Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 13:27   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 - Oil Leakage

I am not sure if this is the right section for this thread, however mods can move it accordingly.

A friend was out touring in Uttrakhand, encountered some bad roads, the car bottomed out a few times, and now he is in Rishikesh with a leakage from underbody. Couple of things :

1. What could have gone wrong ? Sump ? shaft ?

2. I don't think there is Authorized Hyundai in Rishikesh, does someone have any suggestions ?

He is right finding a local mechanic who can jack the car up and inspect the under body to tell him what has been damaged.

Sorry for hasty thread, however I thought it would be wise to get information here, while he try to get things sorted there.

Car : Hyundai i20 Diesel, 2009.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:37   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 - Oil Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I am not sure if this is the right section for this thread, however mods can move it accordingly.

A friend was out touring in Uttrakhand, encountered some bad roads, the car bottomed out a few times, and now he is in Rishikesh with a leakage from underbody. Couple of things :

1. What could have gone wrong ? Sump ? shaft ?

2. I don't think there is Authorized Hyundai in Rishikesh, does someone have any suggestions ?

He is right finding a local mechanic who can jack the car up and inspect the under body to tell him what has been damaged.

Sorry for hasty thread, however I thought it would be wise to get information here, while he try to get things sorted there.

Car : Hyundai i20 Diesel, 2009.
Only an underbody inspection can tell what all is wrong. If the underbody has hit the road/ big stones badly, likely damage could be to oil sump/ sump nut which is risky. Drive shafts might be damaged or rubber boots might be cut. If it was severe, damage can also be to gear box from underside. Suggest your friend not to crank the car and lift it on the jack and see under the car. Be very careful though. Best to find out a local mechanic and do the checks with his help. Crank the car only after ensuring there is enough engine oil/ GB oil in it. How about calling Hyundai 24X7 number and asking for nearest HASS in that area and if they can help with their emergency road service?
Old 19th April 2011, 13:43   #3
BANNED

it might be the sump, since it was bad road, there are 100% chances that sump got hit, can seal the leak temporarily with help of local mechanic, but before that we have to see what is exact problem.

whether drain bolt got misaligned / or the cover itself got damaged with crack etc. whatever it is, if it is sump, you can weld the crack by removing the sump and again refitting with RTV red paste, and then you can drive to home.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What exactly is leaking? Coolant or oil? Irrespective, tell your friend to NOT drive the car at all. Common-rail diesels aren't cheap to repair. If the engine is starved of oil, or overheats, he would be looking at a bill of over 2 lakh rupees.

He should get the car towed to the nearest, competent workshop immediately.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:32   #5
BHPian

Its a small hole in the sump. Welding is not possible as it is made of aluminum, so he is getting it patched up with M-Seal and then would coat it with an industrial grade sealant.

Asked him to keep extra oil with him and check periodically for oil level.
Old 15th November 2012, 14:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What exactly is leaking? Coolant or oil? Irrespective, tell your friend to NOT drive the car at all. Common-rail diesels aren't cheap to repair. If the engine is starved of oil, or overheats, he would be looking at a bill of over 2 lakh rupees.

He should get the car towed to the nearest, competent workshop immediately.
Hi Rush

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I own an April 2011 i20, magna, CRDi, 6 speed. It has clocked 40k and was serviced at HASS last week. Ever since the service was completed, the engine note has changed noticeably, for the worse. I am able to hear a separate noise, something similar to a tappet noise. When asked to HASS, they say that they have not done anything apart from chaging the engine oil. That said, there are other new observations ( after the 40k service) as well.
1. Belt slip noise observed. This was not observed till date.
2. There was a small oil patch on the floor just below the front right corner module of my car.
3. There is a 4 post hoist in my workplace. I lifted the car in that and found a large oil patch on the side of the sump ( on the sump wall facing the front of the car and the back of the car). There was oil all over the pulley of the HVAC compressor as well. This could have been the cause for the belt slip.
4. I personally wiped off the oil patch with a cotton waste dipped in soap water and ensured that the surface is clean.
I sthought the service guys had accidentally spilt some oil while pouring into the engine.

I then took the car to my home town for Diwali. It clocked around 1000kms in a week. Today morning, I put the car in my hoist and following are my observations.
1. Large amount of dust/mud was sticking to the patch which I had cleaned with soap oil earlier.
2. Traces of oil found in the HVAC compressor pulley's neck ( the portion that gets seated in the compressor casting - near the oil seal ).
3. I lowered the car from the hoist and opened the black plastic cover found on top of the engine. To my shock, there was some 100ml of oil found near the first injector from the left.
I fitted the plastic cover and took the vehicle straight to HASS. They repeated everything I did earlier and finally told that the oil near the injector might be due to oil spillage during filling. The oil patch found at the bottom is now suspected to be oil from the HVAC compressor ( faulty HVAC compressor !!) and not the engine oil.
Since I have wiped the traces of oil, they are not able to pin point the origin of the oil. Hence they have asked me to come back after some 100km of driving, expecting that in case of leak, some dust would have accumulated by then.
Now, I am getting a bit jittery. New engine note, belt slip, oil leak near fuel injector, oil patch in engine sump and oil seep in HVAC pulley. My head is reeling.

Requesting your help Rush/t-Bhp.

Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 19:25   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
I then took the car to my home town for Diwali. It clocked around 1000kms in a week. Today morning, I put the car in my hoist and following are my observations.
1. Large amount of dust/mud was sticking to the patch which I had cleaned with soap oil earlier.
2. Traces of oil found in the HVAC compressor pulley's neck ( the portion that gets seated in the compressor casting - near the oil seal ).
3. I lowered the car from the hoist and opened the black plastic cover found on top of the engine. To my shock, there was some 100ml of oil found near the first injector from the left.
I fitted the plastic cover and took the vehicle straight to HASS. They repeated everything I did earlier and finally told that the oil near the injector might be due to oil spillage during filling. The oil patch found at the bottom is now suspected to be oil from the HVAC compressor ( faulty HVAC compressor !!) and not the engine oil.
Since I have wiped the traces of oil, they are not able to pin point the origin of the oil. Hence they have asked me to come back after some 100km of driving, expecting that in case of leak, some dust would have accumulated by then.
Now, I am getting a bit jittery. New engine note, belt slip, oil leak near fuel injector, oil patch in engine sump and oil seep in HVAC pulley. My head is reeling.

Thanks
This ain't good buddy.

Have you checked your bill for the last service as to what they have changed and done during the service?

Tell the service center people to train their staff how to pour oil into the engine. I mean it is not that a small hole for the oil to spill so much. It is not good for the oil to stay in that area which is HOT.

What guarantee do these HASS guys give if there is a problem with the compressor when used due to the oil leak? Is your car under warranty?

Anurag
Old 16th November 2012, 08:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rush

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I own an April 2011 i20, magna, CRDi, 6 speed. It has clocked 40k and was serviced at HASS last week. Ever since the service was completed, the engine note has changed noticeably, for the worse. I am able to hear a separate noise, something similar to a tappet noise. When asked to HASS, they say that they have not done anything apart from chaging the engine oil. That said, there are other new observations ( after the 40k service) as well.
1. Belt slip noise observed. This was not observed till date.
2. There was a small oil patch on the floor just below the front right corner module of my car.
3. There is a 4 post hoist in my workplace. I lifted the car in that and found a large oil patch on the side of the sump ( on the sump wall facing the front of the car and the back of the car). There was oil all over the pulley of the HVAC compressor as well. This could have been the cause for the belt slip.
4. I personally wiped off the oil patch with a cotton waste dipped in soap water and ensured that the surface is clean.
I sthought the service guys had accidentally spilt some oil while pouring into the engine.

Thanks
Wildchild, there should not be any problem at all with the service. Normally(this is from my experience), newbie technicians perform the more mundane tasks of oil-change etc. So some oil would have spilled out. as the engine warms up, the spilled oil (on engine & belt) gets less viscous & continues 'dripping'. i would suggest that you pressure wash the entire area including the belts, apply carbon clean & wash again. That will solve your problem.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:40   #9
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - Oil Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This ain't good buddy.

Have you checked your bill for the last service as to what they have changed and done during the service?

Tell the service center people to train their staff how to pour oil into the engine. I mean it is not that a small hole for the oil to spill so much. It is not good for the oil to stay in that area which is HOT.

What guarantee do these HASS guys give if there is a problem with the compressor when used due to the oil leak? Is your car under warranty?

Anurag
Hi Anurag
Yes, I've checked the bill and it does mention price and quantity of engine oil that was changed.
Regarding the HVAC compressor, these guys have asked me to check a drop in cabin cooling for the next 7 days. If anything positive turns up, then it's a ".. one fresh compressor comin' up.. "
My car's warranty is still valid. So hope I am not charged heavily.

This is the first time I'm troubled with HASS. Otherwise, I would rate their work a well deserved 5 star.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2015, 21:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for bumping up this thread again. I happened to remove the plastic engine cover on my 2013 i20 CRDi 6 speed just for cleaning and came to notice some oil pooling near the injectors. The whole channel in which the injectors are installed is slightly wet with some liquid that feels like oil to me. I'm hoping that someone spilled oil during service. But the service was done about 3 months ago and should have dried out by now as I have driven close to 5000 km after that. Now I have cleaned it off with some tissue paper and planning to check it out again whether it reappears or not in another week or so after driving a bit. Do you still have the car or can you help me with this issue? What was it in your case? This was the only thread which describes this problem closest to what I have now! Thanks!

Last edited by alphahere : 26th January 2015 at 21:32.
Old 27th January 2015, 19:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Apologies for bumping up this thread again
Hello Alpha,

I guess bumping up an old thread is not an issue until and unless it solves your problem and gives you peace of mind.
That said, your problem seems to be very similar to mine.
The pool of oil that you see near the injector is only spillage, period.
I had to carry out a series of DOEs ( Design Of Experiments ) on my car to arrive at this solution.
My observations on the listed problem are
1. Oil definitely spills while the technician re-fills the engine with fresh one. The spillage is always around the injector closer to the engine oil refilling port.
2. Technicians at HASS do not even bother to wipe off the spillage.
3. No. It does not vaporize with temperature. It is not water, man. Temperature at the engine casting is barely 80 deg~90 deg C. So the oil pool will definitely stay there tight till you eventually wipe it off. It may probably loose its viscosity, but definitely not evaporate!
4. And to sum up, my vehicle did drive faultlessly(touch wood) till 70,000km until I finally sold it off.
So my suggestion is - Oil ko wipe karo, Drive karo, Enjoy karo.

Regards
W_C

Note
- An update on my earlier post : The belt slippage was purely due to engine oil spillage only. Climate Control's compressor was working fine till I disposed the vehicle.

All the above findings are purely based on my design of experiments carried over a period of 4 weeks and 2000kms of running. Requesting you to carry out satisfactory experiments until you are convinced.
Thanks
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The pool of oil that you see near the injector is only spillage, period.
I had to carry out a series of DOEs ( Design Of Experiments ) on my car to arrive at this solution.
Thanks a lot for your comments. Lucky for you that it was only spillage. I cleaned it up with detergent as you have said and made it completely dry. But what I notice is that when the engine is running, oil is seeps ever so slightly from below an arm that is attached to the injector. And its happening only for the first two injectors from the left. It must be some device used to supply oil to lubricate the injectors. I tried blowing into the space around the bolt holding the arm in place and could see oil dripping out when the engine runs. Guess I'm in for a warranty claim here!
Hyundai i20 - Oil Leakage-20150128_092850.jpg
Old 12th February 2015, 16:39   #13
BHPian

This is an update on the problem mentioned earlier regarding the oil leakage near injectors. It might just help someone in need. The oil leakage starts when the engine has warmed up and driven quite a bit. Oil seeps out in drops from the below bolts marked with the red circle in the picture in the previous post. So leaving it like that without cleaning for a few days will see quite a bit of oil wetness accumulated around the injectors. It was successfully fixed from HASS. All the four injectors themselves were taken out and re installed by applying some sealant paste. They informed that some O rings were also changed under warranty. Now the leak has stopped completely and the area is as dry as ever even after 2 weeks of driving hard. Hope it stays this way. Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks