Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:30   #1
BHPian

Power Steering in Swift VXi dead

t-bhp gurus,

need your valuable inputs.

The power steering of my 2006 Swift VXi has suddenly died. The said vehicle has run about 25,000 kms.

I dont know how it has happened. I was out of town for a week and when I come back and try driving my car, it appears to have died. The car can be steered around, but still not as easily as a non-power steering either. Feels heavy, and i can just about go around a rectangular area.

I am giving it to the mech tomorrow, but I thought it would be wiser for me to understand the problem first.

My assumption is that the relay is faulty. But your suggestions are welcome. Would really appreciate any inputs.
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Power Steering in Swift Vxi dead.

Swift comes with EPS, so check the P/S Fuse/ Wiring/. Usually the culprit would be electrical. The chance of a Defective Motor though very minuscule cannot be ruled out.

On the instrument panel is the EPS light glowing even after the vehicle is started?
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:09   #3
BHPian

My 2005 SWIFT VXi had similar problem about an year back. I had to replace the EPS module, which costed me about 6K. I had intermittent problems even after replacement, which was rectified after complaining to MUL headquarters.

First let the dealer diagnose the problem, it could be just a gone fuse or rats menace, etc.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:36   #4
BHPian

Did someone at your place, take the car out for a high pressure water wash?
These days, its become a regular thing of EPS unit failing when high pressure water is sprayed into the engine bay.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Almost same woes

A couple of days ago I drove my friend's A-Star ZXi and found the steering very hard. He too cited the same and we thought that the oil might be low.

The mechanic said that EPS units do not have any oil and the steering is hard because the Car needs to go through alignment and balancing and the psi levels might be low.

Despite checking all stuff, I still feel the steering is heavy. Any help here?

(Not hijacking your thread bud, but I too went through the same dilemma)
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhun View Post
t-bhp gurus,

need your valuable inputs.

The power steering of my 2006 Swift VXi has suddenly died. The said vehicle has run about 25,000 kms.

I dont know how it has happened. I was out of town for a week and when I come back and try driving my car, it appears to have died. The car can be steered around, but still not as easily as a non-power steering either. Feels heavy, and i can just about go around a rectangular area.

I am giving it to the mech tomorrow, but I thought it would be wiser for me to understand the problem first.

My assumption is that the relay is faulty. But your suggestions are welcome. Would really appreciate any inputs.
If the PS is totally dead, it would mostly be due to damaged wiring or a blown component in the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A couple of days ago I drove my friend's A-Star ZXi and found the steering very hard. He too cited the same and we thought that the oil might be low.

The mechanic said that EPS units do not have any oil and the steering is hard because the Car needs to go through alignment and balancing and the psi levels might be low.

Despite checking all stuff, I still feel the steering is heavy. Any help here?

(Not hijacking your thread bud, but I too went through the same dilemma)
I doubt alignment/balancing and air pressure can make the steering that hard. You should get it checked from some other mechanic.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:51   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Rowhun,
check the powersteering fluid level first. It might be well below the marked level.
The Swift does not have any fluid for the PS. See the below post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Swift comes with EPS, so check the P/S Fuse/ Wiring/. Usually the culprit would be electrical. The chance of a Defective Motor though very minuscule cannot be ruled out. On the instrument panel is the EPS light glowing even after the vehicle is started?
BTW is the warranty / extended warranty still valid on your car?
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt alignment/balancing and air pressure can make the steering that hard. You should get it checked from some other mechanic.
The works guy has rightly mentioned to check for improper balancing, alignment & lower pressure since these do contribute to make the steering hard. Though it may not be the case.

Even a worn tyre can make the car's steering so hard, that one may be forced to have doubts with steering.
Old 22nd January 2011, 14:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Swift comes with EPS, so check the P/S Fuse/ Wiring/. Usually the culprit would be electrical. The chance of a Defective Motor though very minuscule cannot be ruled out.
On the instrument panel is the EPS light glowing even after the vehicle is started?

I am guessing its a blown fuse, or the relay is messed up. The mech will check for defective motor on monday and will let me know if i need to be burning a deeper hole in my pocket.
Nope, The EPS light doesnt glow. Is that good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Did someone at your place, take the car out for a high pressure water wash?
These days, its become a regular thing of EPS unit failing when high pressure water is sprayed into the engine bay.
Nah, no wash. except for regular cleaning with cloth and water, hood was never opened. Though I have heard of the water and engine bay stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
BTW is the warranty / extended warranty still valid on your car?
Nope man, no warranty.

And thank you everyone for the suggestions. Will update again as events warrant
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, The EPS light doesnt glow. Is that good or bad?
The EPS light is meant to glow if there is an electrical malfunction in the system.

I am not sure whether there is a wiring damage the light would glow or not. The EPS unit has a torque sensor (to sense the direction of steering wheel turn) and it takes vehicle speed sensor signal (at higher speeds it cuts off).
FAIL SAFE MODE: In the event of any electronic malfunction in the system ECU may go in to fail safe mode. For Eg The Engine Coolant sensor goes kaput, then the Radiator fan runs continuously( to prevent overheat).
The same could have happened in your case. But in that case the EPS lamp should glow. (Check whether it comes on when at on position).

The other possibility is EPS motor defect.

Rowhun, the EPS is absolutely maintenance free. But the catch is that if anything ever happens I dont think it is serviceable.

PS: All this is in assumption that you are not running a Flat tire in the first place
Old 24th January 2011, 01:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I suspect the EPS Module. Will cost you somewhere around ~ 5.5k.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:25   #12
BHPian

Okay, so I took it to the friendly neighborhood mechanic. The EPS light does come on and it stays on. (my bad for not noticing earlier)
The mech says he has checked the fuses but they are okay. He has checked the electricals also (so he says) and they are also good. So he has suggested I take it to the dealership showroom as they are better equipped to deal with this.
Since its 26th Jan (Happy Republic Day everyone) i guess i'll take it to the showroom on the 27th. And will update once the showroom guys brief me.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Okay, so I took it to the friendly neighborhood mechanic. The EPS light does come on and it stays on. (my bad for not noticing earlier)
The mech says he has checked the fuses but they are okay. He has checked the electricals also (so he says) and they are also good. So he has suggested I take it to the dealership showroom as they are better equipped to deal with this.
Since its 26th Jan (Happy Republic Day everyone) i guess i'll take it to the showroom on the 27th. And will update once the showroom guys brief me.

Most likely something has blown up in the ECU sir. Get it checked at A.S.S. itself.

Also, check if the the malfunctioning ECU was a result of some other problem.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Think you would be relatively safe. As mentioned earlier the EPS lamp points towards an electrical problem. Fuse/sensor. Else if it was the Motor Assy, it would have cost you some serious money. (>30k).

Personally I wouldn't trust a local mechanic to touch the new gen electronics in the car. Oil Change and Brake cleaning is fine but Electronics is better left to Dealers. That said must agree that there are exceptions.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:06   #15
BHPian

One of my friends had the same problem recently, and he had to replace the whole assemble which cost him around 25k!

Do update the thread once you visit the showroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks