Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 02:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Re you sure it was an EVo? I cant remember...was so long ago. Because i believed Tsk when he said that with the hand-brake the rear wheels must have been locked and the reverse would have been engaged? But this theory wouldn't apply to the Evo 'cos its 4wd.
I am pretty sure that it is the Evo. Tyrese Gibson who is the black guy drives the Eclipse and I remember he shouts out something like "crazy white boy" when he sees Paul Walker perform this stunt.

But I have no idea about how this stunt was performed. My guess was that it was filmed as bits of scenes with one scene of the car going straight and making a 180 degree turn and the next of the car driving in reverse. It will be interesting to hear some theories about how this can be done in one shot.

I am not sure I understand your reasoning about the rear wheels locking in the Eclipse and not in Evo because it has all-wheel drive. Having all-wheel drive does not prevent the wheel from locking.
Old 12th January 2006, 02:52   #17
BHPian

Deeps, I also wanted to add that I did not understand your reasoning about the Eclipse's rear wheels locking when the hand brakes are engaged and the Evo's will not lock because it is an all-wheel drive car. All-wheel drive does not prevent the wheel from locking. The all-wheel drive scheme is a way to improve traction by cleverly distributing amount of power going to each wheel so as to prevent wheel "slip". It has nothing to do with wheel locking. A wheel is said to be slipping if it is spinning so fast that it loses friction with the road. On the other hand, a wheel is said to be locked if on applying the brake, it stops spinning.
Old 12th January 2006, 03:14   #18
BHPian

Oh crap! I created multiple duplicate messages above. Sorry about that. For some reason, the message editor did not submit the message when I first entered it. So I had to create a new message and re-submit.
Old 12th January 2006, 17:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

tsxei, i was refferign to Tsk's earlier post. I think this is what he was saying. Since reverse is not synchromesh, it cant be engaged if the drive wheels (the rear ones in the Eclipse) are in motion. So if you pull the hand brake, the rear wheels would lock and stop spinning. Hence, you'd be able to engage reverse...while the car is still moving. And my doubt was that as the Evo is awd, not all the drive wheels (i.e the front 2) would not lock up despite pulling on the handbrake. Therefoire, the technique used on the Eclipse would not apply to the Evo.
Old 12th January 2006, 17:23   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei
But I have no idea about how this stunt was performed. My guess was that it was filmed as bits of scenes with one scene of the car going straight and making a 180 degree turn and the next of the car driving in reverse. It will be interesting to hear some theories about how this can be done in one shot.
I think we should stop analysing movie stunts because not all of them are genuine.

Can you imagine trying to analyse Rajanikanth stunts?
Old 12th January 2006, 22:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
tsxei, i was refferign to Tsk's earlier post. I think this is what he was saying. Since reverse is not synchromesh, it cant be engaged if the drive wheels (the rear ones in the Eclipse) are in motion. So if you pull the hand brake, the rear wheels would lock and stop spinning. Hence, you'd be able to engage reverse...while the car is still moving. And my doubt was that as the Evo is awd, not all the drive wheels (i.e the front 2) would not lock up despite pulling on the handbrake. Therefoire, the technique used on the Eclipse would not apply to the Evo.
I understand that engaging reverse gear when the drive wheels are in motion is difficult. My contention was that when the hand brake is applied, all 4 wheels would try to lock and stop spinning irrespective of the wheel being driven or not. If you can manage to get the wheels to lock, the situation will be similar for both the Eclipse which is FWD and the Evo which is AWD.
Old 12th January 2006, 22:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I think we should stop analysing movie stunts because not all of them are genuine.

Rajinikanth stunts...
Old 12th January 2006, 23:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei
I understand that engaging reverse gear when the drive wheels are in motion is difficult. My contention was that when the hand brake is applied, all 4 wheels would try to lock and stop spinning irrespective of the wheel being driven or not. If you can manage to get the wheels to lock, the situation will be similar for both the Eclipse which is FWD and the Evo which is AWD.
Right, i see what you are saying. But as far as i know, the hand brake only locks the rear wheels. And i doubt the stunt would have been possible if the hand brake was modified to lock all 4 wheels.
Old 12th January 2006, 23:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Right, i see what you are saying. But as far as i know, the hand brake only locks the rear wheels. And i doubt the stunt would have been possible if the hand brake was modified to lock all 4 wheels.

I see. I did not know that the hand brake only applies to the rear wheels. Thanks.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Reverse Gear

Sorry to bump up an old thread. But I am really curious to understand this better. There have been many varied opinions on the forum on this:

What happens/Is it possible to engage reverse gear by mistake while driving forward?

Now you may say that who in there right mind would do such a thing? Well I hope no one does it. But why I ask this question is because its been puzzling me off late and I almost did it once owing to different number of gears in my cars. The Altis has got 6 forward gears whereas the Sunny has 5 and reverse in the place of the 6th gear of the Altis. Now I am used to driving the Altis and frequently engage the 6th gear specially on highways. Last time I took out the Sunny and at a point was about to shift into 6th from 5th when I realised the gravity of my mistake. From there onwards it took me actual effort to keep reminding myself of the fact that the Sunny hasn't got 6 gears.

So Is it possible to engage the reverse while in forward motion? If yes would it just lead to some of that cranking noise that has been described in the thread and lead to an engine shut down or would it cause severe damage to the whole gear assembly?
Old 10th August 2012, 10:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its not possible to engage fully the reverse gear from 5th while driving in 5th gear. YOu fould feel massive resistance in the gear-lever and grinding noise - and most probably you would notice your mistake and not force the lever any further.

This act would cause some damage if done frequently but you could get away if its only done rarely.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry to bump up an old thread. But I am really curious to understand this better. There have been many varied opinions on the forum on this:

What happens/Is it possible to engage reverse gear by mistake while driving forward?

Now you may say that who in there right mind would do such a thing? Well I hope no one does it. But why I ask this question is because its been puzzling me off late and I almost did it once owing to different number of gears in my cars. The Altis has got 6 forward gears whereas the Sunny has 5 and reverse in the place of the 6th gear of the Altis. Now I am used to driving the Altis and frequently engage the 6th gear specially on highways. Last time I took out the Sunny and at a point was about to shift into 6th from 5th when I realised the gravity of my mistake. From there onwards it took me actual effort to keep reminding myself of the fact that the Sunny hasn't got 6 gears.

So Is it possible to engage the reverse while in forward motion? If yes would it just lead to some of that cranking noise that has been described in the thread and lead to an engine shut down or would it cause severe damage to the whole gear assembly?
Mohit,

All the vehicles, which have reverse gear right below the fifth or top gear have mechanism built in the gearbox which prevents the gear lever from moving further down beyond the neutral position as you try to pull it from top gear position.
So it will never let you slot into reverse directly the way you slot in from third to fourth in a straight line motion.
This lock is disabled only when you allow the gear lever to move along the neutral position laterally.
So if you allow that to happen after you come out of top gear, then only you have a chance to attempt to slot the lever into reverse.
But then again, the reverse gear train is not synchro-mesh. The meshing is by virtue of direct movement of meshing gears and at such a high speed, it is not possible for both the meshing gears to achieve a position, while rotating, that their teeth will mesh.
It will make a grinding noise as the teeth hit against each other and the gear lever will vibrate laterally due to the teeth hitting.
It is however possible to engage the reverse while moving forward, at speeds of order 5-10 kmph, a situation normally encountered while parking the vehicle. But then, you slot it from first to reverse and vice-verse in that case.

Yogiraj.
yogiraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 15:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Its not possible to engage fully the reverse gear from 5th while driving in 5th gear. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Folks,

Is it recommended that when a car moves from standstill position, it should move forward (using 1st gear) than reverse (using reverse gear)? This is with regards to moving a car that has been stationery for a considerable duration like 2 hours or more (in the sense that the engine and the transmission has cooled down).

Is reverse gear to be avoided in such circumstances? This also means, precaution to be taken while parking the car, so that you can move it in the required direction later on.

Thanks,
C_
Old 1st December 2015, 18:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Folks,

Is it recommended that when a car moves from standstill position, it should move forward (using 1st gear) than reverse (using reverse gear)? This is with regards to moving a car that has been stationery for a considerable duration like 2 hours or more (in the sense that the engine and the transmission has cooled down).

Is reverse gear to be avoided in such circumstances? This also means, precaution to be taken while parking the car, so that you can move it in the required direction later on.

Thanks,
C_
It is not necessary to move the car only in forward after it has been standstill for a while. Whether we engage the forward gear or the reverse, the engine rotates in the same direction. There is no compromise with the performance of the engine.

My house is in the last building in the lane and everytime I start with reverse gear. No problem.

The suggestion for moving only forward (and not reverse) when you start the journey may have come out of some superstition.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

In the MID 1990's I had purchased my first car a Tata Estate, and my dad had a Contessa. For the Estate first was to Left pull back, and fifth was Right pull back, while Contessa had fifth as Right push ahead, and Reverse as Right pull back. Once or twice while driving the Contessa on open roads, I had absently mindedly tried to up-shift from 5th and then aborted the attemt as soon as the gear scraping sound was heard.
One thing for sure that the Contessa served my dad well for 15 Years from 1999 to 2004, with a change to Diesel sometime in 2006, the OE Petrol had lasted 7 Yrs and over 3 Lakh km when the timing belt idler had failed, and the Valves had hit the piston had broken the Aluminium rocker arms.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks