Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:34   #16
BHPian

Re: List of hatchbacks/sedans with High ground clearance?

All the way, Sx4 ! 5 seat occupied with healthy people with their luggage. Not even a single scrape. I would say in sedans, Sx4 has the highest GC of 190mm.

When i was in verse of choosing the sedan car, my first priority to have is the high GC and should eat potholes of bangalore roads. On which i choosed the Sx4, but in low speeds i loose the comfort. But even this can be taken care if you reduce the tire pressure to 28psi. I have 16"wheels.

Too softer suspension will also lead to scraping of the underbody,
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:45   #17
BHPian

Though a few members here have mentioned that Figo has good ground clearance (on paper); however it does scrape a lot of times even on not so big speedbrakers or bad roads.

The best approach I have been following so far to avoid body scraping is to approach any uneven surface at an angle. Let one tyre at a time go over the bump, especially when loaded to the brim.

In my Palio elx 1.2 never scraped the bottom in three years of ownership and with Figo in the last 8K km, have scraped it once and got the drift.

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:03   #18
BHPian

It is not only the GC that matters. Wheelbase plays a big part in the effective ground clearance of a car.

Ritz has 175mm of GC which coupled with extremely short wheelbase makes the effective ground clearance very good for Bangalore roads.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Present Market? Fusion is history! Already phased out by Ford. But yes it has a fantastic clearance. I own one never had a single bottom scrapping till date in the last 6 years of ownership!
I have a Fusion too and agree, never bottomed out on a speed breaker, ever! Wish they hadn't phased this car out!

Though, I did scrape the bottom twice last year due to monsoon rain filled pot holes the size of moon craters (this being Gurgaon). Hate to think what would have happened during last monsoon if I had been driving a Honda City on those roads!
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
I think these are also cars that do not have issues with GC
i-10
Swift
Figo
You are correct about Swift and i-10 but Figo has a GC problem in Indian road condittions, eventhough it's a car specificaly designed for India.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:11   #21
BHPian

I TD the i20 and Jazz. The i20 which boasts of a higher GC then Jazz scrapped through a speed breaker which the Jazz with the same no. of occupants/ load did not. I opted for the Jazz. Though my old Santro's GC was probably the best.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nano and U-VA have got great road clearence.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:24   #23

Dear all,
I wish to mention that no hatchback or sedan can ever beat Ford Fusion.

I see people mentioning M800 has good ground clearance?? Compared to what?

I don't see any car other than Maruti SX4, Fiat Adventure, & Ford Fusion be said to have good GC.

However I own a Indica and non of the above, so hard feeling with other car owners.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
You are correct about Swift and i-10 but Figo has a GC problem in Indian road condittions, eventhough it's a car specificaly designed for India.
+1 to that!
Figo indeed has some issues with GC. i've scraped the underbody several times mostly on uneven mud roads and Some huge humps too, when there are more than 2 people seated.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:33   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

a very practical car the Fusion. it seems pretty popular in the UK and Western Europe atleast - given the number of Fusions I ve seen hanging around there.
I wish they hadnt killed it in India.
they introduced it with a petrol engine at a premium price and took way too long to bring the diesel in.
then they priced it really quite high in its TDCI PLUS avatar and only offered ABS. If they had given Airbags and Climate control etc it would have been well worth it. If they had given us the option of AWD it would have been even better!
sad. Hope they resurrect it now that the market is showing signs of maturing a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I have a Fusion too and agree, never bottomed out on a speed breaker, ever! Wish they hadn't phased this car out!

Though, I did scrape the bottom twice last year due to monsoon rain filled pot holes the size of moon craters (this being Gurgaon). Hate to think what would have happened during last monsoon if I had been driving a Honda City on those roads!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd March 2011 at 12:36.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Swift's GC can be very subjective. It completely depends on the weight loaded in the car, and more importantly, the height of the speed brakers.

I have scraped the Swift with a single person in the car (me), but then the speed breakers height was such that one would ideally need a Ghat to cross the breaker.

OT: Cant we have uniformed size Speed Breakers? Isnt there a rule which specifies the height and width of a breaker?
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

I drive an Elantra CRDI and i10, with both I had never faced issues with ground clearance. Elantra has a decent clearance of 185 mm though it appears very low.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:50   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

of course there is a "uniform recommended size specification" and height for speed breakers. but tell me, do any of these road contractors follow rules?
ideally they should request the Army Road building organization/ corps to take on all road building exercises in India OR give the contracts only to first class professional companies like L&T, NICE etc. This will provide us with possibly some of the best roads in terms of road building techniques as well as science as well as materials used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
OT: Cant we have uniformed size Speed Breakers? Isnt there a rule which specifies the height and width of a breaker?
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:52   #29
BHPian

the T-Jet Plus has good GC. Recently had been out with 5 adults and not even once did it scrap the many uneven road humps that were thrown at us.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:36   #30
BHPian

Chevrolet Aveo also has higher ground clearnace in its segment (181mm).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Maruti Ritz (small wheel base and small boot so you can't load it much :-). Larger tyre dia also helps.

Fiat Grand Punto (173mm)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks