Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 18:34   #1
BHPian

My BMW 320d - Something wrong with the ride quality / suspension

This was supposed to be one sided review. Something that would have all good and nothing negative to say. And it was in the making, until today. Have had an exhilarating one week with my spanking new 320d highline. Loved every moment I have driven it. All of 28 hours of driving and all of 800 kms.

I have a million good things to say about the car, unfortunately the mood is a bit sombre and the words wont flow. So that may have to wait. As for what has interrupted the JOY - For the last 3-4 days, I have been finding the ride a little compromised. Now this could be right from the beginning but understandably I was way more thrilled about driving my very own 3 than to worry about the ride quality - Obviously, I attributed it to the RFT's, stiffer BMW suspension and the regular stuff. But it still bothered me. It kept feeling like something is not right with the suspension, especially the front right on uneven roads. I was sure that this could not be the case so soon, so This morning I decided to just take it to the dealers workshop and clear my head.

On reaching there, staff were helpful and knowledgeable. They had someone drive the vehicle. I obviously tagged along to show him what was I talking about. He didn't need me there, the minute we hit an uneven patch, he knew what I was talking about. Took the car back to the workshop and they did a thorough check.

There were no leaks or issues or any sign of wear and tear (stating the obvious @ 800 kms!). While Mumbai roads are poor, the real craters won't be here until the monsoons. So that's out as well.

I was told that it is "probably" the shock absorbers and now they will arrange for the part next week and call me to fix an appointment. The dealer says that this should solve the problem and no matter what the issue/cost factor, the problem would be addressed and solved.

Yes, I do not see any financial implication out of this due to Warranty + BSI + SECURE. But its a huge letdown from a brand I only dreamed of owning up to a week back. I am not interested in maligning the dealer here (no fault of theirs, but yes hereon I expect them to completely solve the problem at no cost). My point is, am I supposed to expect this out of a car in this class??. Is there anything I am missing here?
Old 1st April 2011, 18:50   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d - JOY Interrupted.

Unfortunate experience Andy. But from what I've seen with Taran's 3, the car does suffer with some minor niggles. But with BSI, you are completely covered, and this will soon fade away once you experience the joy
Old 1st April 2011, 18:57   #3
BANNED

Mine Joy has done over 27000 Km's and it's still the best toy I have.

On extra note **
There are few problems here and there, doesnt bother me yet. Taran Cough's and hugs a tree.

Last edited by taranonline : 1st April 2011 at 18:58.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:11   #4
BHPian

@taran, you do have a big heart buddy. Have read your thread in the past, and you really take the niggles well, almost like you expected them . What I need now is the problem to be sorted out the way it should be. Not some patch up job. Just annoys me, this whole thing.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW 320d - Something wrong with the ride quality / suspension

Hi Andy,

Since this is not a full ownership report, I've moved your thread to the Technical discussions forum.

A stiff ride is the 3 series' Achilles heel; BMW did soften up the suspension about 2 years back, but it's still not a patch on the comfort levels of a C Class. I'm happy to read about your dealer's supportive nature. However, I still doubt it's a faulty damper, especially as you claim there are no leaks, issues or any signs of wear and tear. Well, hopefully I'm proven wrong and a new set of dampers solves your problem.

Question : What are the chances that BMW will install a "softer" pair for customers who complain about the ride? I would say there's a high probability.
Old 1st April 2011, 20:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, I still doubt it's a faulty damper, especially as you claim there are no leaks, issues or any signs of wear and tear. Well, hopefully I'm proven wrong and a new set of dampers solves your problem.
That was really what I meant I don't want a patch up job. I have a feeling simply faulting the dampers seemed like a quickfix solution. I doubt it is THE problem. Have no option but to take the dealers word as of now and cross my fingers till next week. Dealer categorically stated that there were no leaks and no signs of wear and tear. Will be happy to move on if its just that and treat it like an untimely niggle.
Old 1st April 2011, 20:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It kept feeling like something is not right with the suspension, especially the front right on uneven roads.
what exactly do you mean by 'something is not right' in the front suspension. could you elaborate?
Old 1st April 2011, 21:52   #8
BHPian

If I had to put it in words, it would refer to a certain sound from the front right especially on uneven surfaces and almost a light rattle sometimes again on those surfaces. Almost makes me feel like it was a much older car. Now, I know the RFT issue, and no doubt dislike what they bring on the table in terms of the ride but this is more than simply a stiff ride.
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:29   #9
BHPian

Sure there's a feeling of that one-perfect-piece with these machines and you always want that feeling to last.

And since BMW doesn't take it shabbily, there's an assuring feel that everything's going to be fine. Just attend it for a while.

Not sure whether you have pondered or not, but after this gets sorted, do think about non-RFT tires. The change in comfort is very steep. Can't emphasize that more.

/me goes back to the topic.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 2nd April 2011 at 03:30.
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:23   #10
BHPian

Sure, RFT's were an obvious choice. In fact was in touch with a fellow BHPian, Nikhil (thank u Nikhil)and he strongly recommended the PS3's I was getting in lieu of my RFT's from my dealer in Mumbai. But now with all this happening, that has taken a back seat.

Now I just may want to use these for 15 - 20k kms and switch at a later stage when I know for sure I don't have any suspension issues. Although I do realise using the same size / profile technically would not in any way affect it - I do not want them to use the change in tyres simply as an excuse at a later stage.

Plus, SECURE was basically thrown in with my deal. So the cost factor is out of the way to an extent. So gonna just bump n grind till then
Old 14th April 2011, 08:30   #11
BHPian

hey andy
any update on your suspension issue? eagerly waiting.
also whilst we are at it, can you explain what is the speak button on the steering wheel. did not find any mention in the manual.
regards
Old 19th April 2011, 16:07   #12
BHPian

@ zipzapzoom, I dont know what to say, they tell me this a sound that emanates out of the steering in cars with the new steering (2011). Does not make much sense to me. I guess unless I drive another one I will not know for sure. I mean it really occurs on certain uneven surfaces only, a big patch right exists right outside the dealers workshop so he had no problem acknowledging it. In any case, they re torqued the suspension, and I do not know if its the placebo effect but it feels a lot better now.

I try not to think about it, I mean its not there most of the time, just wanna enjoy the car now.

Reg the speaker button, its a kind of voice command, for "CD" or "telephone" and the likes.

What have you done about the RFT's?
Old 19th April 2011, 19:05   #13
BHPian

andy
i pray your problem is solved after all, if it is not felt then i guess it's gone for sure. as regards to RFT i took my car for a spin first time out of mumbai and felt the RFT quality ( bad quality) first time. actually i was driving it quite slowly as all these days since delivery but took her to 100 plus speeds on this trip and felt the noise and harshness of RFT but i am not sure if i will change them,
I guess for now i will stick to RFT.. as i said it's already time for me to head back out of India. so the car will be sitting in garage for a month, i don't have time for deciding now.
I have clocked 800 KMs since delivery. I am still struggling with that speak button.
regards
Old 8th September 2011, 14:00   #14
BHPian

Hi andyb,

I bought my 320d on 31st July .. And facing the same problem as you are doing ..

I too took it to the showroom and got it inspected .. They didn't have an answer for it..

I don't know what to do but it's always running back of my mind specially on uneven surfaces.

So I reduced my tyre pressure from 32 front and 36 rear to 30 psi all around..

I hope I don't do any damage to the car by that since I'm the only person driving the car always. Without luggage..

Advise if any ..!
Old 8th September 2011, 15:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post

So I reduced my tyre pressure from 32 front and 36 rear to 30 psi all around..

I hope I don't do any damage to the car by that since I'm the only person driving the car always. Without luggage..

Advise if any ..!
30psi is fine.I use the same on my BMW too. They always recommend higher than normal levels.

Get rid of the runflats and put tubeless tyres. Thats the only way you will find a significant improvement in ride quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks