Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2006, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Need some advice.

Hi guys, wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year. I have a Ikon 1.3 Rocam which has done about 14K kms, the only additional add-on I have done so far is that I have a K&N OE replacement filter instead of the stock filter and alloy wheels. But the problem I have noticed recently is that whenever I up-shift gears from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th or even 4th-5th the engine rpm rises by about 100rpm and then after the gear change it normalizes. Could it be a problem due to the K&N filter or due to something else ?
Also as I actually dont want to alter my original engine specifications right now.. So if some body could advise me on what kind of performance upgrades in terms of acceleration and top-speed should I go in for ? And where in the NCR can I get this kind of help?
Thanks..

" Quality is never an accident, it is always result of intelligent efforts ".
Old 2nd January 2006, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a tacho where you are noticing this, or is it just a gut feeling? Also, what rpm are you shifting up at?
Old 2nd January 2006, 16:51   #3
BHPian

Yeah the Ikon comes with a factory fitted tacho from where I notice the change in RPM and I generally up-shift between 1000-2000rpm depending on the speed and the gear I am using..
Old 2nd January 2006, 16:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
whenever I up-shift gears from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th or even 4th-5th the engine rpm rises by about 100rpm and then after the gear change it normalizes. ".
hey, how are you able to notice a rise in rpm by 100, is it not a marginal rise to be noticed unless you have some instrument to measure or have a digital tachometer. could it be parallax error???
Old 2nd January 2006, 17:21   #5
BHPian

Hi tifosikrishna.. I can feel the rise in rpm while pressing the clutch for the gear change and I judge the differnce to a count of roughly a 100rpm by what I see in tacho meter provided in dashboard.. also I could not understand what you meant by a parallax error ?
Old 2nd January 2006, 22:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

if you need performance why did you go in for a 1.3 ikon,1.6 is a superb performer and if didnt want to shell out more money you could have bought a accent 1.5gle for similar amount of money.
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:34   #7
BHPian

anshuman..its not about what I should have bought and what I have bought..!! I am very much happy with my car and its current performance and I did drive around a Ikon 1.6 for abt 2 years, so this time I wanted a car more fuel efficient and somewhat similar to it but at the same time more agile than the accent 1.5Gle.. If you really can advise me about the RPM problem with my car, please do so..or else there is no point debating on the performance orientations of various models...
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
But the problem I have noticed recently is that whenever I up-shift gears from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th or even 4th-5th the engine rpm rises by about 100rpm and then after the gear change it normalizes.

" Quality is never an accident, it is always result of intelligent efforts ".
Some of the Honda engines do this intentionally. They are designed to keep the rpm up momentarily during up-shifts in order burn off excess fuel to reduce emission. Maybe Ford has a similar feature.
Old 4th January 2006, 01:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Clutch slippage is my guess. But, a slipping clutch will revv around 500-1000rpm before engaging gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks