Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 02:03   #1
BHPian

What is Santro Xing Manual Transaxle Oil Capacity?

I heard that it's 2.45 ltr. But I am not sure.

I recently changed the Oil and the mechanic added just 2 lts. Is it ok?
Old 14th April 2011, 06:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is Santro Xing Manual Transaxle Oil Capacity?

I don't think its even 2 Ltrs. In my Uno its about 800 ml and the differential in my Bolero / Scorpio is about 1.2Ltrs. So I don't think it will be 2 Ltrs.

Check the owners manual though.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
I heard that it's 2.45 ltr. But I am not sure.

I recently changed the Oil and the mechanic added just 2 lts. Is it ok?
Yes, it's 2.45L. 2L is less, suggest you buy another 0.5L and top it up. Please don't take it lightly, GB damage can be a messy and costly job. Which oil did you use earlier (the 2L)?

Last edited by amit1234singla : 14th April 2011 at 10:29.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too filled about 2 ltrs. Have yet to check with the manual to see the exact capacity.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Have yet to check with the manual to see the exact capacity.
Santro service manual says 2.45L. I have two santros in family.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:42   #6
BHPian

Thanks for all replies.

I don't have santro manual :( Do any one of you have soft copy of it so I can download?

I used mobil manual transmission oil. I will buy 0.5 ltr more and top up ASAP.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:51   #7
BHPian

I told my mechanic about 2.45 ltr capacity and told him to top-up. He told me that it's not needed. To explain it further, he told me following points:

1. When we remove old oil, there always some oil left. And if I added more than 2.0 ltr then the oil will be above required oil level and it will leak.
2. When car starts, the system throw the oil and create RAIN type effect. So even 1.5 ltr will also be enough; but 2.0 ltr is perfect.

He was very confident, so I decided to trust him and returned without top-up.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I told my mechanic about 2.45 ltr capacity and told him to top-up. He told me that it's not needed. To explain it further, he told me following points:

1. When we remove old oil, there always some oil left. And if I added more than 2.0 ltr then the oil will be above required oil level and it will leak.
2. When car starts, the system throw the oil and create RAIN type effect. So even 1.5 ltr will also be enough; but 2.0 ltr is perfect.

He was very confident, so I decided to trust him and returned without top-up.
I have a slightly different point of view. Your mechanic is probably very good, but I will always go by the quantity of oils mentioned in the manual. Why would Hyundai mention 2.45L if 1.5 or 2.0 was enough? They also know that draining will leave some old oil in unless GB is opened and cleaned. Rain type effect happens in case of engine oil as well. Then are we saying 2L is enough when manual says 3.1L.

We can't get into the technicals as I think it's impossible to estimate/ measure the amount of rain type effect w/o proper equipments. So my common sense says go by what manual says. Of course, choice and car is your's, mine are just views! Drive safe.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

However, 2.45 litres is the 'total capacity', not the amount to be refilled, to be precise. So if the total capacity is to hold 2.45 L and there's some residue from the earlier oil, filling another 2L oil into the tranny should hold about 2.2 L in it?

Will this capacity be precisely what the tranny needs, or maybe a little extra on the safer side? For e.g. the fuel tank capacity says 35 litres, but then the neck of the tank could hold another 2 or 3 litres. So the car is holding more than 35 litres when filled to the brim.

I think the manufacture must have some allowances to make here, as nobody would be filling exactly 2.45 L oil every time the tranny oil is changed.

Take the engine oil dipstick. If the oil level is a little below the high mark, it wouldn't mean the engine will suffer damage or there's lack of oil. Yes, topping up and bringing the level to the high mark would be good, but if it's a little below the high mark, no cause for worry. So my personal take is it should still be 'ok' to have refilled 2 L.
Old 16th April 2011, 13:43   #10
BHPian

Mechanic is right that some oil is always left and since gear oil is quite thick, upto 500ml can stay inside gearbox. To avoid any over/underfill we can always measure the amount of old gear oil that was taken out and fill the exact amount of fresh oil if there was no leak of gear oil previously. If there was a small leak then adding slightly more oil (say 200ml) will be sufficient.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all replies.

I don't have santro manual :( Do any one of you have soft copy of it so I can download?

I used mobil manual transmission oil. I will buy 0.5 ltr more and top up ASAP.

Hi Dark Eraser

1. You Can not Buy 0.5 Ltrs by volume. Most brands supply Manual GB oils in atleast 1 Litre Cans/Bottles.

2. I have done a lot of iterations with my Santro GB Oil viscocity , Quantity etc
2.45 Litres is theoritical Quantity filled in Freshly assembled Gear Box.

3. Since Lot of oil sticks in Gear tooths, Gear wheels , bearing and Shafts , thus IN ALL LIKELIHOOD even with 2 litres oil Your gear box will not face any operational or hidden problem.

4. Do not fill any more Oil if you use your car "normally".
If 3-4 heavy persons ply in your car quite Often then Just add 225 ml oil in GB and forget it.

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 18th April 2011 at 23:40. Reason: Post edited - All [U] tags removed.
Old 28th April 2011, 05:54   #12
BHPian

Thanks for all replies.

I didn't filled any extra oil. I am ok with 2ltrs. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks