Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 23:28   #16

Re: Oil dripping on the Driver side of floor Mat

We seem to have got somewhere with the first problem (whistling noise) with most agreeing it could be with wheel bearing.

On the second one, when I stitch together what SDP + Randhawa + Vaseem have been saying, I've been using the heater off late, although not this month, I've had smoke coming in through the AC vents and according to them it is possible for the coolent to drip on the mat.

Your doubts made me look back at the last Bill on Friday and I see they have added "COOLANT (SB) NON AMINE - Quantity (1) costing RS207.05

Thanks
Blue
Old 24th January 2011, 23:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaquan View Post
Dear Friends
Answering Sprucegoose, yes the car has a Power steering, but the leak is extremely small, unlike the case you mentioned, I drove the car for more than an hour today morning and found only one drop on the paper.

Answering Vaseem,
a: No, the car is parked on level ground overnight
b: Yes, I made that dread mistake something ago, but that must be sometime during the peak winter months of Nov-Dec. Do not remember using in since Jan...

On why I dint take it today to Bimal, I had made a simple complaint to Maruth Suzuki on their Email mentioning my problem and I was surprised to learn they have forward it to Bimal and I had a Sr Manager from Bimal calling on me today requesting me for another inspection of the Car tomorrow.
I've agreed to take the Car around 9:30 tomorrow morning, will keep you all guys posed on his replies and action accordingly. Will also make a list of these things you've mentioned above and see if he has them in his checklist...

Thanks
Blue
All the best for the " inspection " tomorrow

the heater core/tube may be cracked/leaking - extremely difficult to identify. however ask them to inspect this.

what i meant by heater is that anything above halfway mark on the dial qualifies as heater usage - so the coolant

To check put a plastic sheet instead of paper so that it does not get absorbed and will be easier to identify as water / coolant / oil etc.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 24th January 2011, 23:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Coolant fumes are very harmful, better get it sorted ASAP. You really don't want to inhale the fumes, can cause headaches and nausea.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

Do you have a rubber mat, if so place it open without paper. Will help you identify the liquid better. Coolant is a possibility.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:22   #20

Dear Friends
I took the vehicle today morning and the Sr Works Mgr was waiting to talk to me, he personally came along for a test drive along with an Engineer, although the Oil leak was evident, the Car ditched me on the whistling noise. Just as a Non working Computer starts up flawlessly on the day the Engineer arrives, the Car too remained silent.

On one or two occasions, it was audible, but it dint remains continuously for him to hear it properly. Although he said he understood what the problem was, I do not think he was convinced. He said the possibility of Wheel bearing was bleak because, if it was the bearing, it would give a grinding noise which is not in this case.

On the Oil leak problem, I had taken a print out of the summarised version of all your inputs which he went through diligently and ruled out points C and D, but he agreed that there is a possiblity it could be A) or B).

--------------------
Whistling noise
A) If made only when Car is running - > Check Wheel bearings
B) Check the fan belt.
C) Check water pump or timing belt zones

Oil Dripping
A) The leak could be brake fluid, Brake master cylinder could be leaking its Oil into the servo and through it into the footwell.
You can remove the servo and check. Seal kits may need a replacement
B) It can be the Coolant. Coolant can leak inside because the heater core tube is inside and coolant runs through it.
Put a plastic sheet and check if the colour of the liquid is Green, if yes the coolant is the culprit.
C) Leak could be from the Power steering System as well. The fluid can leak onto the driver side of the floor mat.
D) Possibility of seal and inline grove at the end of speedometer could be worn out and Gear Oil can seep in from the Speedometer cable.
----------------

They have taken the Car, and I have not really pushed them for a time frame, I said take your time, I am not in a hurry. I will keep you posed when it get it back...

Thanks
Blue

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th January 2011 at 14:28. Reason: Removing : from bullet points so that it does not show as smilies. Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 14:29   #21
Team-BHP Support

Alto has EPS right? If so it will not have any leakage, since its just a motor that aids the assistance.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Blueaquan, Take a look in this thread of the same title but for an Indica http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...at-indica.html
Old 26th January 2011, 08:52   #23
BHPian

Hey faced the same issue in my 95 M800. It is surely the Brake Master Cylinder. Master Cylinder Oil Seal has gone kaput. MC kit is available but *** would replace the assy only.. For replacement It should cost within 3k(Alto) including Labour and Consumables.

Whining noise that starts at a certain speeds and increases is usually wheel bearing. If it is from the front, while driving when you hear the noise turn the wheel slightly L/R if the noise intensity changes noticably it should be the bearing. Also the best way to pick up bearing noise is to test drive near the curb .If not that noticeable in Test Drive, next time you visit MASS ask them to jack up the suspected wheel and Spin the wheel.

For the leak part. Both the Brake fluid and Coolant can damage painted surface that may lead to corrosion. Take care to clean the car interiors after rectifying the problem.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 26th January 2011 at 08:55.
Old 28th January 2011, 13:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Heater core jobs are a huge huge pain, time AND money wise.
I recently had the same problem.
I was ready to have it changed, but the waiting for ford to get it just kept going on and on.
Used a product called kseal.
Has to be ordered from ebay or such.
worked well so far, its been 3 weeks.

if youre losing coolant VERY slowly, implying a small hole or something, it will work.

I was losing about 1 litre every couple of weeks.

But keep this only as temporary solution, and get the core changed, if it is damaged.
That usually implies that it will pop somewhere else later.
any other info, PM me.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:20   #25

Dear Friends
The below given reply was written out to you on January 28th, however due to a Medical Emergency out of which my Mother has still not completely recovered, I couldn't come online or update you guys about the status...

----------------------------------
Dear Friends
This problem appears to be resolved at the moment, thank you all very much for helping me and for your valuable inputs. They found an issue with the "Heater Core Tube " like most of you suspected. I am glad the Bimal Works Mgr took the suggestions given by team members seriously, I also strongly believe that helped them identify the issue without much hassle.
I've attached a Picture of the faulty part which they replaced with stains of the Green coolant on one side. The part cost me close to 1800RS, but the labour cost was a bolt, the initial cost was close to 2500RS which they themselves took pity on me and reduced 1000RS from it and charged me a total bill of 3300RS.
The Whistling noise still remains though, today morning I went to the City station to pick up a relative at 5:30am, the sound was so very audiable, while I do agree that on the test run day, due to the relatively high level of noise outside, we must have heard it at least four times less audiable that what I heard today. I am sure the Works Mgr must have taken the problem to be with me, not the Car, because he certainly must have met a lot of fussy Customers, but I have no way to make it evident to him that this is a genuine problem, it is really frustrating to me!
I understood one more thing today, the sound is very audiable when passing through an underpass when the noise of other vehicles are cut off, with the Car travelling at about 55-60Kms, but I could hear it all through today because there were hardly any vehicles on the road. How on Earth, do I put that across to him is my dilema....
I am travelling out of town tomorrow morning and would be covering about 1200Km, I am not really worried about the whistling noise since it has been there for quite sometime now, but I will surely have some feedback on where we stand on the Oil leak issue when I am back on the 2nd Feb.
Although my problem stands resolved at the moment, there are two things I am curious to know at the moment. First : Why did that part fail in the first place, I remember Vaseem asking me if I had used the heater, the Service Engineer did too, which means the part probably failed because I used the heater option. Now of all these six years, it was the first time I used the heater and equipment could not withstand a first time use, what kind sub standard part is that...?
Second, although a little insignificant, the equipment I noticed is manufactured by Tata and name "Tata Toyo", it is intresting to know Tata makes parts for Maruthi Suzuki... ?
Anyway, thanks once again Guys for helping me getting this resolved... Its quite an insight about Automobiles that I've had through this conversation...

Blue
------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Oil dripping on the Driver side of floor Mat-coolanttube.jpg  

blueaquan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks