Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 01:50   #1
BHPian

How to remove stuck gear knob from an M800

My 12yr old 800's gear knob is very worn out and its small to hold.

I got a nice meaty gearknob from a friend (rejected prototype of an as yet unreleased vehicle ). I want to fit it but am unable to remove my old knob. It refuses to leave its resting place for more than a decade.

How can i remove the knob without breaking it, as i am not sure if the new one will fit, and if it doesnt i have to go back to the old knob. Tried twisting with all my might but it did not budge. Is it safe to get a bodybuilder friend of mine to try his strength on it? will the applied torque affect the gear box in any way?

Please help. I really love the design of the new knob even though it shows a non exixtent 5th gear.

Last edited by Joe-Ker : 9th March 2011 at 02:06.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:58   #2
BHPian

Re: How to remove thr gear knob from an M800

How about applying some kerosene/petrol at the edge of gear knob? Ya, the kerosene will go down the rod, but a small quantity should be sucked in by the knob due to capillarity. Or wind a cotton thread around the bottom of the know and put a few drops of kerosene on the thread. Kerosene being very thin, the knob should suck some kerosene and loose its grip on the rod a bit.

I think any more pressure than what you have applied may damage the knob.
Old 9th March 2011, 02:05   #3
BHPian

Re: How to remove thr gear knob from an M800

Joe-Ker - have you tried using WD-40? If that doesn't work, I think it's safe to ask your friend. Shouldn't break. And no, twisting the gear knob will not affect the gear box.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:13   #4
BHPian

Re: How to remove stuck gear knob from an M800

Ask your bodybuilder friends and if even they fail, head over to any roadside mechanic and they will be open it as they know lots of jugaad to open any jammed things in car. If you have one of those big adjustable wrench (used by plumbers mostly yo open GI pipe joints etc.) wrap cloth around knob so that it don't get damaged by teeth of wrench then use it to open.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try the kerosene idea first as its the easiest. Lets see what it does.

My friend is the last option as i dont want him wrenching the lever off.

Roadside mechanics wil get it done i am sure but they have no regard for scratches in the trim or any other components. I cringe every time they handle the car or parts roughly. *** guys baby the car(at least in front of you) but they are not half as knowledgeable.

Last edited by Joe-Ker : 9th March 2011 at 12:11.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Give it the "hot and cold" treatment.

Get an hair dryer; blow it on the gear knob. The knob will expand, without breaking.

Find a small block of ice, hold it on the metal part of the gear lever. The metal will shrink due to cold. (this should start first - the cold needs to reach the area under the knob).

Now do the twisting and turning.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:59   #7
BHPian

I have successfully removed the gear kno using the kerosene treatment. Now the gear height has increased by around 4cm and the new knob is way heavier. It makes the shifting effort required delightfully minimal but the throw and vagueness of the gearshift increased. now the gear is nearer to the steering and falls to hand easily.

am lovin it!
My M800 now has markings for 6 forward gears
Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Old 13th March 2011, 21:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
How about some pics of the gear knob.
Old 14th March 2011, 02:18   #9
BHPian

I do not know if that would be approppriate as the knob is a prototype for a premium HCV. I wouldnt want their designs to go out.

All of you guys have given good suggestions and I really want to post pics but that would be being disloyal to my friend. Once released maybe i can post some snaps.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok, that is a promise, then?
Old 29th March 2011, 21:48   #11
BHPian

promise.
now thinking of adding boric acid in the gearbox too to smoothen the shifts and to reduce the impact of the longer lever on components

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks