Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Camshaft failure in Santro

Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Santro eRLX which has run 68000 Kms. It used to run pretty peppy until recently when I began experiencing a drop in power and felt the engine misfiring in instances. The drop in power was particularly evident when trying to accelerate from speeds below 20 km/h in 2nd gear. Nothing happens when I press the accelerator. If I floor it, it slowly revs up but with some misfires from the exhaust. Initially I thought its a problem with the exhaust which is an aftermarket custom free flow unit with 4x2x1 headers.

Two days back I gave it to the garage to check the problem. The mechanic checked and made sure the exhaust is ok. Then they found the engine timing is not correct and suggested changing the timing belt.

Yesterday, I got a call from the mechanic and it seems the issues is with the camshaft gear which has "slipped". He said he will try to re-condition it. If it does not work out, I may need to replace the cam shaft.

The thing is, this is the first time I am hearing about camshaft slippage. Any of you have any experience/info about this problem?
Old 31st March 2011, 15:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Camshaft failure in Santro

The camshaft is a known weak spot with a certain batch of Santros. Click here for a full discussion on the same. There are some more threads & posts on the same; please search.

As with most other large jobs, it's best for you to get a second opinion (from another mechanic) though.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2011 at 15:19.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:45   #3
BHPian

Thanks GTO. I went through the thread. So I guess I am not alone. Regarding getting second opinion, I dont think its possible since they have already downed the engine. Anyway I used to go to the same garage (Electra Performance) for past 5 years and had a fairly good experience.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:24   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Electra Performance
Ah, Electra performance! They are highly regarded on the forum; I'd trust them.
Old 1st April 2011, 07:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

@xander: Could you please explain a bit more about what you mean by the cam has slipped. Has the cam profiles been worn off chipped off or isit something else.

Please post the picture of the damaged cam shaft as well!

Cheers
Old 1st April 2011, 14:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
...suggested changing the timing belt.
Yesterday, I got a call from the mechanic and it seems the issues is with the camshaft gear which has "slipped".
Poor workmanship / trying to take a shortcut while changing the cam belt caused the camshaft damage. No good reconditioning it, get a new camshaft - should cost less than 2000 INR from an independent stockist. Not a big job, but needs proper knowledge and skill to do, otherwise the new one would end up being damaged too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The camshaft is a known weak spot with a certain batch of Santros. Click here for a full discussion...
That thread is related to crankshaft failure, which is unrelated to the current issue that xander is facing.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:35   #7
BHPian

From what the mechanic showed me, the camshaft was having a little play and was not locked tight. ie, it was moving around 15 degrees if we try to turn it when the engine is off. The gear at the end of the shaft also looked worn.

I have not taken pics of the engine. Will try to get some tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks