Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 12:38   #1
BANNED

Retrofitting a Thermostat to the Ambassador

Hi,
I planned to fit a Thermostat for my Ambassador (Imported Isuzu G1 Engine).Since this will be helpfull in the temperature to be in normal(80 degrees) always.

But Mechanics are bit worried to do this,since Engine block will be having some dust particles,which will allow the Thermostat switch not to open sometimes.I too agree with them,since the dust will be alws formed there in the engine block due to the casting types.My radiator capacity is 8 litres and if i stop the vehicl in the signal for 1 minutes or so,the temperature will go above 80 to 100+.

Whether any guys who already fitted any thermostat for Ambassadors or Isuzu engines,kindly share your views on how was it performing in your vehicle.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Retrofitting a Thermostat to the Ambassador

If I remember right,the 1.8L Isuzu has the radiator fan running off the engine right?

My reco to you would be not to install a thermostat - I was running my Esteem without a thermostat for almost 4 years and it's fuel efficiency was still v.good.

and as you said,if the coolant system throws up debris,that might lead to more complications
Old 9th April 2011, 19:03   #3
BHPian

Re: Retrofitting a Thermostat to the Ambassador

How much improvement in temperature happens if we use a thermostat? I plan to do the same to my Landmaster if this is useful.
Old 9th April 2011, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Hi,
I planned to fit a Thermostat for my Ambassador (Imported Isuzu G1 Engine).Since this will be helpfull in the temperature to be in normal(80 degrees) always.

But Mechanics are bit worried to do this,since Engine block will be having some dust particles,which will allow the Thermostat switch not to open sometimes.I too agree with them,since the dust will be alws formed there in the engine block due to the casting types.My radiator capacity is 8 litres and if i stop the vehicl in the signal for 1 minutes or so,the temperature will go above 80 to 100+.

Whether any guys who already fitted any thermostat for Ambassadors or Isuzu engines,kindly share your views on how was it performing in your vehicle.
If you are based in kashmir,simla,delhi,punjab,ooty,mussoorie,or any extrem cold condition place only then that thermostat works other wise it is hinderance in cooling system in places like mumbai ,goa,etc. Experts am I right???
Old 9th April 2011, 21:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The thermostat is essentially to bring the engine up to its operating tempeature as quickly as possible so that it opeates at its best efficiency.

It works like this in all modern cars - the thermostat valve is initially fully closed and coolant only circulates inside the engine jacket

As the temperature rises,the valve opens and allows the coolant to flow through radiator.
Old 10th April 2011, 08:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
if i stop the vehicl in the signal for 1 minutes or so,the temperature will go above 80 to 100+.
Fix a fan in front of your radiator. TATA's (SUMO/SAFARI) are OK. Operate through a manual switch. When you car is running you may not need that. It's always that stop and go traffic situation. This is the easiest solution and works well.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fix a fan in front of your radiator. TATA's (SUMO/SAFARI) are OK. Operate through a manual switch. When you car is running you may not need that. It's always that stop and go traffic situation. This is the easiest solution and works well.
I beg to differ.Operating a fan through a manual switch is not the best solution -it may not always be possible for one to keep an eye on the temprature gauge and keep starting/stopping the fan.This will also result in thermal shocks to the system due to temperature variation.

Any control system is designed to keep variations to the minimum ;same holds true for the typical system of fan auto cut on-off in all cars keeps engine coolant temperature hovering around the 45% mark on the gauge.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:38   #8
BHPian

I have an idea although i feel i should work am no expert on this..

Why not use a typical sensor thats used in any mpfi car,say for example lets take a water temp sensor of an 800 this should be the cheapest to start with,next either attach this sensor by making a hole in a metal surface which has the radiator water flowing or a rubber pipe attached to the radiator,this should be made hundred percent pressure and leak proof,next attach this sensor in such a way that its connected in series with the fan,when the sensor reaches its temperature it should allow the current to flow to the fan thereby running it,once the temp drops its should cut off the supply.

Like i said am no expert on this but i feel with a little run around this system should work fine.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:58   #9
BANNED

Thanks for all to share some of your thoughts.

Almost all the mechanics are very keen to remove it,Nobody recommending even if you have full coolant used.

But all are recommending to use 1:1 ratio of Coolant and water to radiator which will help the temperature to be normal (80 Degrees).In some cars (Ambassadors) i have seen it was always in 80 degrees in AC too.They are using only 1 litre coolant for 7 litre capacity radiator.

I planned to fit a cowl and fill coolant this week.I will let you all how it responds.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:46   #10
BANNED

The temperature is still creeping up to 100 degress + when i switch on AC inside the city traffic.

I am trying to solve this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:19   #11
P76
BHPian

The Isuzu G1 engine has a Thermostat inside concealed inside the aluminum water outlet housing(where the radiator top hose is connected). It usually is fail proof. My Amby with D1 engine has done more than 1.4 lakh kms, without having to open the thermostat (or for that matter the engine itself). I never faced any problems since my car has been running on coolant since day 1, and I make sure I flush/replace the coolant every 2 years. However if your car has run on plain water in the system, there is a chance of dust accumulating, and affecting the thermostat functioning.
The radiator has to be the HM side tank type for maximum cooling. The assembled 3-core, 4-core, "heavy duty" type radiators are useless. I did not believe this until I installed the 2-core side tank OE radiator.
It also helps to install a electric fan before the A/C condenser.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks