Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon - Fuel Pump problem

Hey Guys...

I was driving today and suddenly my car stalled. The engine was cranking and all but was just not starting. I pulled the pipe which goes to the engine from the fuel pump to check if there was any problem with the fuel flow and noticed that there was no fuel coming out of it. I had filled in 20 litres just a day before so knew that I was not out of fuel or something. Anyway, luckily got a mechanic nearby and he knocked the fuel tank from below a couple of times and asked me to try to start the engine simultaneously. After a few attempts, the engine started. Now he says that there is an issue with the fuel pump and that needs to be replaced. Is that true? If yes, any idea how much one costs for an Ikon?

Thanks,
Old 12th January 2006, 20:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

U didnt mention if its a diesel or a petrol engine!
Old 12th January 2006, 20:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
U didnt mention if its a diesel or a petrol engine!
1.6 ZXi 2000 Model - Petrol
Old 12th January 2006, 23:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Looks lke it is a ford thing, Mondeo's are known for blowing fuel pumps
Old 13th January 2006, 21:03   #5
BHPian

Now the car doesn't start at all....I'll have to tow it to the service station to get a new one fitted...:(
Old 9th September 2008, 17:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon Fuel Tank

The Ford Ikon comes with a fibre fuel tank?

And if there is a leak, can it be fixed?

If no, any idea how much will it cost.

Its a 1.8D model.
Old 9th September 2008, 19:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Would recommend you NOT to repair it, though it can be done by competent fiber glass guys. Its not worth the risk at the end of the day.
Old 14th September 2008, 22:45   #8
BHPian

Should be around 7 - 8 K for 1.6 petrol. I was due to get mine changed but am putting it off.
OT, a jugadu mechanic told me that a Contessa fuel pump can be fitted as a replacement - it can be placed in the engine bay and approx cost would be 500 + labour. My Dad`s esteem is running on the same jugad for 2 years now without any problem.
Old 1st October 2008, 02:10   #9
BHPian

Hiiiii....Ditto same problem with my 1.6. Infact ford gave me car three times after checkup and when I got exausted of their cheating (not doing anything to abt their problem) I did all the research. Luckily I found a really helpful mechanic at ford service centre only, who adviced Pressure cleaning of Fuel Pump (charged Rs.960). Now my car is just perfect although mechanic has told that now if the car stops I would be required to change the pump (Rs. 8250). This happens because Ikon 1.6 is famous for accumulating rust and petrol dirt (as told by supervisor). Also advised is use of Power petrol that normal.

Hope info helps. I wish to help you out because if you have seen my other posts about my car, I have suffered a lot because of this stupid fuel pump issue, took out all the josh from my machine.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 09:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Should be around 7 - 8 K for 1.6 petrol. I was due to get mine changed but am putting it off.
OT, a jugadu mechanic told me that a Contessa fuel pump can be fitted as a replacement - it can be placed in the engine bay and approx cost would be 500 + labour. My Dad`s esteem is running on the same jugad for 2 years now without any problem.
For an esteem its ok but for a Ford to do something like this might trigger off something else and then you'll spend through your nose to get it fixed again.

Iam still wondering howcome my ikons fuel pump is still working. Suprised. If this is a common issue.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:49   #11
BHPian

The Ikon if famous for this problem I guess.
My earlier 1.3 busted its fuel pump on the way back home after a tiring day's work. Gets really annoying. Had to tow the car and spent around 11K for the entire repair.
Ford always has this habit of changing the problematic part and all the parts around it.
They told me the fuel pump went because the car mis-fired when I started it. And they said it may be due to me using LPG in the car...
Whatever!
Old 12th October 2008, 15:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
For an esteem its ok but for a Ford to do something like this might trigger off something else and then you'll spend through your nose to get it fixed again.
Ha ! My sentiments exactly.cheers:
That is exactly the reason I have not touched it so far. I was cautioned that it might stop but have already done a couple of round trips to Chandigarh.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon - Fuel Pump problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Would recommend you NOT to repair it, though it can be done by competent fiber glass guys. Its not worth the risk at the end of the day.
My Ford Ikon 1.3's fuel gauge won't budge! It's always at zero. This is a real headache as the car ran out of fuel once in the middle of heavy traffic! Got it checked by a mechanic who said that he needs to take it to an electrician to see if the voltage regulators or something has a problem. If there is no prob with the wires then I'm thinking it will be a problem with the fuel sending unit inside the tank. Any info on the cost of such repairs or replacements? I'm a bit hesitant to spend heavily again because the car just had Rs. 30k worth of replacements and repainting done and we were planning on selling it ASAP. Don't want to spend close to 10k again. Please help .
Old 4th January 2013, 10:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Check for wiring, if that is fine then it would be the float level unit or the meter console itself. Not sure about the pricing of these parts though.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 10:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
My Ford Ikon 1.3's fuel gauge won't budge! It's always at zero.
The fuel pump and float assembly is 1 piece , if you can check the pump comes for about 2.5k. chinese ones are much cheaper. Some shops can fix the float alone. You will have to drop the tank though.

Last edited by Catalyst_delhi : 4th January 2013 at 10:18. Reason: edit due to oversight
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks