Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 16:55   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Automatic: Transmission Issue

Team,

A week back, engine check light on the instrument cluster of my Scorpio AT lit up. Transmission was behaving erratically with violent jerks on shifting from N to D or from N to R. The intelligent ECU understood this issue and is in limp mode.

Car was sent to the workshop at Koncept Automobiles Ltd., Noida on 28th December 2010.

Following error codes could be retrieved from the scanner:
P0721
P0302

If the service advisor is to be believed, both these error codes are related to AT. The issue still persists after swapping the sensor with a new one.

Workshop people raised a request with Mahindra and are waiting for their response ever since. They say Mahindra have asked them to hold on with their diagnosis until their next notice. 7 days already, no development to resolve this issue!

Has anyone heard of such an issue with Scorpio AT?

I request members, especially those from Mahindra (SPIKE, BD Sir) to chip in and express their views on this.
live2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 17:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Scorpio Automatic: Transmission Issue

For your first error code:

Quote:
DTC: P0721

FAULT DESCRIPTION

Output speed sensor
signal out of range (high)

OBD II MONITORING CONDITIONS

Drive vehicle and accelerate to force
downshifting.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Transmission internal harness output speed sensor circuit: intermittent open circuit or short circuit to ground or B+ voltage Transmission to TCM harness output speed sensor circuit: intermittent open circuit or short circuit to ground or B+ voltage Intermittent speed sensor failure
(source: unofficialbmw.com)
Second one: P0302

Please check OBD-II Trouble Code: P0302 Cylinder 2 Two Misfire Detected

Hope these info help you in getting problem fixed. Can't say much as I am not versed with these new gen. diesel engines.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Team,

A week back, engine check light on the instrument cluster of my Scorpio AT lit up. Transmission was behaving erratically with violent jerks on shifting from N to D or from N to R. The intelligent ECU understood this issue and is in limp mode.

Car was sent to the workshop at Koncept Automobiles Ltd., Noida on 28th December 2010.

Following error codes could be retrieved from the scanner:
P0721
P0302

If the service advisor is to be believed, both these error codes are related to AT. The issue still persists after swapping the sensor with a new one.

Workshop people raised a request with Mahindra and are waiting for their response ever since. They say Mahindra have asked them to hold on with their diagnosis until their next notice. 7 days already, no development to resolve this issue!

Has anyone heard of such an issue with Scorpio AT?

I request members, especially those from Mahindra (SPIKE, BD Sir) to chip in and express their views on this.
I have been having issues with my Scorp AT as well, although the symtoms are a bit different.

At a certain RPM (around 1600), I feel vibrations in Scorpio as if I am driving on a gravel road while in reality I am driving on a smooth road. I took it to the Service center and they said that there was a "retro" where they changed some of the metallic pipes that carry AT transmission fluid to different ones.

They did the above retro fitment to my Scorp AT and also they reprogrammed the ECU by driving it on various speeds. They drove about 100 kms for that.

When I took the delivery of Scorp, the problem got addressed to a large extent. It wasn't completely solved. I was told that it would get better after I drive for about 500 Kms. I didn't understand the logic and played along.

However over time the vibrations came back, stronger than before. Now they are telling me that they need to change the "sensor". I am taking my car again this week to get that sorted out.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:30   #4
BHPian

Ask the service guy to check the complete AT wire harness each and every connector need to properly checked(open the connector and reconnect it back) the base connector at the transmission comes out easily but its real hard to set in, most of the time that is the cause of misbehaviour! The service center need to have the circuit diagram for the AT harness. There is an internal software upgrade for AT that solves lot of problem, but after upgrade the AT need to be trained in each gears else it start hunting and the vehicle will have jerks while gear gets changed. This training is very specialized and require lots of time and expertise too. I suggest getting in touch with Mahindra and let Mahindra people do that rather than dealer.
-Pramod
Old 5th January 2011, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guys you seems to be scaring me. I am all set to buy the VLX AT in next few months. But it seems like the AT HAS PROBLEMS. Is the AT not reliable or what? I dont want to make visits to workshops with a new vehicle.

Anyone else with AT version and facing issues?
Old 8th January 2011, 10:46   #6
BHPian

@taureanbull: Buddy I seriously hope this is a one off case. Do not get disheartened.

@pramods, hashim, hondadude, SPIKE: Thank you so much for the inputs. My apologies for not updating this thread on time.

As per recent communication with Mr Arora, Customer Care Manager(Delhi) the entire transmission will be swapped with a new one. It will be dispatched today from Nasik.

The entire process shall take one week including the transit time.

Will update this thread on a regular basis.

Abhinav

Last edited by live2drive : 8th January 2011 at 10:47.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:45   #7
BHPian

I was told some time ago, that in Mahindra Scorpio AT , the transmission job in this car was outsourced to some other company. I mean, that the AT of this car is not developed by Mahindra as such. Is this true?

By the way, a friend of mine was telling me about a problem his cousin's Mahindra scorpio AT was having, i never bothered to ask him about the details, but it was similar to the 'jerks' hondadude talked about it in his reply.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:03   #8
BHPian

Yup. The transmission isn't indian - IIRC it was sourced from an Australian firm.

AT's are usually just replaced when they fail and do cost a small fortune.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post

The entire process shall take one week including the transit time.

Will update this thread on a regular basis.

Abhinav
This is where mahindra stands out compared to dear TATA. Even though the diagnosis could not be done, they want to swap the gearbox with a new one and probably take this one and strip it to find the real cause. Good on you Mahindra.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:20   #10
BHPian

You are right. Although the fault was somewhat rectified, Mr Arora insisted for a complete transmission change so that the same issue does not crop up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is where mahindra stands out compared to dear TATA. Even though the diagnosis could not be done, they want to swap the gearbox with a new one and probably take this one and strip it to find the real cause. Good on you Mahindra.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

So whats the status now ? Car back at home ? Who is doing the change ? Dealer or M&M ?

Havent heard any such issues from Shatrughna, another BHPian with 4WD AT Scorpio.

Hondadude, what is the remedy for your car now ?
Old 15th January 2011, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Hondadude, what is the remedy for your car now ?
One transmission sensor was changed and also EGR valve. Apparently the problem is gone but I haven't received vehicle to verify that. Will probably get it on Monday and then I will update.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:42   #13
BHPian

The Truck is back with a brand new gearbox. Issue has'nt cropped back again(knock on the wood).

Overall experience with Mahindra Customer care was good, but the Workshop people left a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
One transmission sensor was changed and also EGR valve. Apparently the problem is gone but I haven't received vehicle to verify that. Will probably get it on Monday and then I will update.
hondadude, any updates?
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Hondadude, did the problem go away? Mine has the same problem this week!! I feel like I am driving on a scrapped up road at nearly the same rpm
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Hondadude, did the problem go away? Mine has the same problem this week!! I feel like I am driving on a scrapped up road at nearly the same rpm
Yes, the problem was solved. You should take it to the service center and get it sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks