Team-BHP - BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/100556-bmw-x1-joy-unplanned-x1-20d-first-team-bhp.html)

JOY. That's who we answer to.
JOY is youthful.
JOY inspires works of art. It is collectible, and shapes the future.
JOY has a fan club & and its contagious!
JOY is efficient, dynamic & and unstoppable. ( from FlyingSpur's thread)

Joy is BMW
The latest variant says, "Joy is unplanned"

With the X1 BMW now seems to be climbing every mountain, exploring every niche in search of every buyer.

Any ways after tons and tons of research of deciding on what car i settled on the x1.The booking was made in January mid second week. After careful deliberation and thought to the only other contender the Toyota Fortuner.The fortunter lost out given the Toyota badge, innova like interiors. Granted that simply nothing else matches fortuner in terms road presence.Decided to go with the X1 and paid the booking amount without taking a test drive. as the car was launched and there where no test drive cars available.
BMW X1 sDrive 20d Corporate Editon
Key specs:
Exterior Dimensions:
BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-x1_datasheet_large.jpg
Performance

Top speed (km/h) 218
Acceleration 0 - 100 km/h (in s) 8.3 or 8.9 depending on the source
Acceleration 0 - 1.000 m (in s) 29.3

Since i have opted for the Non Idrive or the Corp Edition will put up a list of things not available in the car

NO I drive.
No Xenon lights.
The Corona rings remain on the CE( I cant seem to find any on my car)as per company specs
No Headlamp washer
No 6 Cd changer
No Reverse camera
Lack of Electrical seat adjustment i.e 8 way.

Height:Not high as your typical SUV, though you're still above the average car's seating position.but then the wagon r is actually taller than the x1 side by side!

Road presence yes! Better than the honda city not as much as an suv but people definitely do give you way,with not that many people cutting into your way as with an average sedan.from driving experience it seems the car can muscle past anything smaller than it most two wheelers autos and most cars. How ever you tend to get pushed around by all the buses on the road

Poor rear seats almost got the feeling of sitting in a hole
Front seats are quite comfy enough.
High transmission tunnel rear can seat at best 2 comfortably
The steering has a hefty weight to it at parking speeds.feels like a ford's steering.after a long 300km drive my hands are paining without doubt.Worse the horn needs a full face of the palm to be depressed.Not good!
To put things in perspective after 1 hr of heavy traffic my palms and my forearms are paining with a capital P

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0848.jpg
Elephantine over sized OVRM's which can be folded electrically from inside the car.

Opted for the BMW BSI Ultimate 5 Years /60,000 Km package
BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-4.jpg

- Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership:
Booking & delivery experience from the dealership! To describe it one word would be apt Horrible! ,if it wasn't for the fact that there is only one dealership in madras i would have cancelled the booking and booked else where.i wouldn't want to get into more details and keep the rest of the thread positive

- On-road price, discounts etc.
On road 29.28 Lakhs
Road tax 3.92 Lakhs+ Insurance 95,400rs
Plus 49,635rs BMW Secure Package for 1 year
Plus 1,88,760 rs Bmw BSI ultimate for 60k/5 years
Discount 27,000rs

- Engine type & variant opted for

20D S Drive Corporate Edition2100kms completed Including two Bangalore-madras, Bangalore- Salem trips

My usual usage pattern would be 12 kms daily in moderate traffic.Currently driving over 60km per day for the month

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-dsc00099.jpg

- Exterior styling & design may not be to everyone 's liking but the car fits my bill for having a higher seating position and a long sweeping bonnet thats quite well visible to me from inside the

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0793.jpg
Pedals in the picture are not what you get from the factory, but an original bmw extra fitting part no 35000304643.

You get admiring glances on the road to outright peeping toms.Complete with Loonies on the highway who want to race you.

- Overall build quality and fit & finish is well above par nothing seems or feels like it will break up with use at all.Maybe the design could have been just a tad better but then the interior is quite similar to the 3 and 5 series in basic interior layout. No complaints about the build quality of the interiors.

Front seats are superb i am happy no complaints there.but then the corporate edition doesn't have any seat adjustment other than height adjustment & seat forward and backward electrically.how ever the 8 or 4 way seat adjustment/ which is found on the passat and the A 4 at the same cost is missing. Effectively leaving out lumbar support!
Rear seats are best avoided given the sweeping design of the rear maybe this gives you a less commanding view and a lower seating position compared to the front

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0801.jpg
- Air conditioner seems to work well haven't really spent time with it. Turn on the ignition and out side air ventilation is turned on by default forcing you to turn it off every single time, manual shows a ventilation mode with a filter to shut off the ventilation when pollutants are detected in the air!. A/c vents below the front seats to cool the rear passengers legs,but no rear vents.

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-june-163.jpg
Did go with Vkool Vk 70 for the front and rear windshield, and the diamond series for the sides. damages about 34k.after a lot of hesitation considering night visibility.after the install can say i'd recommend it for any one who's thinking of it.

City & highway performance & driveability

For day to day city driving the car doesn't let down how ever the car still take's just about 1 second to deliver power like a catapult being let go after a kickdown is done.once its accelerating the car simply presses you back into the seat with the speedo simply climbing away without no let down in between! which on the highway is quite exhilarating. no excessive engine noise at high speeds. So on the whole would say that i am absolutely satisfied with the engine phenomenal at no point does it feel under powered during hard acceleration.did pull up and overtake a new C which was kicking down for sure considering the black smoke spewing out seeing me in his mirror. have to admit pulled up and away past him at 140 not before.

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0798.jpg
Gear shift from the auto box has a lag of maybe 1-2 seconds during a kick down.still getting used to the concept of leaving my left foot free all the time.unable to rev the engine at a red light like a manual so can someone tell me how to get of at maximum speed at the traffic light?.
The automatic D,S,N,R symbols are not backlit _( they are lit on the side the letters themselves are not)during a gearshift and make it difficult to change to reverse gear at night.

- Worst fuel efficiency : City 6 km /liter and Highway 7km /liter
BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0796.jpg
- Suspension tends to communicate bad road conditions into your spine to be precise,it seems that you need a phd in pothole navigation and avoidance. But then the stiff suspension does let you corner like the car is on rails at 150+. Have read the argument to change the RFT to tubelesss to improve ,shall i say pothole performance. Considering both navnith motors at Bangalore and Kun at madras are adamant that it would void suspension warranty in the Bmw BSI Ultimate package decided to keep the RFT.also read the argument that as long as i stick to the manufacturers specs i can change the tires, neither showrooms are agreeing to this point either.

- Handling,on-road behavior,grip levels,steering, braking, high speed stability
Phenomenal, no complaints

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0795.jpg
Superbly dampened interiors keeps most of the environmental noise out. Less noise in the cabin in heavy traffic.Inbuilt music system is called the BMW radio professional. Probably one of the main differences with the fully loaded X1 lack of i drive the system.

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-img_0797.jpg
The Corporate Editon has a usb port enabling me to play Wav files of my seagate 250 external drive. Bluetooth is inbuilt to pair your phone and take calls with the bmw radio professional.

BMW X1 JOY Unplanned!!! X1-20d, a First on Team-BHP-june-152.jpg
Added a picture of my X1 scale model i bought too.

some pictures of the interiors and two others pics (bus and auto view) for a sense of where this car stands as a supposed baby suv.

If you are considering buying the car:
Phenomenal engine
Car never ever scrapes over any speed breaker no matter how high
Badge value
Front seat are great
Build quality.
A tad bit of road presence enough to scare away autos

Reasons to give the car a pass if you are thinking of buying an X1:

That awful heavy power steering,Even worse at parking speeds.( thats when the sales rep wants to sell you the 320 with a newer / softer steering)
Suspension performance on potholes.But remember it makes up at high speeds.
A horn that needs a lot of effort to be pressed!
Waiting period?

Most of these pictures where taken with an iphone except a few.
Lastly would like to say thank you for the iphone app which let me type this up when i was free over a period of 20 days.would like to have taken more time but it seems quite a few people want to see an ownership report as they are considering buying the x1.i would say i am not really a person to write review, which is probably best left to my favorite reviewer Gto and others here.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Public Forum. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations alot abisek for your Gorgeous looking x1.
Beemer looks awesome in white.
But FE you've quoted above i.e: 6-7kmpl is too low for a Diesel engined car. Bytheway how much FE the BMW is actually claiming for it ! !

Congrats Abishek,
X1 is really a fantastic car to see in flush.
Might be, I saw your car yesterday near spic, guindy while i returned from office. That time I spoken with my wife in Linea's inbuilt phone, the word I uttered instantly to her, I wanna buy x1.
Enjoy and Drive Safe :)
This reply is also from Team-Bhp iPhone Apps only :)

Congratulations Abhishek on your B.E.A.U.T.F.U.L BMW X1.

Woohoo! What a car and she looks so gorgeous in this color.

We too wish to own an entry level BMW in next few years.

I know this may be unusual but I expect a comparison report between X1 and ANHC as you own that car also.

Wishing you years of happy driving.

Very insightful review. Enjoy your 'beast'.

Congrats on your new acquisition. Drive safe:)

Congrats abhishek! Awesome car!
Definitely the first one on the forum.

I am confused about the price break up. You have mentioned insurance(1yr), BMW secure(1yr) and BSI(5yr). Isn't BSI an all inclusive package, with Insurance too? And what is BMW secure? What is covered under it that is not under BSI? or does BSI come into the picture after BMW secure expires, after a year?

EnJOY and drive safe! :)

First and foremost Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRtorquefan (Post 2405597)
But FE you've quoted above i.e: 6-7kmpl is too low for a Diesel engined car.

To be honest given the pick up/ acceleration i find it very difficult to drive with FE in mind.any FE achieved disappears the moment a kick down is done,Given it is possible to achieve FE figures of even 20 km /liter if i am traveling at a constant 80km/hr the onboard computer which i found to be exceptionally accurate showed this figure. the reason why i say so is had to feather touch the accelerator and keep it at 80km for 15 km due to the area being well known for speedguns/cops today.other wise i guess with moderate traffic which is mobile and not stagnant the best FE was about 10km/lit. but with extremely heavy city traffic and being stationary for long periods 7 km/lit.And as for highway driving would give that a pass as i still haven't got round to driving slow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aks_karthik (Post 2405607)
Might be, I saw your car yesterday near spic

Oops i'm staying at Bangalore for now, so thats where the cars at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 2405608)
I know this may be unusual but I expect a comparison report between X1 and ANHC as you own that car also.

That well, maybe for later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 2405853)
I am confused about the price break up. You have mentioned insurance(1yr), BMW secure(1yr) and BSI(5yr). Isn't BSI an all inclusive package, with Insurance too? And what is BMW secure? What is covered under it that is not under BSI? or does BSI come into the picture after BMW secure expires, after a year?

do check the attached price list
BSI ultimate is a service package that is, it covers all parts that has to be replaced during servicing due to normal wear and tear.that covers everything including for example a gearbox failure.so no money spent to service the car for 5 years or 60,000km which ever is earlier. i geuss the confusion is due to the word all inclusive it refers to the servicing part of the car alone.

BSI secure is just an insurance addon where after a crash what ever was not covered by the original insurance due to say rubber and plastic parts 40% etc, is covered by bmw secure. effectively making sure in the event of an accident you have to pay nothing. except you loose the NCB of 20 percent that is given to you when you renew the same next year.

Still not clear?,well then say i have a major shunt bill is about 2 lakhs. the actual car insurance pays about 1.5 lakhs the rest is not not paid due to it being plastic and rubber parts. the Bmw secure package allows you to claim the rest( 50,000) form their side.

Very good car and excellent review. The last line you said, you are not the person to write a review but when I was reading the review I was thinking that you should be part of reviewer at team-bhp :)

0 to 100 in 8.3 sec is impressive from 2 liter diesel engine.

Mileage is very low from the Efficient Dynamic engine.

Tough suspension is really bad for Indian roads ? I am surprised to hear that steering is so heavy to make forearms paining.

60,000 KM is very less for the warranty period 5 year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abishek2222 (Post 2405872)
.. do check the attached price list
BSI ultimate is a service package that is, it covers all parts that has to be replaced during servicing due to normal wear and tear.that covers everything including for example a gearbox failure.so no money spent to service the car for 5 years or 60,000km which ever is earlier. i geuss the confusion is due to the word all inclusive it refers to the servicing part of the car alone.

BSI secure is just an insurance addon where after a crash what ever was not covered by the original insurance due to say rubber and plastic parts 40% etc, is covered by bmw secure. effectively making sure in the event of an accident you have to pay nothing. except you loose the NCB of 20 percent that is given to you when you renew the same next year.

Still not clear?,well then say i have a major shunt bill is about 2 lakhs. the actual car insurance pays about 1.5 lakhs the rest is not not paid due to it being plastic and rubber parts. the Bmw secure package allows you to claim the rest( 50,000) form their side.

Thanks for explaining it!

So, BMW secure + regular insurance = 0% depreciation insurance policy. While, BSI covers all your service costs. Great deal I would say, no wonder BMW is the top luxury car maker, ahead of Mercedes in our country.

My best wishes for a trouble free ownership!

Hi abishek

Congrats on the Beemer. Hope I have the ONE down the years to come.

Steering is that hard :eek: or what. It hurts to hear that. BSI packages look good compared to the peace of mind it offers. Small suggestion, try accommodating the thrishti rope away from the kidney grills.

Happy X1 piloting and wish your muscles a good workout;).

P.S: Can your share the scale model pricing. Details are phenomenal. Did you take it from dealer??

Congrats on getting a fine little BMW, I had one for a day recently and have to say I liked it a lot for what it offers and honestly liked the Steering wheel a lot considering it's hydraulic.

What surprised me on your report is the mileage, I mean I have a 530d and my uncle drives a 520d both being heavier and a bigger engine also have even in worst driving conditions given me 8.5+ so you might want to take a look on that front with the BMW dealer?

Do keep updating this thread on how it fares, also do post more on the interior front on how it holds up over time as I found a few areas with very hard plastic parts, would love more insight on this from a daily user.

And once again congrats for choosing a wonderful car from one of the finest brands out there,

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by autofreak (Post 2405925)
Steering is that hard :eek: or what. It hurts to hear that.

accommodating the thrishti rope away from the kidney grills.

P.S: Can your share the scale model pricing. Details are phenomenal. Did you take it from dealer??

here is a post i found

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2348644)
The steering is HPS(AFAIK) and it is very heavy at parking speeds, but great for spirited driving.

when you are stuck in immobile traffic and you want to cut in and out of lanes repeatedly it makes life difficult.this is just the practical aspect.where one finger on the EPS of a honda is enough,here i feel like i am trying to move a couple of kilos on my hand. yes it is great for driving fast no complaints there.

As for the thrishti rope tried that but there is no other place where i can put that as even the toe hook is concealed inside the bumper.

Scale model was about 4,500 it wasn't was purchased outside. don't the price here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S350L-E240 (Post 2405949)

What surprised me on your report is the mileage, I mean I have a 530d and my uncle drives a 520d both being heavier and a bigger engine also have even in worst driving conditions given me 8.5+ so you might want to take a look on that front with the BMW dealer?

Don't know will check up on it.Maybe the driving style has something to do with it. ideally i think i should check with the 320D owners on how much FE they get.

Can anyone who has an automatic tell me the quickest way to accelerate away from a traffic light?

I see your car between the old Airport Road and Marathahalli. if you see a black Skoda flashing lights, its me!