Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 18:17   #16
BANNED

Re: Request Suggestions for my '87 Maruti Suzuki Van (Omni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi guys,
the work finally started,yesterday i had all the four tyres changed along with brand new rims,got them balanced.We drove her to the garage where a complete brake overhaul was done.

List of parts changed:

1)Adjusters for brakes both left and right.
2)Water pump assembly 24years old.(the old one was jammed and was making noise)
3)Timing belt again 24 years old. (the belt has suzuki pro grip written all over it,the belt hasnt cracked but has becum little loose hence replaced it)
4)Couple of gaskets.
5)Changed the point.I have a couple of toyota imported points and use them only as once changed they run awesum for years unlike denso or pmp.

In all i spent 1900 for parts and 500 for labour.

Iam stuck however with one problem...The carburettors secondary pump seems not to be spraying,its suppose to spray finely however in my case it just drips,this is a orignal mikuni carb and i do not want to change it to solex.

Any idea how to rectify this,my mech tried this but to no results it either sprays a mist or just drips...i would be glad if neone could help me sort this or help me find a mikuni carb in working condition from mumbai or any where else..
I agree, Indian Solex carbs dont give a good performance on the Van, i've seen, the Van usually runs rough. But Mikuni is really a nice carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The diaphragm that does the pumping for the acceleration pump has lost its elasticity - change to a new diaphragm. Get someone to dismantle the carb and service it, washing out all the channels with NC paint thinner or xylene. Fitting back everything is tricky, so get someone competent to do it for you. No need to get a new carb, this one will run for many more years.

Original Pumping diaphgram for the old mikuni carbs are not available in the market as on date.

Rest, i've replied to your PM.

Enjoy your Suzuki.........
Old 14th October 2020, 14:00   #17

Suggestions requested on my Omni Suzuki van 1992 edition.

Greetings

Hi fellow BHP-ians. I hope the pandemic has not affected you all greatly and everyone is in good health and spirits!

I need some expert view on this. The first car that was bought by my father was a Suzuki Omni Van in the year 1992. She was a blue colored van and back in those days it was a matter of pride. I have spent my entire childhood travelling with her. She was like a part of the family.

Now I kept travelling to different parts of the country for my studies and had bought another car and my father didn't have much requirement of car travelling back home. We had a driver but unfortunately he lost all the papers which he said was stolen and it has not been renewed since 2014. Luckily i got hold of the last insurance papers done in 2014.

I came home due to the lockdown and the poor thing is lying there in the garage neatly tucked in, not a scratch. We called Maruti road side assistance once to check the condition of the vehicle and they said all wirings and everything is intact and engine is fine.

Since all car registration papers needs to be updated as per the new MV act, we are scared to take her out or send to the garage..

You might understand I have a lot of emotional value attached to the car and it is difficult for me to sell it off at the rate of scrap metal although she might be perfectly working with some restoration work on her.

I was wondering if you may suggest me some way of upgrading the car engine or likewise as per the current rules and also the papers. Is it possible? How much can be the penalty for tax lapse for 6 years considering she was not used at all!

I hope you might understand my feelings for her.

Shall wait for all your kind suggestions.

Stay safe.
Old 14th October 2020, 18:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions requested on my Omni Suzuki van 1992 edition.

I do not know about the paperwork but Maruti's own service centers have the ability to bring the car back to full glory. Most FNGs can do this easily as well. Spare parts are no problem at all - the Omni is ubiquitous in India.

Also, if the engine is fine, why do you want to upgrade it?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_anirbanghosh View Post
Greetings

We had a driver but unfortunately he lost all the papers which he said was stolen and it has not been renewed since 2014. Luckily i got hold of the last insurance papers done in 2014.

Stay safe.
If I were in your shoes, I would approach the RTO, explain the situation and do what he/she suggests .

I myself have a 1996 German Red Maruti 800, in which drove me to my 10th & 12th Standard exams, my college days and it's my daily driver as of today . The car is maintained in mint condition and it still clears the pollution norms and RTO fitness tests with ease . So I understand when you say you have emotional values attached to your vehicle .

I don't want to discourage you, but you do have a very uphill task in front of you and you should be ready to pay a hefty fine ( monetary wise ) .

SB
SB08121980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I do not know about the paperwork but Maruti's own service centers have the ability to bring the car back to full glory. Most FNGs can do this easily as well. Spare parts are no problem at all - the Omni is ubiquitous in India.

Sir, I am not very knowledgeable about car mechanics, although I love driving! Am a doctor.

But i was wondering if I need to make it Bharat IV compliant to get the re registration done.
Old 14th October 2020, 22:23   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But i was wondering if I need to make it Bharat IV compliant to get the re registration done.
You don't have to make your car BS IV or VI compliant - that will need engine replacement and host of other parts as well and may not even be possible with the Omni! As long as the car passes a pollution check and you can obtain a PUC document you will be good to go.

But before that you will first need to sort out the paperwork at RTO, then proceed with PUC and then back to RTO for the fitness certificate (fitness certificate will need renewal every 5 years).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 21:02   #22

Quote:
Greetings

Hi fellow BHP-ians. I hope the pandemic has not affected you all greatly and everyone is in good health and spirits!

I need some expert view on this. The first car that was bought by my father was a Suzuki Omni Van in the year 1992. She was a blue colored van and back in those days it was a matter of pride. I have spent my entire childhood travelling with her. She was like a part of the family.

Now I kept travelling to different parts of the country for my studies and had bought another car and my father didn't have much requirement of car travelling back home. We had a driver but unfortunately he lost all the papers which he said was stolen and it has not been renewed since 2014. Luckily i got hold of the last insurance papers done in 2014.

I came home due to the lockdown and the poor thing is lying there in the garage neatly tucked in, not a scratch. We called Maruti road side assistance once to check the condition of the vehicle and they said all wirings and everything is intact and engine is fine.

Since all car registration papers needs to be updated as per the new MV act, we are scared to take her out or send to the garage..

You might understand I have a lot of emotional value attached to the car and it is difficult for me to sell it off at the rate of scrap metal although she might be perfectly working with some restoration work on her.

I was wondering if you may suggest me some way of upgrading the car engine or likewise as per the current rules and also the papers. Is it possible? How much can be the penalty for tax lapse for 6 years considering she was not used at all!

I hope you might understand my feelings for her.

Shall wait for all your kind suggestions.

Stay safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB08121980 View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would approach the RTO, explain the situation and do what he/she suggests .

I myself have a 1996 German Red Maruti 800, in which drove me to my 10th & 12th Standard exams, my college days and it's my daily driver as of today . The car is maintained in mint condition and it still clears the pollution norms and RTO fitness tests with ease . So I understand when you say you have emotional values attached to your vehicle .

I don't want to discourage you, but you do have a very uphill task in front of you and you should be ready to pay a hefty fine ( monetary wise ) .

SB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You don't have to make your car BS IV or VI compliant - that will need engine replacement and host of other parts as well and may not even be possible with the Omni! As long as the car passes a pollution check and you can obtain a PUC document you will be good to go.

But before that you will first need to sort out the paperwork at RTO, then proceed with PUC and then back to RTO for the fitness certificate (fitness certificate will need renewal every 5 years).

To my esteemed BHPians,

Can someone please guide me on how much the fine for getting a fitness certificate and re-registration at any RTO might cost me considering the fact that it expired in 2014.

Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
To my esteemed BHPians,

Can someone please guide me on how much the fine for getting a fitness certificate and re-registration at any RTO might cost me considering the fact that it expired in 2014.

Thanks
I heard from an agent ( Dalal ), at Barasat RTO, that the fine is going to be calculated on the number of days the vehicle has been without registration . Now if he is correct, the amount of the fine is going to exceed the value of the vehicle .

Also, would it be possible to re-register a 87 vehicle in this BS6 era ? That's a question, I believe only the RTO can answer .

SB
Old 20th January 2021, 16:47   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I'm not sure about the penalty, I've heard of amounts ranging from Rs. 500/month to Rs. 50/day calculated right from the time the registration expired to the present day. If you're willing to shell out the money, re-registration is not at all complicated. Do keep in mind that since re-registration is valid only for 5 years, you'll have to renew the registration twice (from 2014 to 2019 then 2019 to 2024). Would suggest you visit the concerned RTO (looking at your location I think that would be Barrackpore), and find out from the officials.

Quote:
Also, would it be possible to re-register a 87 vehicle in this BS6 era ? That's a question, I believe only the RTO can answer.
Very much possible. The BS6 norms only apply to new registrations, not renewals.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 11:12   #25

Quote:
I heard from an agent ( Dalal ), at Barasat RTO, that the fine is going to be calculated on the number of days the vehicle has been without registration . Now if he is correct, the amount of the fine is going to exceed the value of the vehicle .

Also, would it be possible to re-register a 87 vehicle in this BS6 era ? That's a question, I believe only the RTO can answer .

SB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I'm not sure about the penalty, I've heard of amounts ranging from Rs. 500/month to Rs. 50/day calculated right from the time the registration expired to the present day. If you're willing to shell out the money, re-registration is not at all complicated. Do keep in mind that since re-registration is valid only for 5 years, you'll have to renew the registration twice (from 2014 to 2019 then 2019 to 2024). Would suggest you visit the concerned RTO (looking at your location I think that would be Barrackpore), and find out from the officials.

Very much possible. The BS6 norms only apply to new registrations, not renewals.
Thanks for all your kind advices, sirs.

Its not a 87 model sir, its a 1993 version although I doubt if there was hardly any difference in those days!

I had a different post but the moderators had chosen to merge it with someone else's similar query if you may note!

But im still not sure about the penalty amount, sir. Would be glad if someone may help me on that.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks