Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 23:12   #1
BHPian

Nanotechnology in future cars

Following links may be interesting for those who are interested in future technological innovations in automobiles. (I think a new section or a dedicated thread for technological innovations for automobiles may be ideal for similar posts)

BMW Goes Nano

Tata Nano Car » Blog Archive » New Projects Using Nanotechnology in BMW

Any guess about the smallest car that man has ever made? see below
Tata Nano Car » Blog Archive » real miniature - nano car —
Old 8th March 2011, 16:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Nanotechnology in future cars:Friction reduction in Engines

March issue of science daily has reported a new Nano polymer particles that, when added to automobile engine oils can reduce friction by 55% than the current friction additives. The research has done by Prof. Guojun Liu, Queens University. An industrial utilization of the technology can increase the engine efficiency considerably.
Nanotechnology used to prolong machine and engine life
Old 9th March 2011, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Re: Nanotechnology in future cars

check out Pureshield Range of Nanotechnology Products for their array of nanotech products for use in cars.The windshied coating is real good.saw a demo on a Beat with the sealent applied on it.The murky water just ran off the glass like little beads.The dealer quoted a price around 1K for it, can be applied ourselves, said it will last a year .It seems like a good VFM product though at first i thought they used the words 'nanotechnology' to just lure people.It was amazing to watch the demo vids on their site as well!

Pureshield Range of Nanotechnology Products
Old 9th March 2011, 20:44   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
The research has done by Prof. Guojun Liu, Queens University.
@vsk2009, never imagined that at TBHP will discuss science and technology with someone. Are you in research too? Actually I wanted to work with this guy (Liu) several years back, but something else had materialized that time.

As you know, several so called nano technology is actually used in our everyday cars.
For example, the toughened bumpers which has dispersed rubber that can be made from olefinic block copolymers. These polymers gets dispersed as nano/micro domains ina PP matrix. Eventually they help in absorbing energy when a impact occurs.

Then, almost all lubricants carry dispersants which can also classified as nano tech.

The application I really admire is the alternating multilayer polyester sunfilm that uses a photonic band gap concept to reflect off IR.

Self healing paints are actually possible, but way too expensive to impliment. So while at universities they are a good fashion to talk about, the market is not ready yet.

Finally "plastic" body parts like fenders or composite roof tops have nano fillers or dispersed nano domains of a second or third component. All these in current production for many vehicles.

And then there are posers, like a highly hydrophobic coating which when applied forms a "water repellent" surface coating.

Do post if you know any other applications. Always interested to learn!

Last edited by dot : 9th March 2011 at 20:45.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
The dealer quoted a price around 1K for it, can be applied ourselves, said it will last a year .It seems like a good VFM product though at first i thought they used the words 'nanotechnology' to just lure people.It was amazing to watch the demo vids on their site as well!
Looks interesting. But nothing is specified about the UV protection and VLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@vsk2009, never imagined that at TBHP will discuss science and technology with someone. Are you in research too? Actually I wanted to work with this guy (Liu) several years back, but something else had materialized that time.

As you know, several so called nano technology is actually used in our everyday cars.
For example, the toughened bumpers which has dispersed rubber that can be made from olefinic block copolymers. These polymers gets dispersed as nano/micro domains ina PP matrix. Eventually they help in absorbing energy when a impact occurs.

Then, almost all lubricants carry dispersants which can also classified as nano tech.

The application I really admire is the alternating multilayer polyester sun-film that uses a photonic band gap concept to reflect off IR.

Self healing paints are actually possible, but way too expensive to impliment. So while at universities they are a good fashion to talk about, the market is not ready yet.

Finally "plastic" body parts like fenders or composite roof tops have nano fillers or dispersed nano domains of a second or third component. All these in current production for many vehicles.

And then there are posers, like a highly hydrophobic coating which when applied forms a "water repellent" surface coating.

Do post if you know any other applications. Always interested to learn!
Thanks for new informations. As you said correctly, there are already many nano technology used in many cars. The Tata Nano has used it.(Sorry that I couldn't give the correct information.This I got from the slide of a seminar talk on Nano science) Even many companies may have the new technologies with them but at the current scenario the mass production may not be profitable. Here I found a interesting video of the application of Graphene(some of the applications can make the dash board more smarter). I got this link from my friend who is working on graphene.

Last edited by vsk2009 : 13th March 2011 at 14:57.
Old 20th March 2011, 22:25   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian

@vsk2009, awesome video. I don't know too much about graphene other than its chemical structure and superior percolation and electrical properties in a blend. Will try to find out more.

Last edited by dot : 20th March 2011 at 22:31.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The application I really admire is the alternating multilayer polyester sunfilm that uses a photonic band gap concept to reflect off IR.

Can you please elaborate a little more on these applications as to what exactly they are?
Old 27th March 2011, 01:05   #8
dot
Senior - BHPian

@ajman28, I will try to explain in simple terms.

On self healing paints.

Powder coated paint is actually a pigmented resin deposited on base coat of a metal/plastic part. People have devised nano carriers or nano spheres that can carry some more resin or catalyst. These "free" resin and catalyst sits inside the spheres lying dormant inside the coat. Once a scratch occurs, the surface of the scratch can release the dormant resin or catalyst which react and fill up the "gap". Usually a thermal stimulus is needed to complete the chemical reaction. This technology is one popular method that can be applied, but very expensive. Several articles are available on the net around this topic.

On multilayered polyester sunfilms.

This technology is not really nano, but can be included. Two polyester resins are coextruded through a die that creates an alternating multilayered film. The multilayered films bends back light of a certain frequencies. The refractive index and thickness of each layer determines which light frequency will be blocked or reflected back. Technically this is an example of a one dimensional photonic band gap. The materials can be tailored to reflect back visible or UV radiation. In that case the thickness of each alternating layer will be nearing the "nano" range. There are 2D and 3D photonic band gap materials, but their applications are in optics not automotive. Again googling the net gives lot of information around this topic.

Hope it helps!
Old 1st November 2011, 19:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
check out Pureshield Range of Nanotechnology Products for their array of nanotech products for use in cars.The windshied coating is real good.saw a demo on a Beat with the sealent applied on it.The murky water just ran off the glass like little beads.The dealer quoted a price around 1K for it, can be applied ourselves, said it will last a year .It seems like a good VFM product though at first i thought they used the words 'nanotechnology' to just lure people.It was amazing to watch the demo vids on their site as well!

Pureshield Range of Nanotechnology Products
Did you get this product? Is it available in all auto shops?
Old 5th November 2011, 22:32   #10
BHPian

Nope.I don't think it's available at accessory shops. Their website may have the info on dealers.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:36   #11
BHPian

Hi,

Wanted to check if anyone has tried the Car Glass Sealant from Pureshield Impex based out of Chennai (Pureshield Range of Nanotechnology Products)

I was catching up my reading and one of the periodicals had the advt. I sms'd them and got a response back from one of their people.

They do not have a dealer in Blr but are willing to ship it. Their MRP for front windshield is Rs 899/- Evidently these are tissues that need to be rubbed with the vehicle parked under some shade and then needs to be kept for 4-6 hours before taking the vehicle out.

Before ordering wanted to know if there were any users of this?

Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 10:19   #12
BHPian

Audi A9 – Hybrid Car Able to Repair Itself Using Nanotech Material

Nanotechnology in future cars-audia9_7.jpg

source
http://auto.infoniac.com/2010/05/aud...tech-material/
Old 16th April 2012, 19:29   #13
BHPian

Hi,

I got the 'nano' coating done on the front windshield through Windshield Experts. This is a third party product that is marketed by WE.

The person came home and cleaned the windshield thoroughly and then applied 2 coats of some other liquid. Did a good job.

This application makes the windscreen cleaning easier in case of bird droppings, mosquito hits while traveling on the highway, driving in the rain etc. Post the application, only water needs to be used to clean the windshield for its effective period which is claimed to be about an year (!)

The last couple of days there is certainly less dust settling on the windshield. I should be going to Pune tonight so easily does the windscreen clean with the mosquito hits. I dont expect rain on the way so will not be able to test that out!!

Cost was about Rs 1000/- for the front windscreen.
Old 30th September 2013, 21:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Found this video on Youtube. Anybody tried this product recently? Any well established brands selling the product?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks