.... all on regular unleaded fuel....

all it needs is timely service and some love...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks