Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Smoke from radiator fan

There was a sudden issue that cropped up in my car. There was smoke around the area where radiator fan is installed. The Kropex helpline guy showed that part of the radiator fan has melted. Really shocked to hear something like this for a fairly new car (3500 km and 6 months old). For the records, I haven't driven it for three days and not bumped it against anything in the near past. The car was towed at 4:00 pm so don't think service center guys will look at it today.

Any idea what could have happened and how it can be prevented? A little history of the incident is given below. Not sure if this will be covered under manufacturer warranty and what effect it can have on the engine.

Its an Aveo (only 6 months old and I don't have the 3 yr assurance plan) and I noticed today that the AC was working properly. As I haven't used the car for the last 3 days initially thought it may be due to heat outside. After 4-5 KMs AC started giving cool air and so we were more assured but only for a moment as it went down again. AC fan was working but air was not cool. I switched on the outside air mode and could smell something, initially thought it may be something outside but the smell kept on coming. As the car is fairly new, didn't think it could have a problem.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Seems like an electrical problem. May be some rats happily chewed on the electricals and caused some kind of short circuiting. Or the fan motor might have burnt off.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Looks like the head gasket failed, This could have happened because of a coolant leak which lead to overheating of the engine and radiator. Are you Positive that the fan melted? Did you see the melted fan or did the SA tell you this ?
Keep track of your car if needed go there personally and check with the SA as to what exactly went wrong.

If the car is only 6 months old then you need not worry too much. All repairs and replacement of parts will be covered under warranty. If they try and bill you for anything then raise a complaint.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:13   #4
BHPian

Hi markmytravel,

This is indeed surprising. And this should most definitely be covered under warranty. For a car which is 6 months old, this is unacceptable. Not havind driven the car for three days is not the issue.
A quality defect with the radiator fan, IMO.
Please do keep us updated.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 18:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Actually not very surprising, blown/burnt fan units are not new. I had the same issue in my swift withing months of purchase. Got it replaced under warranty, the complete assembly.

Rule out any wire shorting also, rats are menace these days.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:19   #6
BHPian

Thanks folks for those reassuring words. Though warranty coverage is a concern, I am more worried if this could cause any further damage. I am fairly confident that I drove not more than 8 km under this condition.
SA did show me the melted part (should have clicked a snap) but planning to visit the service center tomorrow afternoon. The service center guys told me they will start analysing only tomorrow, so hoping I will be in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Actually not very surprising, blown/burnt fan units are not new. I had the same issue in my swift withing months of purchase. Got it replaced under warranty, the complete assembly.

Rule out any wire shorting also, rats are menace these days.
So if it's rats, I am guessing it won't be covered. Am I being pessimistic?

If it's a fan problem, should I fight with them to install the complete unit or just the damaged part repair or replacement will be covered?

If it's a wiring issue, is there anything else they should be checking? I am nearing my first service (another 1000 km) so thinking with this issue, should I ask them to do it now along with complete checkup.

I do feel they will try to avoid doing the complete replacement as they tried to enthrust the towing charges (2000 INR) on me but when I raised my voice, they agreed to reimburse the amount on delivery (waiting to see if they stick to their words) but asked me to pay at that moment.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2011 at 14:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 18th March 2011, 00:16   #7
BHPian

This had happened in my Ikon in 2009 the exact same thing that you have described, The A/c was cooling and all of a sudden it stopped throwing cool air and i could see smoke coming out from under the bonnet with the temp needle rising, Pulled over and popped the hood and could see that the Fan Motor had gone Kaput with a liitle plastic also burning away. Since my car was out of warranty i had to get The Fan motor replaced at my expense

In your case it has to be free of cost as its just 6 months old, its not that big an issue.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

GM is talking hoot about their no frills 3 year cashless maintainance. You should exercise that right

Cheers
Old 18th March 2011, 02:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
GM is talking hoot about their no frills 3 year cashless maintainance. You should exercise that right

Cheers
Unfortunately I didn't take that policy. Was too excited about the car while buying and the Sales representative didn't mention it much to make it interesting. Hoping manufacturers warranty will come good here.
Old 18th March 2011, 03:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Unfortunately I didn't take that policy. Was too excited about the car while buying and the Sales representative didn't mention it much to make it interesting. Hoping manufacturers warranty will come good here.
150% manufacturer's warranty will come into place. Don't worry, Everything will be FOC unless of course it is a rat issue then matters could become a bit complicated.
Old 18th March 2011, 21:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
I think it was standard. I specifically remembered when test drove the hell out of one of their spark.
Old 18th March 2011, 21:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I think it was standard. I specifically remembered when test drove the hell out of one of their spark.
Its standard on the Spark and UV-A.

The issue should be covered under warranty. Just ensure that you are present when they begin the diagnosis.

And if its rats then, i doubt it being covered under warranty.
Old 18th March 2011, 21:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that. So, keep us updated about the progress. Waiting to know the culprit.

Hope its covered in warranty. Keep following with the SA closely.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:11   #14
BHPian

Went to Service center today. They need to replace the fan but were out of stock and hoping to get one by tomorrow.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:50   #15
BHPian

Took delivery of the vehicle. They replaced the fan as it was broken and the car and AC are running smooth now. There was no apparant reason why it could have happened. No mice or electrical problem could be detected. SA said, it could be some pebble hitting the fan rim because of which it was touching part of the blades. Will monitor the vehicle for some days now to see if everything is done properly.

The good part is it was all covered and total bill amounted to Rs. 0 and the better part, they refunded the towing charge of Rs. 2000 as well as promised without me asking them. Well done Kropex India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks