Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 21:18   #1
BHPian

'07 Honda City ZX nearly caught fire!

I own a Honda City ZX 1.5 VTEC April 2007 model.

Today I was driving back home from my work at around 6:00PM in the evening. I was alone in the car and front-driver side and front-passenger side windows were down. I was entering a dusty road so thought of pulling up the windows.

I pressed the button on my cars driver side door to pull up the windows. Windows were coming up and suddenly I observed lot of dense smoke inside the car. I could see the thick dense smoke coming out of the driver side door at very fast rate. Since the windows were almost up it became difficult for

me to breath.

I immediately switched the emergency lights on and slowed down and started pulling the car on my left side. It was difficult to see the rear view mirror and this thick smoke and was chocking my lungs. Still I managed to get onto the left and stopped, switched the ignition off and removed the keys and

came out. All this happened very quickly.

Finally I felt little relaxed. Now I called up Honda One-2-One and informed them about the whole incident. Also informed the same to my dealership Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road.

After taking care and checking with the engineer at Dakshin Honda, I turned on the ignition and checked the switches on the driver side door. Out of four power window switches, one switch which controls the front-passenger side window was not working. I was not even able to press it. Other

switched seemed to be working fine.

I immediately went to Dakshin Honda. It was already 6:30 PM by now and most of the staff already left. They confirmed that the switch assembly need to be replaced.

I checked with them if my car is part of the Honda Recall. The cars that were recalled are with manufacturing number in series N4. My car is N3 series (manufacturing number) and hence it is not part of the recall. But cars which were manufactured immediately after my car were recalled.

My car came with 2 years warranty and I purchsed 1 year extended warranty which is now expired. So my car is not covered under warranty now.

Note: My car met with an accident last month. Damage was on front bumper, LHS fender and LHS head lamp. Repair work was carried out at Dakshin Honda and LHS head lamp assembly was replaced. Soon after the body repair work, car was handed over to service department as it was due for service at

42000 kms. Service department reported that the LHS headlight is not working.

Accident happened at night and I immediately inspected my car after the incident on the spot. I remember that both the head lamps were working fine. I also inspected my car after returning home and parking it at my house at night with the head lamps on.

Hence I argued with Dakshin Honda and got it done at their cost. I took the delivery after this repair work done and on my way back home, I realized that AC of my car was not working. Even the blower was not working. I informed Dakshin Honda and they sent a person to my home to fix it. He

mentioned that the wiring was not fixed properly.

Absolutely no work done on driver side door in last repair/service.

But to my notice today, same head lamp LHS which was replaced, is again not working now. I'm suspecting something wrong.

Before taking any decision and giving the car for repair I thought of taking experts advice on this forum. Experts, I need your help here. Please guid me what can I do?

1. Shall I get the repair done at my own cost?
2. Should Honda in any circumstances is supposed to take care of repair?
3. Is it possible that work done on my car in last repair/service (LHS head lamp assembly changed) at Dakshin Honda could have caused this?
4. Should I go to other Honda Dealership and get the complete wiring checked at my own cost?
Old 19th January 2011, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City ZX 1.5 VTEC April 2007 model, was near to catch fire.

get the entire car's wiring checked from a good Honda service centre, and secondly, last year, Honda issued a recall to replace faulty power window switches in ZX model. Was your car in that list and did you get it replaced? Moresever, did you get any after market accessories installed from inside?
Old 19th January 2011, 22:11   #3
BANNED

I faced the same thrice with my Esteem, which I owned for six years. It is pretty frightening when it happens for the first time. In my case twice the front drivers door was the culprit, and once the rear rhs door. I must add that I never had this in my almost eight years with the Accent.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
get the entire car's wiring checked from a good Honda service centre, and secondly, last year, Honda issued a recall to replace faulty power window switches in ZX model. Was your car in that list and did you get it replaced? Moresever, did you get any after market accessories installed from inside?
I checked with Honda last year also and confirmed once again with them today. They say that my car is not part of the recall. My car is N3 series manufacturing number. They recalled cars manufactured after my car with series N4 manufacturing number.

Yes, 8 months back I got all four speakers and 2 amplifiers installed from Car Sringar, Bangalore.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: '07 Honda City ZX nearly caught fire!

Firstly, I'm glad that you are okay, and had the presence of mind to stop the car safely.

This is most definitely a power window switch and / or motor problem &, I have a feeling, related to the recall that Honda conducted. Did you tell Honda about this incident? It would be shameful if they don't replace your defective switch F-O-C, considering their recent recall on the exact same issue. Either ways, whether at their cost or yours, ensure that it's replaced and the wiring thoroughly checked.

BTW, I don't agree with your starting the car after this incident. Sure, nothing happened, but I'd rather be safe rather than sorry. Towing would have been a better option.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Firstly, I'm glad that you are okay, and had the presence of mind to stop the car safely.
========
BTW, I don't agree with your starting the car after this incident. Sure, nothing happened, but I'd rather be safe rather than sorry. Towing would have been a better option.
Yes, I did call Honda 121 and informed them about the incident. Today also sent a mail to them quoting the reference number of my yesterday's complaint. Now waiting for the reply from Honda.

Yes, I agree with you on starting the car. That is the reason I first spoke to the engineer at Honda and followed his instructions. well, yes, it is good to be on safer side always.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Glad that things din't get out of control.

Here's what I'm wondering; since N4 was recalled and your's is N3, could it be possible that some parts originally meant for the N4 were installed in N3.

Going by the repair history, if the workshop finds the cause to be faulty wiring done during the accident repair, the workshop should be liable to fix the damage now (although this is ideal case).

I think you should communicate this incident with Honda and then proceed.

And if there's ever a fire, do not start the ignition. That was quite a risk you took there! It was wrong on the mechanic to ask you to check if buttons were working in the first place. Get the car towed.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:48   #8
BHPian

Arun: Glad that you are safe. Like others mentioned already, wrong on your side starting the car after the smole issue. If something worse happens then the engineer wouldnt have owned up the issue - but yes nothing such happened.

Regarding the smoke it looks almost like the issue with PW switch only. Now the only thing is try to talk to Dakshin honda guys to see what they are saying N3/N4 is really the case and if they can do the switch replacement within the recall. Otherwise do the replacement at your cost. But make sure that the switch is replaced

Regarding the other issues, Headlight, AC etc please get it inspected by Dakshin Honda guys - but tell them that it must be done in detail. It looks like a general wiring / electrical issue.

Who is the SA at Dakshin Honda taking care of your vehicle?

All the best

narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 20th January 2011 at 19:49. Reason: spell checks
Old 20th January 2011, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Here's what I'm wondering; since N4 was recalled and your's is N3, could it be possible that some parts originally meant for the N4 were installed in N3.
I also feel that it is quite possible, but Honda does not seems to accept that. May be it is not.

Quote:
Going by the repair history, if the workshop finds the cause to be faulty wiring done during the accident repair, the workshop should be liable to fix the damage now (although this is ideal case).
Yes, definitely. But if I go to the same dealership (Dakshin Honda), will they accept it if they find any issues? that is my worry.

And if I go to other dealership (say Magnum Honda), then if they find issues with wiring that is quite possibly done during last repair. How will I take it up with Dakshin Honda?

Quote:
I think you should communicate this incident with Honda and then proceed.
Yes, I already communicated this whole thing to Honda.

Quote:
And if there's ever a fire, do not start the ignition. That was quite a risk you took there! It was wrong on the mechanic to ask you to check if buttons were working in the first place. Get the car towed.
[/quote]

yeah, will take care in future.
Old 20th January 2011, 23:33   #10
BHPian

Mr. Sunil is taking care of my car at Dakshin Honda. I personally feel he is a good guy. Now sure how things happen inside the workshop.

This time I'll make sure that dealership gives me permission to be present in the workshop and all the wiring inspection and other jobs are performed infornt of me personally.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the racket it has made in your case, the cost involved in replacing them is no biggie (If the dealer does not bear it). My IKON's cost me just 900 bucks. Even if Honda charges double, you can assure safety.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:52   #12
BHPian

If Honda OR Dealership, neither takes it, definitely I'll have to take care of it on my own. I was also checking with the insurance. Since I already accessed my policy for last repair, I do not have no-claim bonus. Insurance say's that they will cover me for 50% charges.

Dealer quotes approx. Rs. 5000/- for this work.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunksaral View Post
And if I go to other dealership (say Magnum Honda), then if they find issues with wiring that is quite possibly done during last repair. How will I take it up with Dakshin Honda?
I doubt Dakshin will be so kind to accept that their mechanics did the wiring incorrectly which resulted in the smoke.

The best you could do is communicate to Honda the detailed history (including bills of the repair done) and ask a Honda technician to check it. Then you could leave it to them on who pays up.

The problem with pressing too hard in this case and making Dakshin pay is, you'll have to worry over if they don't flick OEM parts from your car just for making them pay.

Make your case, if they pay, fair enough. Else, get it done at some other dealer.

And since you've already lost the NCB, you could claim insurance.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunksaral View Post
Dealer quotes approx. Rs. 5000/- for this work.
5,000??... That should mean that you are getting your winder motors replaced too? And are there any burnt upholstery to be patched up?.

Please confirm.
Old 21st January 2011, 18:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
5,000??... That should mean that you are getting your winder motors replaced too? And are there any burnt upholstery to be patched up?.

Please confirm.
No, upholstery is safe. That is what is looks from outside. Dakshin Honda claims that the power window switch on driver side door will be replaced and cost of this part is around Rs. 4500/-.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks