Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Does service cost vary for similar spec Audi, VW and Skoda?

I see similar spec cars in VAG garage of Audi, VW and Skoda. Take for example the 2.0L CRDI in Laura, Superb, Jetta, Passat and A4 or the 1.8 TSi in Laura, Superb and A4.

Assuming their chassis and components are shared across the range, would their service costs be similar???
Old 13th April 2011, 17:06   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Does service cost vary for similar spec Audi, VW and Skoda?

Dont know about the actual costs but can say that many of the components for the Skoda come with markings of all three brands (infact 4) on the packaging and even the product itself, and the pack mentions the various models of the these brands that use the same component. The packs have MRP printed on them so logically they should be priced the same for all the brands. (What can differ though is the service and labour charges). Also prices of components that are exclusive to specific brands will obviously differ.

I guess at a certain level this is why skoda parts seems expensive - would not seem so if the same was an Audi part as well. Part Cost is always seen / perceived relative to the cost of the whole car.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Airwind, do you think pricing of cars & their parts has anything to do with cost? No ways! It's all part of a shrewd marketing game that predicts (atleast tries to) what is the maximum that the customer will pay. Of course, certain other parameters are strong decision influencers (reputation, target market share etc.).

Some examples that have been previously discussed on Team-BHP:

- Identical wiper blade used in two cars. One car costs 2 - 3X more in the market. No prizes for guessing that the same wiper cost 3 - 4X more for the expensive car.

- Identical oil filters with varying costs, when compared to their siblings with the same engine.

I'm going to try looking up the posts and find the car names. BTW, no, I don't think an Audi will cost the same as Skoda / VW to service. Even if the maintenance parts are common.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 04:55   #4
BHPian

Not sure about the premium brands, but the cost of labour for changing oil among tata vehicles used to be different across models (even though they shared the same engine and the SAME amount of work needs to be done to change the oil!).

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 16th April 2011 at 04:56.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:48   #5
BHPian

Yes the service cost varys for similar spec Audi, VW and Skoda & that's because Audi & VW look too much into the staff members & mechanics going into their dealerships.

Getting into Audi as a mechanic needs you to have minimum 5yrs of experience where as getting into Skoda you are ok even with 6 months of expi. More experienced people higher their payments & hence the service cost difference even with similar engines & common spare parts.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 16th April 2011 at 14:53.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Audi is a rip off. 40000 for front brake pads plus labour
Old 27th May 2013, 13:25   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
One can get the Skoda Laura Front + Rear Brake pads done for about 8-9K incuding Labour. And the part comes with logo for Skoda, VW, Seat & Audi. Which by by the way is lower than the charge for the TATA Strome or Aria.

I guess the Audi front brake pad costs are more than a bit absurd (or there is an extra 0 by some mistake). I have seen the guy change the Skoda Brake pad while I stood around and he was as skilled as they come, and the part seems to be more or less the same or similar.

Last edited by ACM : 27th May 2013 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks