Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 22:52   #1
BHPian

Swift VDi sounding like old Amby!!

I recently bought a 3.5 years old Swift VDi with 33K KM on ODO. The car is in good condition - except that there is too much noise from the engine - it sounds like the old Amby. Even with the windows rolled up the noise is pretty obvious.
I replaced all the oils, filters in the car after purchasing. The car is performing well, no laggines and is pretty responsive. In fact in my view everything is O.K except the sound :( .
I'll take it to MASS or an independent workshop. But can you guys point out what needs to be checked?
Old 20th April 2011, 22:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift VDi sounding like old Amby!!

The silencer. Is the noise the same when the engine is cold. Does it increase when the engine is hot.

Have the car raised on a ramp and check the underside. Is something loose or broken. Using a spanner bang on different parts. Not hard. Just to see the sounds that come. Does any of these sounds feel familiar to the noise you are experiencing.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:32   #3
BHPian

Will check.
BTW the sound seems to be from the engine compartment. Yes it increases when the engine is hotter.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:46   #4
BHPian

Hi archat68, could you please detail what kind of sound you are experiencing. Is it like a metal clank sound (mostly if something is loose) or is it the engine beat which is loud. Its better you get it checked by a mechanic as soon as possible to avoid further damage of your car. Lets hope the sound has nothing to do with the pistons or crank .
Old 21st April 2011, 10:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Does it sound through out the engine revs or only at a particular RPM? If its latter get the air filter cleaned/replaced and ask the MASS to bleed the diesel filter. Also which engine oil are you using in the car? Mobil Delvac Mx helps a bit with engine noise. You can also check if all the rubber grommets on the firewall are intact and not letting the engine sound creep in.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu: Will the EGR cleaning help ?
Old 21st April 2011, 11:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I recently bought a 3.5 years old Swift VDi with 33K KM on ODO. The car is in good condition - except that there is too much noise from the engine - it sounds like the old Amby. Even with the windows rolled up the noise is pretty obvious.
I replaced all the oils, filters in the car after purchasing. The car is performing well, no laggines and is pretty responsive. In fact in my view everything is O.K except the sound :( .
I'll take it to MASS or an independent workshop. But can you guys point out what needs to be checked?
Assuming the sound is from engine and no underbody parts are loose, grinding against each other, you can try the following, in the suggested order of priority:

1. As Jaggu suggested, get the air filter cleaned/ replaced and diesel filter bled. Do you see excessive black smoke from exauhst?

2. Check the engine oil grade last used. A diesel specific oil like Mobil Delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4 is good to use. If you plan to change the oil, can also do an engine flush (if not done already).

3. How much engine oil you filled? Make sure it's not more than recommended 3.1L, else your turbo might be on it's way out.

4. If not already done, you can think of getting the engine decarbonization and EGR cleaning done.

5. Get the turbo checked. It might be okay as you mentioned the car is performing well.

Are you sure the car had done only 33k km's? Also generally the engine sound is supposed to come down a little bit after engine getting warmed up as compared to cold.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:27   #8
BHPian

Diesel filter already changed. Air filter cleaned.

No de-carbonisation done - but engine oil changed. The mechanic used Castrol magnatec as he showed me that it is suitable for both Petrol and diesel engines. I'm thinking that the engine oil is the culprit. Couldn't find the Delvac MX at the time of replacing the oil.

Didn't checked the oil quantity - but it's at the level of the max mark at dipstick.

No rattling or metallic sound. Also, the sound is not at any particular RPM, generally the engine is noisier and with acceleration the noise increases.

Turbo seems to be O.K as it kicks in nicely at around 2K RPM and I can feel the surge .

I'm sure about the odometer reading.

Somebody else also suggested EGR valve cleaning and adjustment. Is this a complicated job and will it solve the sound problem.

If I ignore the engine noise - there is nothing wrong with the car (only minor rattles)!!
Old 21st April 2011, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Check the engine mounts.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:05   #10
BHPian

^^ I think it's not from the engine mount.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

How is the performance of the engine. If it is gone down and turbo is not very effective then it is due to EGR being blocked. If the performance of engine and turbo is good then the problem is elsewhere.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
No de-carbonisation done - but engine oil changed. The mechanic used Castrol magnatec as he showed me that it is suitable for both Petrol and diesel engines. I'm thinking that the engine oil is the culprit. Couldn't find the Delvac MX at the time of replacing the oil.

Didn't checked the oil quantity - but it's at the level of the max mark at dipstick.

Somebody else also suggested EGR valve cleaning and adjustment. Is this a complicated job and will it solve the sound problem.
Castrol Megnatec is a pertol specific engine oil. It's rated API SM for petrol. It sure can be used in Diesel as well but is rated API CF for diesel. I think swift diesel manual says a minimum rating of API CG4 (or is it CH4?). For more details, please read through the last few pages on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-oils-45.html

Make sure the oil level is at or a dot below the max mark on dipstick. Anything more than max is a problem, more specifically in Swifts. EGR cleaning is not so easy and takes time, but I think it costs only 600 bucks at MASS. So you can go for it but make sure they actually do it. You can also go for intercooler cleaning. That should not cost much I think. Considering your problem, I would recommend de-carbonization as well, this should cost around Rs.1,500. If, all of this does not work, then I can't think of any other solutions. Basically all of these solutions are intented to clean fuel lines, injectors, air intake and exhaust system. Normally expected results are smoother, refined engine and better performance.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

There you go.You are using wrong engine oil! Change it ASAP.If you cant find mobil delvac go for Shell Rimula R4.Its equally good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks