Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 14:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Handbrake indicator permanently glowing. Would my brakes fail?

^^ IIRC, the fluid level does vary. No need to be tensed, till the fluid level reaches (not equal or below) near the min mark.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:20   #32
BANNED

A pad just 'floats' above the disc. So as the pad wears out it will move inwards, and the fluid level will drop (this is natural). However, a fast drop in the level indicates a leak, since the fluid is topped up at every service.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Errr... what is the connection between brake fluid and hand-brake? Isn't the hand brake a completely separate sub-system that acts directly on the rear brakes?

The sensor is usually (haven't seen an exception yet in the few cars that I have checked) linked to the hand-brake lever. The switch has a normally-closed contact, which is forced open when the handbrake lever is all the way down (HB not engaged). When one engages the HB by pulling the HB lever, this switch engages (closes) just after about 10% of the lever travel. This is sensed by the chassis electronics module (or directly at the dash display when there is no CE module) which switches on the HB-Engaged lamp.

If there is an intermediate short to ground in HB switch wiring, or the switch is jammed shut in the closed position (due to grease / oil and dust), it will show HB as engaged.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:42   #34
BHPian

SDP: Do you get a screetching sound while braking? If that is, then your pads are worn out and need replacement to be sure. Even other wise:

Please ask a mechanic to inspect the brake pads. From your initial post, the SA had advised about the RR drum and pads need replacement - so that could be the issue. He also told you about the warning sign as HB indicator starts glowing - predictions came true eh?

Regarding any leak - please inspect all your wheels, in case of any fluid leak, first chance you will see brake fluid leaking (if any) on your wheels - some oily stuff can be seen - then that should be fluid leak. I had faced a drum failure and fluid leak on my old car - Maruti Zen 2001 model real left side - and the replacement was a few 100 Rs to be precise. I didnt have to replace pads at that time, but pads will be around 600 INR. It shouldnt cost you much - so please go for the replacement option ASAP

If the above isnt the case, then look for some electrical fault with the HB switch.

Keep us posted

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 14th February 2011, 14:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errr... what is the connection between brake fluid and hand-brake? Isn't the hand brake a completely separate sub-system that acts directly on the rear brakes?

The sensor is usually (haven't seen an exception yet in the few cars that I have checked) linked to the hand-brake lever.
Correct!. but in the Alto, the warning light for low brake fluid, and HB engaged are the same, with 2 levels of brightness for the each of 'em.

The topic starter had misinterpreted the warning for low brake fluid with HB engaged. Hence the confusion.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:39   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Final Update:
Gave the car for repairs yesterday and there was a significant drop in the brake-fluid level from the last top-up (that was about 2 weeks back).
The mechanic isolated the problem to a rear wheel slave brake cylinder and replaced it with a genuine part. He inspected the brake pads as well and mentioned that they are in good shape.

Repair costs:
Slave cylinder ~ Rs 310
Brake fluid 0.5 L ~ Rs 125
Misc items ~ Rs 100
Labour charges ~ Rs 600

Total-> Rs 1100

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions.

Last edited by SDP : 20th February 2011 at 10:41.
Old 7th July 2018, 13:14   #37
SCH
BHPian

Parking/Brake Light remaining permanently ON on Honda City 2004 model

I have a Honda City 2004 model, The parking breaks light remains permanently ON on the dashboard. After getting it inspected the mechanic says it is due to shorting of the switch which comes as one piece with the break fluid bottle.

Can any one guide from where this switch can be procured as the authorised service center of Honda says that they have to do some jugaad by taking it from some accidental vehicle and fitting it in my Car.
Old 7th July 2018, 13:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Parking/Brake Light remaining permanently ON on Honda City 2004 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I have a Honda City 2004 model, The parking breaks light remains permanently ON on the dashboard. After getting it inspected the mechanic says it is due to shorting of the switch which comes as one piece with the break fluid bottle.
If they are sure it is only a wiring problem they can attempt to fix the short by checking & rewiring the switch in the master cylinder reservoir. It is generally attached to the cap or at the bottom of the reservoir near the 'Low' mark.

Quote:
Can any one guide from where this switch can be procured as the authorised service center of Honda says that they have to do some jugaad by taking it from some accidental vehicle and fitting it in my Car.
You can't buy the switch separately and will need to procure the master cylinder reservoir assembly. If the dealer is able to pull one out from a written off accident car you will save yourself some money. It's more sensible that way.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th July 2018 at 13:50.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 16:54   #39
SCH
BHPian

Re: Parking/Brake Light remaining permanently ON on Honda City 2004 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If they are sure it is only a wiring problem they can attempt to fix the short by checking & rewiring the switch in the master cylinder reservoir. It is generally attached to the cap or at the bottom of the reservoir near the 'Low' mark.
An electrician whom I showed says the switch can not be rewired and the only option is too get anew one, I called up a Honda workshop and they are saying to first send money and then only they would order this switch as normally this item is not available easily.

Does anybody know any shop in NCR region where it can be procured.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2018 at 20:18. Reason: Fixing quote tags.
Old 9th July 2018, 18:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Parking/Brake Light remaining permanently ON on Honda City 2004 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I called up a Honda workshop and they are saying to first send money and then only they would order this switch as normally this item is not available easily. Does anybody know any shop in NCR region where it can be procured.
I am from Pune so can't help with specific shop suggestions for NCR. Maybe some T-BHPians from NCR can help.

But any Honda dealer should be able to procure it for you. I'd highly recommend replacing this part as it warns you of issues with the brake system including worn out pads/shoes, low brake fluid and hand brake status.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:31   #41
SCH
BHPian

Re: Handbrake indicator permanently glowing

I took it to local garage where the mechanic is experienced, he immediately identified the problem as debris/dirt in the brake oil bottle holder might have stuck on to the float sensor attached to the switch.

The brake oil bottle was dis assembled, taken out , secondly the electric switch and the sensor was carefully pulled out, the bottle was cleaned and then the assembly was reassembled and refitted. Voila the indicator light disappeared from the dashboard.

I am not sure but he explained as the engine is started the float/sensor in the brake oil bottle acts as a magnetic and senses/pulls the brake oil fluid, in my case some dirt /debris had got stuck to the sensor, mis reading as brake oil level low, leading to the indicator light on the dashboard.

The problem is now resolved. Thanks for all the suggestions.
SCH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks