Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 11:53   #16
BHPian

Re: 2010 Porsche Carrera 4S Review

Impressively long and detailed review Didnt think you'd bother writing so much when you could be actually driving the car instead! And at least in Kuwait you have the roads where you can actually enjoy driving the car. Have fun with it, cheers!
Old 8th June 2011, 12:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review StanJohn. I honestly did not expect it to be this good! You've done a remarkable job covering the entire car. You haven't left any details at all!

Could pass off as a review by the moderators, to be honest!

I sense a lot of passion in your words. I'm glad you enjoyed this car, it is a phenomenal piece of engineering and technology. A brilliant car without doubt!

Here is my take on a few things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The Smaller yet significant things:
Quote:
Window switch's are all one touch up/down operated. Just hold it fully down for 2 seconds for the one touch option. Seems like even German plastic can't last 40,000 Km.That's poor quality.
Very true. The quality on some bits in Porsches are a little iffy. It's disappointing, because you expect better when one shells out so much for a car of this caliber.

Quote:
This was the only knob i could find to control the side mirrors. There is no option to fold them electronically. Is this another over sight from Porsche ?
Again, a very important feature left out. I'm a little shocked by this.

Quote:
The not so user friendly paddle shifters. They are all great to touch and feel though.The other buttons are volume control, return button and never tried this one out.All Rake of high quality.
The toggle-switches on the earlier PDK variants are honestly not great. Both toggles on either side of the wheel do exactly the same thing, so you'd rather use just one. Push up to go up a gear and push down to downshift. Weird, I must say.

However, Porsche has replaced the entire toggle-setup on newer 911s with a more intuitive and smarter paddle-shifters that are much better. They work more in the same lines as that of a Ferrari's or a Lamborghini's.

Not sure if there paddles are available on all Carreras. It might be an option. But it is standard on the Turbo.

Quote:
What you won't:
  • No push button start/remote start.
  • Ignition on the wrong side of steering wheel.
The car starts with the traditional insertion of key in ignition and turning it. But it won't start unless you press the brake pedal and leave the gear lever on 'P'. Missed the push button start and keyless entry a little but it's a small complaint. A big complaint though is that the ignition is on the wrong side(Left of the steering wheel), 99 % of the time I was searching for it on the right hand side as it's a habit to find it there in all other cars.
There is actually a reason why the key-slot is on the 'wrong' side.

You see, back in the day when Porsche engineered their cars for Le Mans and Touring-Car Championships ,the concept of pole-position was slightly different during the early races.

The drivers were required to stand together several yards behind the cars and when the green flag would be waived, they would run to their cars, start and drive away, thus commencing the race.

Porsche realized that there is a novel way with which they could shave a second or so off by incorporating the key-slot on the other side.

You see, when you jump into any other LHD car, you hold the key in your right hand and slot the key in with your right hand and once you've started the car, you engage gear with the same right hand and drive off, right? Well, Porsche's idea is that if the key-slot is at the other side, one could use the left hand to turn the key whilst simultaneously engaging gear.

The drivers could get into their Porsches and drive off very quickly.

Porsche saved a good couple of seconds after they implemented this idea and always managed head starts!

Quote:

Porsche Composite Ceramic Brakes are fade free and dissipate heat quite effectively. It has to be one of the best brakes in the world. I could brake very late and more confidently at many sharp corners at speeds.And every time it just keeps stopping the same way. Its just amazing. Words alone can't describe it. It's that good.
Stan, I'm pretty sure the Carrera 4S that you've driven is not equipped with PCCB. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes are an option and looks like this option wasn't ticked for this particular Carrera.

PCCBs are identified by yellow-brake-calipers. The stock brakes have red-calipers from the factory. But the moment you tick the PCCB option on your Porsche, the red-calipers are replaced with yellow ones to identify the option change.

Quote:
Well a little disappointed in the tech front.
The thing about Porsche, just like Audi (with their R8) is that almost everything is an option. Yes, the levels of customization is astonishing, but to get that you need to shell out big bucks. Disappointing.

Quote:
The other button next to it on the left actually raises the rear boot ventilation lid a bit as shown below. I believe it's to aid in ventilation and help create down force.
More for down-force, actually. That's the spoiler that automatically rises beyond a certain speed (50 mph) I think.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th June 2011 at 12:37.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:26   #18
BHPian

I must agree that this vehicle is an absolute stonker and believe me you don't buy them for the cheap frills but for the heavenly thrills.

I would most happily ignore the lack of keyless entry, push button start, rear seats, heck even the cup holders are not needed if I have that engine and maybe that Super Sport button!!!

Quote:
Window switch's are all one touch up/down operated. Just hold it fully down for 2 seconds for the one touch option. Seems like even German plastic can't last 40,000 Km.That's poor quality.
It is a common scenario with many convertibles plying on Asian roads. The level of heat and moisture along with undistributed pattern of rains does take its toll on plastics no matter how good their quality may be.

Quote:
Carbon fiber door handles and side airbags logo.
I doubt that the door handles are carbon fiber. More like matt polish much like VW vehicles we get here in India.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Mind blowing review Stan. Kudos to the efforts you have put in to create it!
Thanks a lot CliffHanger. This was my first review on t-bhp and honestly I had no idea of putting up a review,in fact i had no idea of taking the Porsche in the first place.I just liked her looks at first glance and because of it's brand image I thought why not give it a shot and I had so many pictures clicked of her maybe because of t-bhp effect , so I thought why not put up a review so you guys could also enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
A Very nice review of the Porsche.

The Quality is not there in a Porsche. I have seen a lot of Cost cutting measures in the Cayenne which they disguise under Weight Saving. I will be frank though. The car really needs to be light for you to feel racy.

I would not want to put off the PSM.

Could you send me a pm explaining as to why Ferrari's are burning to the ground ? I had not expected this from Ferrari.
Thanks Supercars. Ferrari's burning to the ground was a technical problem which was due to a flammable glue that they had been using near the fuel tank I guess, that would get combusted easily. They've rectified it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Truely amazing review, for an amazing car !!

Rating 5 Stars.
Thanks a lot Torquedo. I'm totally flattered and glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet_b View Post
Good lord...
Great Review. Thanks for posting this Stanjohn.
Thanks a lot Puneet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Impressively long and detailed review Didnt think you'd bother writing so much when you could be actually driving the car instead! And at least in Kuwait you have the roads where you can actually enjoy driving the car. Have fun with it, cheers!
Honestly I never thought of taking this car in the first place. Secondly I never planned on reviewing her too. But I had a good time with her surprisingly which i never expected and had a lots of photos. So i thought it'd be great to share it with you guys too. Hope you enjoyed it.

I could not rip her fully to be honest. I mean I did not touch her top speed. Problem is there are a lot of speed cameras here nowadays and I am not aware of where all they've fitted it. Plus traffic penalties are very very tough, so didn't want to risk anything. But the thing with this car is you'll really appreciate her grunt in the lower gears. She keeps ripping. You'll just be smiling all the way. At least i did not miss not taking her to the top speed.
Old 8th June 2011, 22:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Excellent review StanJohn. I honestly did not expect it to be this good! You've done a remarkable job covering the entire car. You haven't left any details at all!

Could pass off as a review by the moderators, to be honest!

Thanks a lot Suhaas and I really appreciate all the info that you had given me earlier.

Quote:

Again, a very important feature left out. I'm a little shocked by this.

Who'd have thought Porsche would over look this small little feature

Quote:

There is actually a reason why the key-slot is on the 'wrong' side.

You see, back in the day when Porsche engineered their cars for Le Mans and Touring-Car Championships ,the concept of pole-position was slightly different during the early races.

The drivers were required to stand together several yards behind the cars and when the green flag would be waived, they would run to their cars, start and drive away, thus commencing the race.

Porsche realized that there is a novel way with which they could shave a second or so off by incorporating the key-slot on the other side.

You see, when you jump into any other LHD car, you hold the key in your right hand and slot the key in with your right hand and once you've started the car, you engage gear with the same right hand and drive off, right? Well, Porsche's idea is that if the key-slot is at the other side, one could use the left hand to turn the key whilst simultaneously engaging gear.

The drivers could get into their Porsches and drive off very quickly.

Porsche saved a good couple of seconds after they implemented this idea and always managed head starts!

Wow , you sure do know a lot about Porsche's . Thanks for enlightening me once again.

Quote:

Stan, I'm pretty sure the Carrera 4S that you've driven is not equipped with PCCB. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes are an option and looks like this option wasn't ticked for this particular Carrera.

PCCBs are identified by yellow-brake-calipers. The stock brakes have red-calipers from the factory. But the moment you tick the PCCB option on your Porsche, the red-calipers are replaced with yellow ones to identify the option change.

Really apologize for this. Even I had a confusion with the brakes. SInce usually in other sports cars the usual brakes are iron grey in color and the optioned brakes come in red color. Plus these brakes are very good themselves. So i got fooled into believing they are the optioned ones.

Quote:

The thing about Porsche, just like Audi (with their R8) is that almost everything is an option. Yes, the levels of customization is astonishing, but to get that you need to shell out big bucks. Disappointing.

There is an advantage to it. You feel much more exclusive and people actually stare and appreciate these cars.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 8th June 2011 at 22:39. Reason: Did not end quote properly
Old 8th June 2011, 22:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

I would most happily ignore the lack of keyless entry, push button start, rear seats, heck even the cup holders are not needed if I have that engine and maybe that Super Sport button!!!
You're damn right about this point. You totally forget about everything while in this car. All you would care about is the steering wheel and the pedals. Ok and also the A/c in this very hot summer. In fact my photo sessions started only after driving her for 2 full days. Only then was I fiddling with the music system and other switch's in the car.

Quote:

It is a common scenario with many convertibles plying on Asian roads. The level of heat and moisture along with undistributed pattern of rains does take its toll on plastics no matter how good their quality may be.
Still this is no excuse for poor quality plastics. How come the Japanese make good quality long lasting(for at least 4-5 years) peel resistant plastics ?

Quote:

I doubt that the door handles are carbon fiber. More like matt polish much like VW vehicles we get here in India.
You could never say with Porsche, you would have seen the level's they've gone for weight reduction in the GT-2/3. Even the Porsche emblem is made out of a sticker.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Stan for a nice review. The videos are nice too, but would have loved to see the DRLs & brake lights in nights / twilight environment.

The plastic quality in the car is shocking!
Old 9th June 2011, 00:06   #23
BHPian

Now that was an amazing write up. Well man, you are one lucky son of a gun to own such a classic! It's my all time favourite!
Kuwait is another perfect place to buy all these cars, but the traffic has become so bad these days you really go bumper to bumper in between!

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 9th June 2011 at 00:10.
Old 9th June 2011, 00:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot Suhaas and I really appreciate all the info that you had given me earlier.

Really apologize for this. Even I had a confusion with the brakes. SInce usually in other sports cars the usual brakes are iron grey in color and the optioned brakes come in red color. Plus these brakes are very good themselves. So i got fooled into believing they are the optioned ones.
My pleasure Stan.

I'm not surprised. The standard brakes on the 911 are good enough to knock yer fillings out. The advantages of equipping your car with carbon-ceramics is that they're almost fade-free and much lighter than the regular units. However, some of the earlier cars like the Mercedes SLR was highly criticized for its brakes. Not that they weren't good. They were carbon-ceramics too, but they had almost no feel.

It's true. Ferrari offers its cars with red brake-calipers and the rotors are carbon-ceramic, and now its standard across the range. PCCBs are standard on the track-day variants of the 911, like the 911 GT3/RS and the GT2/RS and on the Turbo S as well. The Carrera GT is one of the first cars to be factory-equipped with ceramic-composites, but unlike the SLR, they seem to have got it right.

Quote:
There is an advantage to it. You feel much more exclusive and people actually stare and appreciate these cars.
Exactly.

There are so many boxes one can tick before buying your Porsche. The 911 comes with the option of at least 4 different types of wheels. But Porsche does sell 'special-editions' of the 911's various guises that come loaded to the gills with everything, including a limited-edition emblem. Heck, there is a new, very limited version of the Turbo that commemorates 10 years of Porsche's presence in China!
Old 9th June 2011, 00:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks Stan for a nice review. The videos are nice too, but would have loved to see the DRLs & brake lights in nights / twilight environment.

The plastic quality in the car is shocking!
Thanks for your positive feedback swiftnfurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Now that was an amazing write up. Well man, you are one lucky son of a gun to own such a classic! It's my all time favourite!
Kuwait is another perfect place to buy all these cars, but the traffic has become so bad these days you really go bumper to bumper in between!
Thank you rosh. Yes the traffic has become worse but the best time to drive her would be on Fri and sat early morning. There is no traffic at all.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You could never say with Porsche, you would have seen the level's they've gone for weight reduction in the GT-2/3. Even the Porsche emblem is made out of a sticker.
Believe me bro, that ain't Carbon fibre. Carbon fibre is textured somewhat like the pic below. Further, I can understand dashboards, body parts made out of carbon fibre but why would someone just make a door handle and accents in carbon fibre.

2010 Porsche Carrera 4S Review-carbon_fibre6.jpg
Old 10th June 2011, 10:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe me bro, that ain't Carbon fibre. Carbon fibre is textured somewhat like the pic below. Further, I can understand dashboards, body parts made out of carbon fibre but why would someone just make a door handle and accents in carbon fibre.

Attachment 557301
Assuming you are right. Why isn't the same texture used on the front and rear bumpers of the 458 Italia ? I know they are carbon fibers for sure in the Fezza.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:26   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Assuming you are right. Why isn't the same texture used on the front and rear bumpers of the 458 Italia ? I know they are carbon fibers for sure in the Fezza.
Carbon-fibre need not necessarily be exposed. Some car-makers paint the carbon body-work. But some makers choose not to, like Pagani with their Zonda R.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Carbon-fibre need not necessarily be exposed. Some car-makers paint the carbon body-work. But some makers choose not to, like Pagani with their Zonda R.
Guess I was wrong about the door handles then.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:59   #30
BHPian

I am dvising people not to go for Carbon Brakes as they become effective slowly. The Carbon brakes need a lot of heat and I am sure in everyday driving conditions; you will never reach their operating temperature and they are uber costly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks