Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 23:54   #1
BHPian

New Ford Figo : Odometer reads 110 kms. Trip meter says 7,400 kms!! How?

Have loads to write and share. Just came home after getting delivery of my Black Ford Figo - Titanium from Bhavna Ford, Nerul - New Bombay but before that i urgently need some peace of mind else i wont sleep because this is what happened on my way back home:

The overall kllometer reading when i took delivery was 110. I was very upset and demanded an explanation but they gave me jazz about pdi test drive. Crap! But the biggest jolt was when i decided to check the trip meter and the trip meter read ...hold your breaths..7400 !! I asked them for an explanation and they gave me some more jazz about how they hadnt reset it and that its an electronic system etc. Now i have a good mind to believe them as the VIN (as confirmed by Wilfred) is a november manufactured car. No way on earth can someone clock 7k odd kms in a month and odd unless he was driving like crazy everyday. And the other aspect is that the km reading is showing 110 and the car looks and feels brand new.

Surely for a 7k run vehicle, some amount of wear and tear would have been evident. But id still like to understand from the experts or others as to what could have caused this. Should i write to Ford? Luckily i took a pic of it.

Second dampner when i was driving back home (Thane) and on little uneven surfaces (not bad roads), i could feel the dashboard kind of hum. Not rattle mind you but slight humming like if you would move your fingers through a comb left to right. I called up a neighbour who knows a lot about cars / engines and himself bought a figo sometime back and he says that the dashboard thing is probably due to a loose fitment (some screw) and that its nothing to lose sleep over.

Guys, this just spoilt the entire excitement :( Do let me know on both the situations and ill feel better.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:11   #2
BHPian

Re: My first ever new car..My first ever diesel..

Congrats Vijay on your new Figo.

7k run is not possible in a month time, true. However why is it showing 7k?? Big question, something fishy here. Write to Ford and see what is their justification.

Dashboard can be fixed in the first service this should not be an issue to spoil your excitement. C'mon buddy you have got one nice car, so please enjoy it and do tell us more about it.

Where are pics??
Old 21st January 2011, 00:12   #3
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vij

Congrats on your new drive. Figo is a good car and the diesel is a Gem.

I would advice you not to worry over the issues mentioned. I got my Fusion in 2007 with 130 kms on the speedo. I was worried, angry and upset on this. But today after completing 107,000 kms, the car is touch-wood driving well.

The 7000 kms on the trip meter has to be a electronic mistake. My Fusion's tripmeter resets itself after going to 2200 kms.

The "hum" in the dashboard could really be a slightly loose screw somewhere.

Put these thoughts to rest and enjoy your drive.

Last edited by MAS : 21st January 2011 at 00:17.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:17   #4
BHPian

Oops, what a spoil-sport on your first day of with the Figo. I definitely feel you should write to write2md@ford.com.

I hope and wish dealer's crap reply is true, but let's hear from the experts on how to really identify whether the car has run 7K kms for sure. I'm sure you would have observed wear and tear on the tyres; did you find any abnormality? Though chances of dealer putting on new tyres cannot be overlooked.

BTW, almost forgot to Congratulate you. Hearty Congratulations on the fantastic car!
Old 21st January 2011, 00:28   #5
BHPian

Makes me feel relieved guys. I refreshed the pages a dozen times before seeing the first reply. I guess anxiety.

No write2md stuff for me. The ONE reason I chose to buy my second ford (after my used fusion which crashed a few months ago), is the MD himself. Mr Michael Boneham. I write to him directly and he has been kind enough to reply personally and that was enough for me to believe in him, his product and the company.

The Bhavna Ford guys knew it. I'd made it clear that though I live in Thane and Shreeji ford is 2kms away, I still opted to give my business to Bhavna ford only because I expect good service and if I dont get it, I will ensure the CEO is aware.

Just to let you know that the sales guy called me half a dozen times before i reached home sometime back and kept pleading me to not send any mails. "Please get back your car tomorrow and we will sort out everything sir. My director has personally asked me to tell you this." - I was feeling bad and guilty about not being able to buy a gift for the guy since I really didnt have time from office and planned to go back tomorrow with a gift for him but this entire experience has just put me off.

I will click and post the pics tomorrow - took delivery post sunset today as I wanted to have it desperately. But the entire research, buying process and experience with Bhavna ford will be documented with pics shortly
Old 21st January 2011, 07:43   #6
BHPian

congrats on buying the Team's car of the year.The Worries you have shouldn't be playing a major role in spoiling your excitement.
The car is a gem. Take good care of her.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:14   #7
BANNED

Re: My first ever new car; My first ever diesel! Ford Figo

Anyone would have to work really hard to hide 7k kms of driving and pass the example off as a new car. Don't worry and get the console replaced under warranty.

Dashboard hum is certainly a loose or a fallen/extra screw/washer/nut rattling somewhere pretty deep inside the dashboard and can be taken out easily.

I have driven the Figo for a short distance and was floored by it. Congrats on the buy and do post detailed pics and ownership reports.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:44   #8
BHPian

Re: New Ford Figo : Odometer reads 110 kms. Trip meter says 7,400 kms!! How?

Hi Vijay
congrats on the new Ford mate.My friend was telling me that at Cheverolet is a factory run for 1000K before delivery. Also the 7k mark is bit superhuman effort.
Not to worry Ford has been known to deliver quality as always and they will definitely not put up a cheap gimmick. have you checked with some of your friends on the Bhavna ford experience as a dealer. what is mfg dt as per the invoice so that in case you have any issues later you can pick it up and also just take a photo of the tripmeter and get it signed by the dealership head as a future reference in case your RC book shows up a different mfg dt (btw have you chkd under the hood for the same details)

DP
Old 21st January 2011, 16:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

About six years back, I picked up a laptop and got it box sealed from a Compaq dealer. He opened the seal in front of me, installed whatever software and so on

Came home, and i found around 2000 songs on the hard disk and some 600 odd pics of unknow people. I was stunned to know this and furious as well. Called up the person and he gave all sort of excuses. Later, got to know that it was used as a demo piece. They pleaded not to infomr Compaq, as they fudged with the seal and all.

Anyway, the car is not laptop (But I paid around 70K at that point of time for sometime that measure 1/100 the size of a car, but only probably 1/7th cost of car in the 5 lakh range, so yes it was anoying)

No doubt, the 7G on your odo has to be a mistake. Or they took it for a really long number of test drives ;-). Highly unlikely, as they have seperate cars for that. But need to get it checked. Electronic trip meters etc, can result in faults at times.

Enjoy your acquisition, sleep well and just Fi Goooo hit the roads
Old 21st January 2011, 16:59   #10
BHPian

Congartualtions on your new car.

Your 'month and odd' figure for driving a car 7k kms could in fact be 2 months. The car is manufactured in November and you took delivery post mid-Jan so it is more closer to 2 months than 1 month. 7k kms in 2 months is something like 100kms a day - that's not too much of driving. Even 200 kms per day also doesn't qualify as 'crazy driving'. Half of the cabs do that much driving in a single day.

It could be an electronic error but it could equally signal something is amiss. IMO you should get a more authoritative explanation on this.
Old 21st January 2011, 17:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

A november manufacftured car would require about 3-4 weeks to reach the show room. So it has just a month to travel the 7000 kms. Moreover it is tough for one to reset an odometer and if they removed the cable then there is no way that the trip meter works in exclusivity.

So I sense something amiss with electronics, but since you know the CEO himself, why bother taking chances??
Old 21st January 2011, 20:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

7K kms in a month is surely possible, as some one rightly pointed out. But then that would show some signs of wear & tear in the car because 7K in a month is much different from 7k in say a quarter.

I would strongly suggest that you get this thing thoroughly checked because this is certainly not the way a new car's odometer or trip meter should read. And I would suggest that you take this up with the dealership once again & if you are not satisfied with their response, get in touch with the chief whom you know. That would certainly resolve your worries.

Having said that, I still feel that no matter whether you face the need to write to the CEO for this affair or not, it would be apt to bring this thing to the notice of the concerned higher management & since you are in touch with one of these people, I feel you should do that because we can never be too careful.

OT: It's good to know that the senior management of the company is investing time with even an individual as in your case. It definitely adds respect for Ford in my books.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 21st January 2011 at 20:13.
Old 21st January 2011, 20:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

7k in two month will leave a lot of visual signs of minor wear and tear

Tyre wear, dirty under carriage, maybe a few scratches and very evident signs around the car.

But please do get it checked and ask them to prove what went wrong. 7k in 2 months in unrealistic, but NOT impossible
Old 21st January 2011, 20:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey vij congrats on the Figo- it's a great car! And don't worry about these things- they are minor glitches and while unfortunate, won't matter in the long run. Dealers tend to laugh off such things as unimportant and only true petrolheads feel the pain! Anyway, it seems your car is indeed a new one and this is just some strange technical anomaly, so put your mind at ease and enjoy the new baby!
Old 21st January 2011, 22:56   #15
BHPian

Trip meter is supposed to reset to zero every 2k km's or so. Check the manual, if the reset is at every 2k km, then certainly there is an electonic flaw. Which also means 7k is wrong and you can have some peace of mind! Enjoy the car, congrats and safe drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks