Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 15:52   #1
BHPian

Serious issue with my Swift vdi

Hello team,

My swift has done 52k Kms , 2.6 years old. last evening i was driving around in the city when there was this huge 'thunk' noise and the steering was feeling weird . Like the front wheel was jammed . Got out and checked to find this,

Right wheel

Serious issue with my Swift vdi-img2011041100068.jpg

Left wheel

Serious issue with my Swift vdi-img2011041100067.jpg

Serious issue with my Swift vdi-img2011041100066.jpg

The wheel is like this even when the steering is straight ,
Serious issue with my Swift vdi-img2011041200074.jpg
Serious issue with my Swift vdi-img2011041200075.jpg

The end of the drive shaft is cut-off ! the lock nut is missing .The service personnel have told me that they have never seen anything like this ! Right now the car is in maruti service masters since the car has been serviced there from the beginning. I have complained about the noise from the 30k service, and because of their incapability, a critical part failure has happened.

Has this happened to anyone else on the forum ?

@experts: I want to know what other parts can be damaged as a consequence of this ? Like brake pad, brake disc, wheel bearing etc ? I don't want to end up paying for their negligence .

Cheers

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 13th April 2011 at 15:57.
Old 13th April 2011, 16:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Serious issue with my Swift vdi

This is bad, last week Maruti Swifts were recalled due to engine issues. We all thought that Maruti stands for reliablity. On the other hand company like, Ford has improved in its product and service. Figo is a good example. Its not only cheaper than a swift by 60K spec to spec but also has lower cost of spares.
Old 13th April 2011, 16:47   #3
BHPian

well, i really dont know how can the shaft cut off. It could bend, it could crack, but such a neat cut - surprising.
Are you sure you dont have any enemies . Just kidding!

I dont think one can generalize Maruti's quality because of this issue. Any car might have had this issue. What is important is how well does Maruti handle the situation, explain why this happenned, and provide a satisfactory resolution.
If what Vibhu says about having a problem since a long time, is really linked to this, then Maruti should make sure a satisfactory solution is given free of cost (or a nominal cost).

Last edited by deep_bang : 13th April 2011 at 16:50.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:06   #4
BHPian

I have seen this happen in a Bus (While I was on board ); and you were lucky to be able to stop the vehicle in time, else the wheels would have left your car behind!!
These MASS are known to provide a breakfix solution without doing an RCA and finding the actual cause. I have experienced the same with my Wagon R where the combination switch panel had burnt twice. And both the times they were just happy to replace the part under warranty without checking why was this happening. Only on my insistance at the 2nd instance did they feel the need for it and came back with the actual cause of a faulty power connection providing excess power to the combi switch.

The MASS involved in my case was Sagar Automobiles in Bangalore.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 13th April 2011 at 18:08. Reason: spelling
Old 13th April 2011, 18:12   #5
BHPian

Lucky you were mate! I just experienced worser experience in my friend's beat. That is discussed in a separate thread.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:21   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@ vibhu_f430 , you were lucky, nothing serious happened. it could have badly damaged the car.
IMO either car's lock nut was not tightened fully, there might me play or its a manufacturing defect. Did you get light vibration on steering while accelerating ?
Old 13th April 2011, 18:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, that is bad for a less than 3-year old car. My Baleno's RHS drive-shaft failed at 5years and I thought that was bad.

In another thread a new Chevy Beat (5months old) has front suspension failure.
EDIT : Just saw that rangarx has mentioned the Beat in his post above.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:53   #8
BHPian

Seeing the deep indentation on your normal right wheel on the nut as well as the lock area it is sure that they did open your main nuts to lubricate the rubber boot or to change the boot. They did this in the affected side too but over tightened the nut with a long bar and tightened it by standing on it which you will see truckers do when changing their punctured tire. The strain and stress expressed itself when in your hands.

Its an A>S>S issue and nothing else.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 13th April 2011 at 18:57.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Really shocking to see this, i have never heard or seen such a sight in the swift. As drpullockaran mention ^^ it can be an a.s.s issue, over tightening, impact with hammer to remove a jammed axle etc or a freak failure of the cast.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Lucky you were mate! I just experienced worser experience in my friend's beat. That is discussed in a separate thread.
Yeah man, saw the pics. That real bad . Whats happening now ? Is GM willing to pay for the accident damage due to their part failure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@ vibhu_f430 , you were lucky, nothing serious happened. it could have badly damaged the car.
IMO either car's lock nut was not tightened fully, there might me play or its a manufacturing defect. Did you get light vibration on steering while accelerating ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Seeing the deep indentation on your normal right wheel on the nut as well as the lock area it is sure that they did open your main nuts to lubricate the rubber boot or to change the boot. They did this in the affected side too but over tightened the nut with a long bar and tightened it by standing on it which you will see truckers do when changing their punctured tire. The strain and stress expressed itself when in your hands.

Its an A>S>S issue and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Really shocking to see this, i have never heard or seen such a sight in the swift. As drpullockaran mention ^^ it can be an a.s.s issue, over tightening, impact with hammer to remove a jammed axle etc or a freak failure of the cast.
The thing is, there has been some problem for like 25k kms now.
>>(The vehicle is moving in gear) when i step on the gas there is a 'thunk' noise. When i get off the gas ,again there is a 'thunk' noise. I first complained in the 30k service.
The noise stops for like 3-4k kms and again starts !. They keep adjusting play in some 'yoke shaft' or say the baring has worn out or some crap .

Complained about the same problem 4 times now. 30k, 40k, 43k, 50k . The car came back from 50k service only 2 weeks back !
They changed the left front wheel bearing 2 times in 50k kms ! Is that normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
I have seen this happen in a Bus (While I was on board ); and you were lucky to be able to stop the vehicle in time, else the wheels would have left your car behind!!
These MASS are known to provide a breakfix solution without doing an RCA and finding the actual cause. I have experienced the same with my Wagon R where the combination switch panel had burnt twice. And both the times they were just happy to replace the part under warranty without checking why was this happening. Only on my insistance at the 2nd instance did they feel the need for it and came back with the actual cause of a faulty power connection providing excess power to the combi switch.

The MASS involved in my case was Sagar Automobiles in Bangalore.
Even after repeated complaints they haven't done any part replacement under warranty. And my warranty expires in July !

Cheers

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 13th April 2011 at 22:37.
Old 14th April 2011, 00:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks to me like there has been work done on the driveshafts earlier on - someone apparently didn't do a good job of fitting the retaining nut back on and locking it in place. Please confirm this, Vibhu, was an axle boot changed earlier, or work done on the front wheel bearings, etc.?
Old 14th April 2011, 00:54   #12
BANNED

Take the issue up with Maruti directly. They are better responsive compared to many others. It is evident that this is dealer carelessness. Take a print out of your car's service history and it will surely have had its front wheels greased in the recent past or some other work done on the same lines.

Use that to prove your point. It should be taken care of under warranty.
Old 14th April 2011, 06:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

As already mentioned, the workmanship was not upto the mark while doing the job on driveshaft or wheel bearing. I would suggest contacting people directly in MUL with your service history. If the dealership is unable to comprehend the problem, its time to escalate!
Old 14th April 2011, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Hello team,

I have complained about the noise from the 30k service, and because of their incapability, a critical part failure has happened.
M.A.S.S will have a service history of all the cars regularly serviced at their workshop. The system records the complains/ parts changes etc of the car. If you had complained about the noise and it has been recorded them you have a good chance of asking them to bear the cost. It wont be easy though.

Dont you have extended warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks