Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Severe engine damage in my Hyundai Accent

Hi all,

Our Hyundai Accent recently faced a major problem. It is less than two years old, a complete service was done at an authorized service center at 22,000
including complete general checkup, engine oil filling, etc. This was only 2 months back.

And, a quick general checkup was done at around 25,000 at another authorized service center. The very next day, after I had done about 140 km on the highway (not crossing over 100 kmph), there was a very loud noise from the front and the engine stalled.

I drove to the side of the highway and I managed to park it safely. Tried starting but the ignition wouldn't go on. 10 minutes later I found a huge pool of oil below the right front wheel. I called for road services and they picked up the car.

A few days back I was told the frame (?) on which the engine was resting had a bend (?) and oil had fully leaked out and as a result, the crank shaft had worn very quickly. Now they are saying I have to replace the entire crank shaft, a couple of broken connecting rods and a lot of other parts in the engine for a total of Rs. 70,000.

I don't understand. For one, there was no oil low indicator. Two, the engine temperature indicator even after it stalled was nearer to cold than hot. And three, if it was a chronic problem with a slow oil leak, the service center should have picked it up. If not, is it possible so much oil can leak so fast? And lastly, I have only driven on a flat road (NH) and if it was a stone hitting, how can a (?) frame be built so fragile?

The service center said the company won't cover warranty because they have evidence of an impact and the insurance would only cover the bent frame and not the engine! I am stuck.

Can anyone help me out with some contacts of higher officials in Hyundai who will be able to help me with this?

P.S.: Also, the service center is saying since I had upsized my tyres by 1", they would not cover the warranty! That is just ridiculous. If anything, the upsizing only increases the ground clearance.

Last edited by lynx : 4th January 2011 at 16:48.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Severe engine damage in my Hyundai Accent

They detected a potential leaking sump and didn't fix it?

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th January 2011 at 16:47.
Old 4th January 2011, 19:41   #3
BHPian

Chetan,

No they didn't detect anything. :( That was the worrying point. How would I know there was a long term oil spill if the oil indicator on the dashboard wouldn't show it?

Or if it all had happened in just one minute (is that possible?), how can the underside be so weak that a stone that was so small that I couldn't see it at <100 kmph could damage it so much?
Old 4th January 2011, 20:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls have a look at skanchan95's rattling steering i20 thread (searc for that, should lead you to it). He has quite a few Hyundai officials listed there.

As a former Accent owner, I can testify to its ridiculously low GC. Is it possible you (or someone else driving) hit something massive and this is the consequence?
Old 4th January 2011, 21:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
Hi all,

Our Hyundai Accent recently faced a major problem. It is less than two years old, a complete service was done at an authorized service center at 22,000
including complete general checkup, engine oil filling, etc. This was only 2 months back.

And, a quick general checkup was done at around 25,000 at another authorized service center. The very next day, after I had done about 140 km on the highway (not crossing over 100 kmph), there was a very loud noise from the front and the engine stalled.

I drove to the side of the highway and I managed to park it safely. Tried starting but the ignition wouldn't go on. 10 minutes later I found a huge pool of oil below the right front wheel. I called for road services and they picked up the car.

A few days back I was told the frame (?) on which the engine was resting had a bend (?) and oil had fully leaked out and as a result, the crank shaft had worn very quickly. Now they are saying I have to replace the entire crank shaft, a couple of broken connecting rods and a lot of other parts in the engine for a total of Rs. 70,000.

I don't understand. For one, there was no oil low indicator. Two, the engine temperature indicator even after it stalled was nearer to cold than hot. And three, if it was a chronic problem with a slow oil leak, the service center should have picked it up. If not, is it possible so much oil can leak so fast? And lastly, I have only driven on a flat road (NH) and if it was a stone hitting, how can a (?) frame be built so fragile?

The service center said the company won't cover warranty because they have evidence of an impact and the insurance would only cover the bent frame and not the engine! I am stuck.

Can anyone help me out with some contacts of higher officials in Hyundai who will be able to help me with this?

P.S.: Also, the service center is saying since I had upsized my tyres by 1", they would not cover the warranty! That is just ridiculous. If anything, the upsizing only increases the ground clearance.
Dear brother these guys at HYUNDAI A.S.S. are nothing but bunch of jokers, I had a Accent CRDI 2004 done 21000kms, it was under extended waranty.
Suddenly one day there was a cloud of black smoke from exhaust, I went to their service centre and was told that Injectors and BOSCH pump will have to be serviced, I told them that it is a korean origin car and not a german origin then how can a service advisor like you call Injection Pump as BOSCH pump, Bosch is a name of a compony who makes Injection Pumps and injectors for deisel engines.The idiot had no face to show and said that we call it BOSCH PUMP and thats it .
You can imagin that authorised S.S. guys using road side mechanics phrases and terms.Lateron he me that the injectors and the pump will be sent to kolhapur for service since there is no servicepoint in MUMBAI.
He said it will take atleast 10 days and the cost of only service will be 15000/- parts extra, incase our injectors are beyond repairs then new set of injectors will have to be procured @ 19000/- each X 3 nos.

I said I will come back to you later and went streight to Mr. Mohan at Gajdhar Bandh Santacruz,he was recomended by my freind. He saw the car and asked his boys to open the pump and replace the complete service kit consisting of O rings and gaskets etc.

In the meanwhile his boys cleaned the air filter,which was full of dust,I told Mohan that the car was serviced 14 days back,he just smiled and I understood.

After all that service of the pump the car started instantly amd WITHOUT any smoke,exhaust was clear,infact It was feeling that it is accelerating without any effort.

He told me HO GAYA HAI SAHAB, I did not want a trial also but he insisted
and the car was gliding and from IRWM I was watching any smoke,NO there was no smoke.

Now when I asked him about charges he said 1350/- inc the cost of kit.

I felt like going to that idiot at A.S.S. and give him atight one on his face.

This is what we get from so called A.A.S.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chetan,

No they didn't detect anything. :( That was the worrying point. How would I know there was a long term oil spill if the oil indicator on the dashboard wouldn't show it?

Or if it all had happened in just one minute (is that possible?), how can the underside be so weak that a stone that was so small that I couldn't see it at <100 kmph could damage it so much?
Your comment about the bent engine frame had me thinking that they knew about a possible leak. If they didn't know/didn't tell you, that's seriously unprofessional/irresponsible on their part. At the very least, they should've told you about the possible drawbacks driving around with an unstably mounted engine.

Two things might have happened:

1. The weakened/bent part of the frame might have collapsed partially, damaging your sump.

2. Your car might have bottomed out, or a stone bounced off one of the front tires and punctured the engine oil sump.

I'm just speculating on possible reasons here, and you might be able to shed more light on it.

As for speed, a stone bouncing off a tire even at 60-70 kmph has enough momentum to do some serious damage to unprotected parts, even solid metal. Is your engine guard plate (beneath the engine bay) intact? Get one installed if there isn't one or if the existing one is damaged.

For the future, please make it a point to take a look at Engine Oil, coolant and brake fluid levels at regular intervals. Barely takes a minute or two, and will go a long way in avoiding nasty surprises on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Dear brother these guys at HYUNDAI A.S.S. are nothing but bunch of jokers, I had a Accent CRDI 2004 done 21000kms, it was under extended waranty...

This is what we get from so called A.A.S.
Sadly, A.S.S. incompetence is a rampant phenomenon across the country. So the onus is on us to protect our beloved machines.

I always insist on standing in the workshop while my vehicles are serviced, and always double and triple check everything I possibly can.

Finding a reliable mechanic outside is an iffy thing. For every Mohan you mention, there are hundreds of thieves posing as mechanics on our roadsides. If you can find a reliable mechanic who knows his trade, stick to him like a leech

Last edited by Zappo : 5th January 2011 at 01:03. Reason: Use the multi quote button please. Posts merged.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Errr...why can't a Korean car use a Bosch pump?
Old 5th January 2011, 00:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Your comment about the bent engine frame had me thinking that they knew about a possible leak. If they didn't know/didn't tell you, that's seriously unprofessional/irresponsible on their part. At the very least, they should've told you about the possible drawbacks driving around with an unstably mounted engine.

Two things might have happened:

1. The weakened/bent part of the frame might have collapsed partially, damaging your sump.

2. Your car might have bottomed out, or a stone bounced off one of the front tires and punctured the engine oil sump.

I'm just speculating on possible reasons here, and you might be able to shed more light on it.

As for speed, a stone bouncing off a tire even at 60-70 kmph has enough momentum to do some serious damage to unprotected parts, even solid metal. Is your engine guard plate (beneath the engine bay) intact? Get one installed if there isn't one or if the existing one is damaged.

For the future, please make it a point to take a look at Engine Oil, coolant and brake fluid levels at regular intervals. Barely takes a minute or two, and will go a long way in avoiding nasty surprises on the road.
Thanks. No they only told me about the bent frame now. They are saying it must have happened on the highway travel after I took it from the second general checkup the day before. They are saying the frame itself could have bent from a stone hitting it from below at speed. From your post I gather that may not be possible?

Also, I can't recall the car bottoming out in the recent times - at least 3 months. I am not sure about the engine guard. But if a stone can hit at a normal speed and cause so much damage it doesn't really speak highly of the build quality does it?
Old 5th January 2011, 00:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. No they only told me about the bent frame now. They are saying it must have happened on the highway travel after I took it from the second general checkup the day before. They are saying the frame itself could have bent from a stone hitting it from below at speed. From your post I gather that may not be possible?

Also, I can't recall the car bottoming out in the recent times - at least 3 months. I am not sure about the engine guard. But if a stone can hit at a normal speed and cause so much damage it doesn't really speak highly of the build quality does it?
You're underestimating the momentum of a stone bounced from a tire. Believe me, I've had first-hand experience (not on my Accent though), and an average stone the size of a ping-pong ball can wreak absolute havoc if it manages to hit a vulnerable part.

I still don't buy the bent-frame theory the A.S.S. guys are trying to sell you. Seems to me they noticed it, but either ignored it or thought it was too minute to be of any consequence. Apparently not.

Small stone hits can cause surface ruptures, not bend frames (unless it was a bottoming-out case, which you say didn't happen). Something is amiss here. Don't accept blame just because they say so. They might very well be trying to shift blame here. Try to get a honest diagnosis done, preferably from a neutral guy.
Old 5th January 2011, 00:30   #10
BHPian

I don't have much of technical know-how (as it must be apparent) and I don't know of anyone else in the small city I am in too. I am going there tomorrow to visit and take some photographs of the damage. Anything in particular I should look for and document with photos? I will post them here once I have them.
Old 5th January 2011, 00:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have much of technical know-how (as it must be apparent) and I don't know of anyone else in the small city I am in too. I am going there tomorrow to visit and take some photographs of the damage. Anything in particular I should look for and document with photos? I will post them here once I have them.
I think pics would help a lot, esp. detailed ones of the engine bay from the bottom (take some good close-ups if you can). There are a lot of well-connected & technically knowledgeable guys on this forum. You probably can't find a better place to ask for help.

Don't lose heart. It's your car and you need to stand up for it. I'm sure T-BHP would do all it can to help.
Old 5th January 2011, 01:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

@lynx:

Here's a link to the thread noopster was referring to:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

The contact info you might need is on pages 4 & 6.

Mods: Couldn't edit my previous post as the 20-min edit limit was over. Please merge the 2 responses.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2011 at 01:10.
Old 5th January 2011, 01:40   #13
BHPian

To begin with, go to a large service center, small town folks might not like to take on such a big liability on their books for even a small period of time.

Quote:
The service center said the company won't cover warranty because they have evidence of an impact
Ask them to give it to you in writing, stating this very thing...

Quote:
and the insurance would only cover the bent frame and not the engine! I am stuck...
...now that you have proof of accidental damage, use it to claim insurance for the entire service bill. Further, if I were you, I'd get a friendly mechanic to give a written opinion on the cause of damage, which can be presented along with the claim, cementing your position.

Since the amount is large, there might be a bit of a pushback from the insurance firm, but once you put in a claim, it becomes a legal matter, that can (should) be challenged, if disapproved or partly approved.

PS: Consumer courts settle in ~15 to 18 months.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:43   #14
BHPian

I went to the service center today. And all that happened was me losing my temper at the end of two hours of talks. The engine is completely disassembled and kept in a separate room. The entire engine bay was empty save for the frame near the periphery which had a very small bend.

The service manager today said when they found the vehicle, the "oil cap" that is screwed in and used to drain engine oil out was missing which was the reason the oil had spilled out fully and the engine damaged in a matter of minutes. But he flatly refused to give any of this in writing - not even a written reason why warranty would not work for this. He had the nerve to say you can't even appeal about this in a court of law since alloy wheels account for modification and as the owner's manual states any modification voids all warranty.

And insurance would cover only the bent frame which he now thinks is probably unrelated and an oil cap!

The maximum he can do is give a list of parts to be replaced and the estimated costs. Also, when I asked if I can apply for insurance for the entire amount, he said he doesn't know how that will work since they have disassembled everything prior to inspection.

I am really cross and I am now thinking of selling the vehicle. It is an Accent Executive bought in January, 2009. Petrol. Run ~ 25,000 km. Has 5 Neo Sports 14" alloys and Yokohoma tyres, which was changed at ~ 19,000 km and cost Rs. 38,000. Has 3M films on all sides costing Rs. 11,500. And insurance is renewed for next year for Rs. 10,000 just a few weeks back. Given the estimated repair cost of Rs. 70,000, will it be a good price if I can sell it off at Rs. 3,10,000 including all the above, BEFORE repair? Or should I expect more?

I am thinking of going for a hot hatchback with a better after sales service, like a Maruti Swift Vxi.
Old 5th January 2011, 22:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Can you explain what is "sump" as I also own a Accent GLE (Petrol) and want to be aware of this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks